Let's keep it real here - Americans only "revere" a person once they are dead...

edeeesq
edeeesq Members Posts: 511
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
I'm watching this "wedding" and I'm watching all the happiness throughout the land of England (gag) and to keep it real, the ONLY time we see Americans honor our nations leaders is at their funeral.

Is this a cultural thing, or what?

Edit: Celebrities get a lot of love, but that's a completely different topic

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    True to a degree.

MLK and Malcolm X were largely pariahs toward the end of their lives. Now that they are dead, they are iconic.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited April 2011
    If these were Obama's daughters, there would've been a protest by some birthers and another group protesting the war....

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2011
    it's easier to do it once people are dead and you can frame their life more conveniently to highlight the good parts.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    dude. stop it.

Quit embarrassing yourself, with dishonesty here.

Q: When the U.S.A.'s White-racist founding fathers, were having a ball enslaving my Black ancestors during the Transatlantic Slave Trade......guess who was constantly antagonizing yon Founding Fathers and continually calling for them to release Black Slaves?? And return them to their home-lands, cultures, and ethnicities?

A: yesterday's groom, Prince Williams', Great-great grandparents!

You mean the same one who was simulataneously colonizing Africans and Asians? The great great great grand son of King James?
    How magnanimous of him to object to that while slaughtering Zulus and colonizing Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Southern Cameroon, and Sierra Leone; in British East Africa there was Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania (formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar); and in British South Africa there was South Africa, Northern Rhodesia (Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), Nyasaland (Malawi), Lesotho, Botswana, and Swaziland
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    they arent really revering as commercializing its about capitalizing
    and celebrities are our equivalent to royalty in some respect.
    young ice i agree with u 110%
    me and the wife were just talking bout this when i threw in that alot of the jewels were from colonized countries and are part of there heritage.
    check out the podcasts from stuff they dont teach in history...
  • REAL_POETICAL
    REAL_POETICAL Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I agree with this thread...its moments like this where I just shake my head at this country...we the only country that look at death as a time of togetherness and other important things gets the under the rug treatment