people of abrahamic faith:do you consider emotions perfect or flawed??

Options
Ra_Nkala
Ra_Nkala Members Posts: 48
edited May 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
from an religious prospective would you agree that emotions cause sin? if yes, then would emotions be flawed by default? also, whats your perspective on how your ? considers emotions?

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ra_Nkala wrote: »
    from an religious prospective would you agree that emotions cause sin? if yes, then would emotions be flawed by default? also, whats your perspective on how your ? considers emotions?

What up Ra.

I don't think emotion causes sin. I think the giving in to emotion can lead to sin. Emotion to me is a powerful force that if harnessed by our analytical mind can make us accomplish great things. A dude name Daniel Goleman has a book called Emotional Intelligence that addresses this subject.

My creator has emotion he is just not ruled by it. The Creative Force provides for all regardless to class, creed, and color, however he is not swayed by emotional pleas that are temporal. The Universe is ruled by Justice. That is a principle in life that says that you receive based on the work that you do.

You got me thinking, Im going to study that tonight............
  • Ra_Nkala
    edited May 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    What up Ra.

I don't think emotion causes sin. I think the giving in to emotion can lead to sin. Emotion to me is a powerful force that if harnessed by our analytical mind can make us accomplish great things. A dude name Daniel Goleman has a book called Emotional Intelligence that addresses this subject.

My creator has emotion he is just not ruled by it. The Creative Force provides for all regardless to class, creed, and color, however he is not swayed by emotional pleas that are temporal. The Universe is ruled by Justice. That is a principle in life that says that you receive based on the work that you do.

You got me thinking, Im going to study that tonight............

not a ton, cant brag cant complain. whats good?

let me give you an ex. and tell me if you agree. if i work hard at a job and feel that i deserve a promotion as new vice president but someone else i feel doesn't deserve it gets the position and out of anger and jealousy i come to work and ? everyone. now from a abrahamic perspective lets evaluate the situation. the problem is ive committed a sin which is murder. now every problem has a root cause and that cause was my emotions, now if those emotions were absent to cause the problem then there would be no sin. do you agree??
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I believe the issue isn't about whether emotions cause you to sin. I believe it is whether or not we can make the same discernments that ? makes with our emotions. Can we be angry or jealous and say that ? approves of it?
  • Ra_Nkala
    edited May 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I believe the issue isn't about whether emotions cause you to sin. I believe it is whether or not we can make the same discernments that ? makes with our emotions. Can we be angry or jealous and say that ? approves of it?

my argument is if emotions are flawed then by default ? is also flawed and therefore not perfect.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    my argument is if emotions are flawed then by default ? is also flawed and therefore not perfect.

I don't believe it is up to anybody to determine what is or isn't flawed in respect to ? .
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    not a ton, cant brag cant complain. whats good?

let me give you an ex. and tell me if you agree. if i work hard at a job and feel that i deserve a promotion as new vice president but someone else i feel doesn't deserve it gets the position and out of anger and jealousy i come to work and ? everyone. now from a abrahamic perspective lets evaluate the situation. the problem is ive committed a sin which is murder. now every problem has a root cause and that cause was my emotions, now if those emotions were absent to cause the problem then there would be no sin. do you agree??

Well, I think a person without emotions would be a prime candidate for a serial killer. LOL

That was an emotional reaction you described. However, what about the emotion of someone who realizes that if he does that he would cause some people alot of grief, pain, and heartache, so he refrains?

As you well know, from the state of our early fathers, we viewed everything as connected and circular as opposed to the linear view of the Western Man. Love and hate are really the same emotional force just directed in opposite directions. Emotion is as natural as the air we breath. The problem is not the emotion, it is the inability to put those emotions in their proper place. A sin is a transgression against nature. Killing is not unnatural if done in accord with nature. We ? to eat. Whether vegetarian or carnivore, life is needed to sustain life. That is natural. The person you described is imbalanced. His self worth is tied into somebody else perception of him, i.e promotion. That has nothing to do with emotion as much that his analytical mind or intellect is underdeveloped. If it was developed he would realize he is greater and more valuable than his job.

Black people in particular(and most people in general) suffer from overdeveloped emotions and underdeveloped intellect. Are we stupid? No. It is just we have been disconnected from our source and placed in an unnatural environment and condition that we are not functioning properly or in accord with our nature.

Emotion is necessary it just has to be tempered with strong intellect, otherwise it is like a train coming off the tracks.