(VIDEO) Tavis Smiley & Al Sharpton Beefing Live On The Radio About Obama

Options
2»

Comments

• musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    @music I dont think there are near enough educated black Americans. Plenty yes but not near enough. BUt I agree with the part about us controlling more industries but thats partly because there are less industries to control in the US.

From the Baltimore Afro-American:

"Nearly 4.6 million African-Americans hold a four-year college degree, a new high, but a large racial gap in degree attainment still exists and does not appear to be shrinking, according to a report in the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education."

that doesn't even count the ones with associates, masters, phd's, certifications & profitable church's. what that shows is the fact that our educated class is not leading the general population as with other ethnicities. this is shameful. this also proves your point but this group needs to be targeted for mass business ownership and developement. that way the black American educated class can target the direction in which black America goes.

also, there are plenty industries which we can claim stake in because we support them (fast food, utilities, auto repair/maintainence, real estate, cable, telecommunications, retail, produce, alchohol/tobacco, wholesale & finance.) but their is one industry wherein we could absolutely dominate. THE 9 BILLION PER YEAR BLACK HAIR CARE INDUSTRY. we already buy the products & patronize our local black owned barbershops & hair salons, but the Koreans are getting too large of a cut on the wholesale and definately the retail end. this is unnacceptable. we need the educated class & small business owners united to go and target what we want to control. until then, well always be looking for handouts.

Affirmitive action is having the ability to help your own & say ? the other guys. that way giving YOUR group a head start at the expense of others. thats really what America is about. HOW LONG ARE WE GONNA BE A DONKY?
  • musicology1985
    edited February 2010
    Options
    phanatron wrote: »
    First off, we don't have enough black Americans in college. I am in Law school right now, and I can tell you right now, the amount of African Americans represented is extremely low. In fact, there are are 10x as many Jews in my law school than there are African Americans. I graduate in May and in my graduating class, there are 3 African Americans graduating out of of a class of almost 200.

Second, we don't have enough blacks graduating high school. Look at the numbers. If you think people are going to open their own business that can hire in mass without having a quality education, think again.

your right about the per capita numbers but overall your wrong. in the detroit area there is 80,000 chaldeans. THEY ALSO OWN 6,000 ESTABLISHMENTS. we have enough educated blacks to do the same. there is no reason for us to be muscled out of every major city market. and most chaldean men do not hold degrees, but they own your block. same thing with the jews u mentioned. they got the money to go to school in mass from old money built from small NYC business that their ancestors owned.
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    sharpton is ass and tavis is only mad because obama never went on his lousy little show
  • phanatron
    phanatron Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    your right about the per capita numbers but overall your wrong. in the detroit area there is 80,000 chaldeans. THEY ALSO OWN 6,000 ESTABLISHMENTS. we have enough educated blacks to do the same. there is no reason for us to be muscled out of every major city market. and most chaldean men do not hold degrees, but they own your block. same thing with the jews u mentioned. they got the money to go to school in mass from old money built from small NYC business that their ancestors owned.

I used to live in Detroit so I know the area and yes, there is a large influx of 'Chaldeans'...some call them other things, but we'll stick with that. Yes, they own liquor stores and ? shops and the like. Those aren't what I consider to be mass sources of employment. Those who are hired are generally family members and what not.

If you know much about immigration, you'll understand how these people have managed to get over here, start their own business, and hire their family members. Starting your own business in the US is one the quickest ways to ensure your residency status. After a person reaches the age of majority (18) they are no longer covered under their parents legal status. Getting a job at their parent's business is a way to gain their own status. I've worked on this issue with immigrants and I've walked people through the immigration process.

The point is, foreigners have incentives to create their own businesses and generally, they come here with more money than the average black in the US. Mass employment comes from invention and inovation. This requires education.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    sharpton is ass and tavis is only mad because obama never went on his lousy little show

Thanks for participating "MY BROTHA".....

2rftvyo.jpg
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    pfffffffttttttt

shaddup you ? , aint nobody on earth care what Tavis Smiley and his half hour PBS talk show is about

and al sharpton has NEVER been relevant
  • musicology1985
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I used to live in Detroit so I know the area and yes, there is a large influx of 'Chaldeans'...some call them other things, but we'll stick with that. Yes, they own liquor stores and ? shops and the like. Those aren't what I consider to be mass sources of employment. Those who are hired are generally family members and what not.

If you know much about immigration, you'll understand how these people have managed to get over here, start their own business, and hire their family members. Starting your own business in the US is one the quickest ways to ensure your residency status. After a person reaches the age of majority (18) they are no longer covered under their parents legal status. Getting a job at their parent's business is a way to gain their own status. I've worked on this issue with immigrants and I've walked people through the immigration process.

The point is, foreigners have incentives to create their own businesses and generally, they come here with more money than the average black in the US. Mass employment comes from invention and inovation. This requires education.

I know the story man I'm in the same spot. bottom line, how come we owned most of our own establishements prior to 1970 & now we don't own nearly as much. and yes small business would help with mass employment (it's the biggest part of growth in our economy) as well as the industry through education you spoke of. BOOKER T WASHINGTON ALREADY LAID THE BLUEPRINT. IN 2010 WE GOT 4 MILLION BLACK AMERICANS WITH MASTERS DEGREES ALONE. so where's the invention & innovation? we had plenty prior to 1970. what happned?

Ill tell u, we started getting these jobs from others after 1970 & became complacement with that. we was "moving on up like george & weezey." unfortunately martin luther king forgot to tell us that the foundation was weak.
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    shaddup you ? , aint nobody on earth care what Tavis Smiley and his half hour PBS talk show is about

and al sharpton has NEVER been relevant

Its not about his show you ? .. instead of being the great Sultan of trolling know what the hell you are talking about before you talk..
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Its not about his show you ? .. instead of being the great Sultan of trolling know what the hell you are talking about before you talk..

i know exactly whats goin on

yall talmbout obama not repping the "black agenda"

and the reason he doesnt do that is very simple: there isnt any black agenda
  • musicology1985
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Minority-Owned Businesses

Black-owned businesses are the fastest growing segment, up 45 percent between 1997-2002. Revenues generated by the nation's 1.2 million black-owned businesses rose 25 percent between 1997 and 2002 to $88.8 billion in 2002. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau)

The number of U.S. businesses with Hispanic owners grew at three times the national average from 1997 to 2002 to 1.6 million businesses in 2002, a 31 percent increase from five years earlier. (Source: MSNBC)
  • musicology1985
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i know exactly whats goin on

yall talmbout obama not repping the "black agenda"

and the reason he doesnt do that is very simple: there isnt any black agenda

There is an agenda. it's just that we need to get more hardline & effecient & stop being so soft & disorganized.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I think, at least from my perspective, Obama is addressing black issues. I'm not saying, nor was Sharpton, that Obama shouldn't do for black people. What I am saying is that he is doing for black people without going out and saying 'oh look, this is for black people'. Just like he's doing for Hispanics without going and shouting it out on the mountain tops. One of the ways he's doing it directly is by directing the Attorney General to lower the priority of raiding 'illegal' work areas where many day laborers (who are Hispanic) gather.
    Well that wouold be illegal anyway lol And if he is in fact doing for black people please provide specific examples of things that directly affect black people. Because all I remember you saying is is the AG review of sentencing guidelines. Speaking of the AG another example of Obama cowaring when anything about race comes up is when AG said "we are a nation of cowards" and white people went ape ? . Obama threw his black ass under the bus quick. Meanwhile when racists call him names at the tea parties he just dismisses it as "Americans are worried in these trying times." What a ? .

But we agree on him not screaming it to the mountain tops but with Hispanics he just came right out and defended them. Remember he went off on that old lady who wanted to blame immigrants for low employment. And he went off on someone else for blaming immigrants for low employment of blacks. So funny how he can directly defend HIspanics and shows a spine of steel for them. But when a cop "Acts stupidly" and white people get mad at him for stating the obvious he tucks his tail like a good "BOY." I wish he would stop trying to pretend he's "a good ? " because I could see if it was working but whites still voted for McCain in a landslide and most of them still hate him and people who look like him. YOUNG whites voted for him not anybody else.
    Thirdly, on the bailout. This was not for rich white people. This was for the United States as Super Power and probably more important than any war that we've engaged in in the last 60 years. I don't want to go into the details of this because of the complexities involved. I helped a friend of mind write is dissertation on this subject , so I'm really comfortable discussing the topic. The sad part about 'the bailout' is that most people don't understand what happened, why it happened, and what the result would have been had nothing happened.
    I'm not saying it wasnt needed I'm saying he hopped to it when rich white bankers needed assistance. Congress didnt give ? to the middle class (hair salon owners, small businesses) nor did he push for anything.
    In regards to Republican support, when the first bill went to the House for the bailout, Republicans voted in mass against it. The first bill failed and the Dow dropped 200 points in the last hour of trading for the day and then an additional 700 points the next day. A superpower is a superpower because of its economic might and it collapses when its economy collapses (see Russia, Britian, Rome..etc). Each 100 points on the Dow represents $1 trillion loss. Do the math. This is what caused the bailout bill to pass. To this day, Republicans/whites hate the bailout and it is the source of the motivation for the Tea Parties.
    I am not arguing that the bailout wasnt necessary. I know it was. BUt you're missing the point. Who did the bailout help? Not my black ass. Classes are still being cancelled. People are still out of work. "It would have been worse" doesnt matter to people like me. I think what people like you dont understand (I'm assuming you're connected because of your saying you are working on legislation) that to us normal people it all sounds like ?
  • BOSS KTULU
    edited February 2010
    Options
    There is an agenda. it's just that we need to get more hardline & effecient & stop being so soft & disorganized.

lol hardline what? capitalist? is the black agenda just "im gettin mooooney, im gettin mooooney" like OJ da Juiceman said?

all of this is just more evidence for my theory that black people are now white people
  • c_gutta1
    c_gutta1 Members Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Go to the "What Would A Black Agenda Look Like" thread I addressed it there.

But basically the same thing he has no problem doing for whites that are specifically tuned to their needs. He can start by paying attention and stop reducing black concerns to "turn the TV off and black men stepping up" as if that is the root cause of racism in this country.

But if your question is just a setup for you to defend him ad nosium because he's 1st Black President/Black Savior then please dont waste my time.

No, that was not the purpose of my post. I just want some clarity. After reading ur post in that thread im still not clear on wat u specifically think Obama can/should do for black Americans. U feel that there should be more pressure on black fathers to take care of their children. This doesn't seem too far off from wat Obama said about black men stepping up.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    c_gutta1 wrote: »
    No, that was not the purpose of my post. I just want some clarity. After reading ur post in that thread im still not clear on wat u specifically think Obama can/should do for black Americans.
    I was specific in what I said so if you dont get it now then you're either dont want to or dont have the ability. Obama could, if he wanted to, push for the things listed and he has not being he's afraid. If a black president wont do it it simply wont happen.

If youd ont understand that then conversation over because we wont be coming to any agreement on this particular issue.
    U feel that there should be more pressure on black fathers to take care of their children. This doesn't seem too far off from wat Obama said about black men stepping up.

I clearly stated that Obama should stop REDUCING THE SOLUTION TO BLACK MEN STEPPING UP & KIDS TURNING OFF THE TV. I clearly said that. Every time he's asked about the solution to problems that effect blacks he says those two points to appease whites. As if institutional racism & economic segregation and lack of economic empowerment has not a thing to do with it. And if you're going to reply with," well what do you expect?" then here's my answer. I EXPECT him to shut his mouth if he's just going to give cowardly answers. The only people he tends to blame are blacks. Any other group comes to him with a problem he's engaging. To blacks? Dismissive. Trying not misbehaved.

So either you're not paying attention or are guilty of selective reading. I was very clear in my answer to you. I can not help you understand any further.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My ? Ta-Nehisi Coates broke it the ? down:

A couple points:

1.) I think Al Sharpton is right that there is virtually nothing to be gained--and a lot to be lost--by trumpeting a black agenda. The fact that African-American leaders are, in the main, not doing this, from my perspective, is really smart and perceptive. People are already skittish about health care. It makes very little political sense--or even logical sense--for Obama to aid Glenn Beck in his crusade to cast health care reform as reparations.

2.) I don't know what a "black agenda" is. I can think of very few policies which I would say are good for black people, but aren't good for most of America. I think Tavis would agree. (His site says "a black agenda is an American agenda." But that only raises another question: why would we calling it a "black agenda?" Surely changing the way we approach incarceration would help black men, but were there no black men in this country, we still would do well to think about how we incarcerate people.

I'm at a loss to see what we gain by simplistically racializing problems that may well have a racial component, but aren't wholly, and in many cases even mainly, racial problems. To be clear that component should be called out. But it seems you implicitly alienate allies when you claim that broad problems are the property of specific communities.

Moreover, you do the work of your adversaries. Nothing would please them more than for America to think of incarceration as a "black problem" to be addressed by a "black agenda." People hear "black issue" and they feel relieved--"Oh well, it ain't my problem." Except that it is. And we should make them aware that it is.

realness, Tavis can eat a ? no homillz
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

A couple points:

1.) I think Al Sharpton is right that there is virtually nothing to be gained--and a lot to be lost--by trumpeting a black agenda. The fact that African-American leaders are, in the main, not doing this, from my perspective, is really smart and perceptive. People are already skittish about health care. It makes very little political sense--or even logical sense--for Obama to aid Glenn Beck in his crusade to cast health care reform as reparations.

2.) I don't know what a "black agenda" is. I can think of very few policies which I would say are good for black people, but aren't good for most of America. I think Tavis would agree. (His site says "a black agenda is an American agenda." But that only raises another question: why would we calling it a "black agenda?" Surely changing the way we approach incarceration would help black men, but were there no black men in this country, we still would do well to think about how we incarcerate people.

I'm at a loss to see what we gain by simplistically racializing problems that may well have a racial component, but aren't wholly, and in many cases even mainly, racial problems. To be clear that component should be called out. But it seems you implicitly alienate allies when you claim that broad problems are the property of specific communities.

Moreover, you do the work of your adversaries. Nothing would please them more than for America to think of incarceration as a "black problem" to be addressed by a "black agenda." People hear "black issue" and they feel relieved--"Oh well, it ain't my problem." Except that it is. And we should make them aware that it is.

Thats real, and from what i hae seen and heard of Holder at times.. and Obama is when they speak about working class during events and what not they are talking about people that include black people.. He cant make it seem like hes out there.. Being.. the "Black President" and When the people see fit they will take him to task like Sharpton/Cornel West has.. he cant micro manage what goes on in your hood..but can and should help as far as education goes
  • musicology1985
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lol hardline what? capitalist? is the black agenda just "im gettin mooooney, im gettin mooooney" like OJ da Juiceman said?

all of this is just more evidence for my theory that black people are now white people

lol man u funny as hell..... anyway, it's not about gettin' it because we been doing that. its about keeping it and making it work for us. now Darc already covered the human rights aspect, I just approached the issue from another angle because they are both equally important.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

A couple points:

realness, Tavis can eat a ? no homillz
    This is how you all get tripped up. Tavis isnt saying he should grow a fro and wear a dashiki to work and buy an afro pick with a fist in it. But what specific things has he done to aid black people? And dont mention health care because the public Option is gone and the bill will only help a few million people and only those who can afford to buy in to the pool.

So we can make a zillion excuses for Obama's desperate attempts to appease whites. But why has nobody noticed that they are already calling him a racist, already calling him these things, the majority of whites believe it with no proof what-so-ever? He is damned if he does damned if he doesnt....so he may as well DO.

Implementing legislation and using code words such as "low income" and "lower middle class" instead of BLACK can be done. But he doesnt want to have that fight. Why? Why is it blacks are always asked to "wait just a little while longer....be happy with the black president but not the black progress?" And most importantly why do you black people accept that ? ?

Sometimes I wish I could break off the black race and just create my own (Neo-Nubian we'd be called) cuz some ? dont deserve to be treated equally. ? are the only race of people who continuously make excuses for those who oppress them and the black people who are in positions to do something about it but would rather sooth a ? .
  • thespookwhosatbythed
    thespookwhosatbythed Banned Users Posts: 164
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i agree with musicology for the most part. before intergration we had jobs. after ? is umemployed. we dont need no damn educated ? with they masters and what not. if we did them ? would of stayed in the hood and helped out but they didnt. education really dont mean ? to me. as long as you can read, write, do arithmetic, and have a business savy about yourself youre cool. look at the drug dealers that start with a little sumin sumin and now they got workers under them.(i know a bad analogy but it is what it is) my father only has a high school diploma and my moms a ged but they was always saying be self sufficient and what not. the plight of blacks are easy. it dont take generations to fix our problems. it just takes the few ? who have wealth to help us put it together.