Options
13»

Comments

• allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    da champ wrote: »
    before i was a teacher i was a teacher's assistant. the school had 25 book campaign (tried to get everyone in the school to read 25 books).

because a lot of young males don't read, i took it upon myself to participate in the campaign by reading books from the school library and recommending them on the morning announcements. when one of them kids said, "every time i see you you're always holding a book. why do you act so white Mr. ______?" it just broke my heart.

seriously? some of our youth consider education or even just reading to be a white person's hobby?

Yeah, that's just sad.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    before i was a teacher i was a teacher's assistant. the school had 25 book campaign (tried to get everyone in the school to read 25 books).

because a lot of young males don't read, i took it upon myself to participate in the campaign by reading books from the school library and recommending them on the morning announcements. when one of them kids said, "every time i see you you're always holding a book. why do you act so white Mr. ______?" it just broke my heart.

seriously? some of our youth consider education or even just reading to be a white person's hobby?

Damn... smh lol.. Starts at home
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What is wrong with 'acting white'?
    According to some people, if you

are racist
    speak against equal-rights
    are hateful and xenophobic
    don't believe that tolerance has to be a part of your demeanor.
    etc.

then you're 'acting white'*

But if that is acting white, what is wrong with it?

Smh @ these people reserving all these things for white people.

* Now I don't believe it is possible to act white, I'm just using the phrase 'acting white' the way some people use it.
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    What is wrong with 'acting white'?

are racist
    speak against equal-rights
    are hateful and xenophobic
    don't believe that tolerance has to be a part of your demeanor.
    etc.

Smh @ these people reserving all these things for white people.

* Now I don't believe it is possible to act white, I'm just using the phrase 'acting white' the way some people use it.

What are you trying to say? And what does it have to do with this thread?
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lol...........
  • H-Rap 180
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What are you trying to say? And what does it have to do with this thread?

I know people that act "white", they spray-paint swastikas, hang nooses, and burn crosess.

They act racist, xenophobic, and intolerant like racict redneck white trash...I hate when people act white because they always want to colonize, and exploit.

They always treat people as inferiors, why do they have to act white like that??
  • **2sweet**
    **2sweet** Members Posts: 205
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I know people that act "white", they spray-paint swastikas, hang nooses, and burn crosess.

They act racist, xenophobic, and intolerant like racict redneck white trash...I hate when people act white because they always want to colonize, and exploit.

They always treat people as inferiors, why do they have to act white like that??

lol...ikr who wants to be extremely pale, smell like wet dogs and have no rhythm.?
  • H-Rap 180
    edited May 2011
    Options
    **2sweet** wrote: »
    lol...ikr who wants to be extremely pale, smell like wet dogs and have no rhythm.?

A Neanderthal???
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options

my homegirl teaches a Sunday school class...she told me like a month ago one of the kids in her class said "I don't have to be good at math. That's for white people"...that ? has been bothering her ever since...it's ? up the mentality that some parents impart on their kids
  • allreasoned_out
    edited May 2011
    Options

I hate all of that too. But how does saying that help black people? Listen, we come to racial issues from two radically different perspectives. I'm obsessed with race progress, and you're obsessed with the misdeeds of white people (not that there isn't a connection between the misdeeds of white people and black progress). To be sure, there is a time and place to talk about white crimes. But when I'm conversing among black people I'd much prefer to talk about strategies of self-improvement. Misguided ideas of 'acting white' is a genuine problem, and that's why I made this thread. Your posts aren't particularly helpful with respect to talking about this issue.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    there needs to be a movement to disassociate excellence from "acting white"...
    I was blessed as a youngin to be encouraged to excel why maintaining my cultural identity...

the thing is though is that type of attitude is mainly imposed by minorities on each other about being good at certain things being perceived as white...it's like people wanted to establish their own identity so bad that in turn they rejected everything that white culture valued...and to some that includes education, success and a desire to experience life outside your immediate community, hell even certain forms of entertainment are considered "white people entertainment" and you can catch some flak as a black person if you happen to enjoy it...it's a ? up mentality to have
  • H-Rap 180
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I hate all of that too. But how does saying that help black people? Listen, we come to racial issues from two radically different perspectives. I'm obsessed with race progress, and you're obsessed with the misdeeds of white people (not that there isn't a connection between the misdeeds of white people and black progress). To be sure, there is a time and place to talk about white crimes. But when I'm conversing among black people I'd much prefer to talk about strategies of self-improvement. Misguided ideas of 'acting white' is a genuine problem, and that's why I made this thread. Your posts aren't particularly helpful with respect to talking about this issue.

I highly doubt you are "obsessed" with race-progress, or else you wouldnt be asking silly questions like 'What is wrong with acting white" to a bunch of strangers.

At least be smart enough to post the Spike Lee transcript on this topic..

Give them some Vids, links, or reading materials because that chat ish is played out for the most part.

http://theloop21.com/society/acting-white-my-ass-beyond-the-myths-black-student-underperformance
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    dont forget
    amoral
    uppity
    hypocritical
    blasphemous
    organic
    145 flavors of coffee
    prescription drug abuse
    cult following
    oppressive
    yoga
    fetish
    culture vulture
    receding hairline
    golf fanatic
    serial killer
    exploiter
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Allreasonedout is an idiot

hrap flipped the thread on em
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

are educated
    speak proper english
    are polite and well-mannered
    don't believe that intimidation has to be a part of your demeanor.
    etc.

Smh @ these people reserving all the good things for white people.

The examples you gave are not "acting White", those are examples of "acting RIGHT", and most of the White people you meet don't act like that.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ive come to discover that we place a premium on certain accents and inflection. Most people dont speak properly, even the alleged "proper" speakers. ? up syntax, misuse of words, etc. We have a faint technical grasp on our language in america (generally speaking of course) . Im no exception lol

That applies to our educated and even public speakers (Bush, Reagen) as well. But, for whatever reason, we've come to associate that suburban white accent w/ "proper" speaking, even when in most cases IT ISNT. But, you know how it goes: If its all white, its alright

? , most foreigners ive come across who are proficient in English as an additional language speak more properly (in a technical sense) than most Americans.