TNA buying a lot of ad space in Stamford, CT.

mikelewis
mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Off The Turn Buckle
TNA has purchased a number of billboards in the Stamford, CT promoting their Impact Wrestling series with the tagline "Wrestling Matters Again."
In speaking to some WWE employees today, there are at least 4-5 in the Stamford area, including one right down the block from WWE HQ

source: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/58025/tna-takes-the-fight-to-wwe.html?p=1

And Jim Ross's response

"Yes...I heard about TNA putting up billboards in Stamford, Ct which is the world HQ of WWE. Thoughts? A complete waste of money unless obscure mentions such as this one is what TNA is looking for. Silly expenditure of money IMO. One would think that organization would have bigger and more important fish to fry. However, what TNA does isn't any of my business or concern but the question was asked and has now been addressed. I would guess that many WWE, Stamford based employees learned of TNA for the first time via the local billboards."

source: http://www.pwinsider.com/article/58035/tnas-ct-billboard-campaign-wwe-using-legends-at-live-events-and-more.html?p=1

Is this really necessary?? Is your product that solid to pull a move like this??

Comments

• sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    They saw it as important I guess...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    I would guess that many WWE, Stamford based employees learned of TNA for the first time via the local billboards

LOL damn

but on the real, right now, TNA is better than the WWE. TNA will never be as big though, there's been one dominate wresting brand for quite a long time, that's the WWF/WWE. After WCW went down, and ECW, that was it, WWE cemented that ? .

For TNA to get big, there would have to be a TNA vs WWE thing, like WCW vs WWF. I wouldn't like to see TNA mend with WWE though, knowing Vince he'd buy them out some how.

TNA's new slogan is funny though, Vince takes out the wrestling and TNA tries to capitalize on ol' heads by saying they are wrestling. Interesting take, and possibly smart. I would love to see TNA grow, their crowds are so small lol
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    TNA says they are focusing on wrestling, but most of their show is still ? skits written by the guy who killed WCW.

Better than WWE? C'mon, son.
  • VIBE
    edited May 2011
    TNA says they are focusing on wrestling, but most of their show is still ? skits written by the guy who killed WCW.

Better than WWE? C'mon, son.

He unknowingly killed the WCW, he was power hungry and killed it by letting others run ? .

Their story lines are way better than what the WWE has right now. They just need to stop with bring in stale old ass wrestlers...
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    word to Disco Inferno

Coming Soon to Impact Wrestling
  • mikelewis
    edited May 2011
    sobek wrote: »
    They saw it as important I guess...

And this is what's holding them back.

Look at ECW, they insulted both of the bigger federations, however at the same time created an identity for themselves for their fanbase to adopt to or strengthen upon. They tried to become the alternative and that's what worked.

TNA/Impact does not want to be an alternative IMO, they may try to pass themselves off as such, but what do they do differently than the WWE?? What stands out for fans to grasp hold on aside from nostalgia??
  • Mally_G
    edited May 2011
    Just as I said in another thread, TNA wants to confuse people into making the less than casual fan who's flipping channels to stumble upon their product and think they're WWE.

They have the old talent
    They have the colors
    They try to imitate the storylines
    They try to imitate the same script model for their show

Now placing billboard ads outside of WWE HQ only says they want the building to.

I don't understand why they wasted their money on the ad space when those in Stamford don't care for TNA as a wrestling promotion or a threat to their job security.

TNA tries to do the opposite of the WWE and they fail each and every time. If the WWE is blue, TNA is red, if the WWE is black, TNA is white. They scream for attention and no one pays them any mind. The mainstream doesn't know they even exist and if they happen to get mention on a mainstream "talk soup" show, the host or whomever thinks they are talking about ? N Ass and wonder why they're showing wrestling clips.

Instead of trying to emulate what the WWE has done or what they're doing, TNA should simply do whatever they want within the boundaries of what SpikeTV will allow in terms of content on the show. If they get rowdy with their action and have decent storylines that are compelling and makes sense; then people will start to pay attention. TNA can't go up to folks, tap them on the shoulder and say "hello, I'm here", no, they need to do whatever it takes within that ring and on their little show to get a buzz and that'll lead to people paying them attention.

It's laughable to simply buy ad space in front of your big brothers building, in hopes of what? Just like Webber said about the Heat during the season, "shut up with the complaining and crying, and go play the game". Taking, stealing, and borrowing from others won't create your own identity.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Just by talking about what TNA does every second is what keeps it relevant. Thank you.
  • VIBE
    edited May 2011
    Mally_G wrote: »
    Just as I said in another thread, TNA wants to confuse people into making the less than casual fan who's flipping channels to stumble upon their product and think they're WWE.

They have the old talent
    They have the colors
    They try to imitate the storylines
    They try to imitate the same script model for their show

Now placing billboard ads outside of WWE HQ only says they want the building to.

I don't understand why they wasted their money on the ad space when those in Stamford don't care for TNA as a wrestling promotion or a threat to their job security.

TNA tries to do the opposite of the WWE and they fail each and every time. If the WWE is blue, TNA is red, if the WWE is black, TNA is white. They scream for attention and no one pays them any mind. The mainstream doesn't know they even exist and if they happen to get mention on a mainstream "talk soup" show, the host or whomever thinks they are talking about ? N Ass and wonder why they're showing wrestling clips.

Instead of trying to emulate what the WWE has done or what they're doing, TNA should simply do whatever they want within the boundaries of what SpikeTV will allow in terms of content on the show. If they get rowdy with their action and have decent storylines that are compelling and makes sense; then people will start to pay attention. TNA can't go up to folks, tap them on the shoulder and say "hello, I'm here", no, they need to do whatever it takes within that ring and on their little show to get a buzz and that'll lead to people paying them attention.

It's laughable to simply buy ad space in front of your big brothers building, in hopes of what? Just like Webber said about the Heat during the season, "shut up with the complaining and crying, and go play the game". Taking, stealing, and borrowing from others won't create your own identity.

In a smart business move, TNA's move is extremely smart. THINK about it, really...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    He unknowingly killed the WCW, he was power hungry and killed it by letting others run ? .
    I guess you're talking about Bischoff. I was talking about Russo.

TNA hired BOTH OF THEM.
    Their story lines are way better than what the WWE has right now.
    They don't have storylines. They have car crash television that they book on the fly. They can't start or finish half their angles without Jeff Hardy spilling pills all over the ring.

And they're only finally realizing that a show about sweaty shirtless men shouldn't be named T N A.

It's a stupid company making ? moves as usual.
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited May 2011
    I guess you're talking about Bischoff. I was talking about Russo.

TNA hired BOTH OF THEM.

They don't have storylines. They have car crash television that they book on the fly. They can't start or finish half their angles without Jeff Hardy spilling pills all over the ring.

And they're only finally realizing that a show about sweaty shirtless men shouldn't be named T N A.

It's a stupid company making ? moves as usual.

Sounds like you're reverberating what you read from the internet or a WWE DVD LOL .. I don't care much for TNA's story writing but I noticed during the early years hen Russo was there they had some good storylines and direction, then by 2005 the wrestling was still good but they just couldnt build ANYONE.

But right now I'll definitely take IMPACT over RAW is Cena or Smackdown is Orton.
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited May 2011
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Just by talking about what TNA does every second is what keeps it relevant. Thank you.

So what? If everyone talks about how stupid they are, what difference does being relevant make?
  • Mally_G
    edited May 2011
    tnabillboard1.jpg

here's what the billboard looks like

In a smart business move, TNA's move is extremely smart. THINK about it, really...

I thought about it, and I don't know what you mean...
  • mikelewis
    edited May 2011
    Mally_G wrote: »
    tnabillboard1.jpg

here's what the billboard looks like

Not trying to disrespect TNA, but why is Hogan the centerpiece of that billboard? At least Angle is there, but Hogan definitely should not be.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Wrestling Matters huh? there was 5 matches on a 2 hour show.
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited May 2011
    darkstarr8 wrote: »
    So what? If everyone talks about how stupid they are, what difference does being relevant make?

So six people on this board = everyone? Word?
    That's still four people that follow TNA just to hate on it. Ty for the support.
    For every six people that talk about how stupid TNA ten people will say how horrible RAW is... so whats your point?
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited May 2011
    ^^^ Come on now. I'm not talking about just this board. And corporations aint like celebrities where any publicity is good. TNA won't grow because of the silly things they do, it doesn't matter if people talk about them or not.
  • DOPEdweebz
    edited May 2011
    darkstarr8 wrote: »
    ^^^ Come on now. I'm not talking about just this board. And corporations aint like celebrities where any publicity is good. TNA won't grow because of the silly things they do, it doesn't matter if people talk about them or not.

Ok bro.....
  • VIBE
    edited May 2011
    mikelewis wrote: »
    Not trying to disrespect TNA, but why is Hogan the centerpiece of that billboard? At least Angle is there, but Hogan definitely should not be.

To slap the WWE and Vince in the face, Hogan was the face of the WWF and now with another brand TNA and trying to get them up and started.

To put TNA billboards saying "wrestling matters", in the state that is HQ for the WWE is a huge slap in the WWE's face. Then they're topping it off by putting Hogan as the front man.

It's business.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    To slap the WWE and Vince in the face, Hogan was the face of the WWF and now with another brand TNA and trying to get them up and started.

People still associate Hogan with the "WWF."

So if anybody sees Hogan's face, they'll think "Oh yeah, the WWF. Maybe I'll try watching that again, for old times sake."

Has Hogan ever boosted TNA's ratings or PPV buyrates? No. But neither has anything else, because everything they touch turns to ? .

I don't watch their shows. I see clips on youtube whenever something extra ? happens and I read about how much they suck on forums.