So Im about to read ? is Not Great...

Options
earth two superman
earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
will it turn me atheist? the IC still hasnt, and it cant be anything new in the book I havent read here.

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You can't be "turned" atheist, such realization can only come from within.

Or some ? like that.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    You can't be "turned" atheist, such realization can only come from within.

Or some ? like that.
    Wise words.

ictG0c.png
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    will it turn me atheist? the IC still hasnt, and it cant be anything new in the book I havent read here.

No, you'll just remain delusional as you continue to read opposing ideas pretending to seek knowledge as if you're willing to scrutinize your personal fallacies.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Just another book that show how people try to question something they dont understand
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't think it is our call to say what will this book do...or doesn't do to you. Reading the Bible may lead someone to atheism. Who knows?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Read what you will, learn what you will, add to the spring of understanding and go with the flow. Fight against the current and you will float backwards.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That book's not about atheism. It's about how immoral Christianity is. (and Islam and Judaism)
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    That book's not about atheism. It's about how immoral Christianity is. (and Islam and Judaism)

If the only reason for why people choose Christianity is for moral guidance, then there are things that make it immoral. However, as much as people may stress a moral integrity associated with Christianity, it is not what it is about.
  • bunz
    bunz Members Posts: 1,000
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the only thing that SHOULD sway you is reading the texts of the bible in an unbiased manner, taking what youve gathered, comparing it to the modern world we live in, and using basic logic and problem solving skills to come to your conclusion... and the number one question, if you did not believe in a religion, would your life and the way you analyze things undergo THAT much of a drastic change????
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why you telling us what we should and shouldn't read, Bunz? Why are you so horrified by the idea that a person could be persuaded to change their mind about something?
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why you telling us what we should and shouldn't read, Bunz? Why are you so horrified by the idea that a person could be persuaded to change their mind about something?

persuasion should not happen through a bias..... while its not a bad thing to read the book, it still has a bias.... it should not be the lone reason someone changes their mind about religion
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    it goes against logic to read a book with a bias and let it change your mind about anything.... it is simply another source one can use when coming to a conclusion.... i did not read a book with this opinion to come to my conclusions about my former catholic faith.... i read the BIBLE and put its ideals to use in everyday life and what knowledge i have of mammal instincts and behavior in nature
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The Bible has no bias toward a monotheistic worldview?

C'mon, son.

Bias is virtually unavoidable. You know when you're reading a persuasive argument that there's authorial bias, so you keep that in mind. Unless you're ? , you'll be able to make your mind up for yourself.
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The Bible has no bias toward a monotheistic worldview?

C'mon, son.

Bias is virtually unavoidable. You know when you're reading a persuasive argument that there's authorial bias, so you keep that in mind. Unless you're ? , you'll be able to make your mind up for yourself.

u obviously are not comprehending me ? ... you can listen to arguments, but they should not make you come to a conclusion, science is not based off bias, it is based off FACT.... logic is being able to use problem solving skills to realize when something is right or wrong..... you can read a bias source to see if you agree with certain ideas, but if you are taught to believe in the bibles words, what better source to read than the bible to see if you agree with what is said???? of course the bible has a bias, but it is the SOURCE UNDER QUESTION.... IT IS WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO PROVE OR DISPROVE...... you HAVE to read that source to disprove it.... YOU DONT HAVE TO READ A SECONDARY SOURCE WITH A BIAS AGAINST IT TO COME TO THAT CONCLUSION.....

someone tell me they get what im saying because this ? obviously doesnt..... i cant believe id disagree the most with an atheist in this thread... are you ? stupid???/
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You're basically just telling people not to read anything that presents an argument against Christianity. Obviously, if you want to study the subject, you should read the Bible as well. But to put every book about the Bible off limits is ridiculous.
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You're basically just telling people not to read anything that presents an argument against Christianity. Obviously, if you want to study the subject, you should read the Bible as well. But to put every book about the Bible off limits is ridiculous.

where did i say DONT READ THIS BOOK.... i said in this case, the book should not be the only thing that helps you come to your conclusion.... look at my posts man...
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    and i stand by my statement that you should not come to a conclusion w/o reading the bible in an unbiased fashion..... you cant use logic to disprove something w/o reading it first....
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You seem really upset that people would write or read books denouncing religion. Why are you caping?
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    You seem really upset that people would write or read books denouncing religion. Why are you caping?

be real man... it upsets me when people use a book ABOUT a religion to come to conclusions instead of reading the texts of the actual religion.... i have made it pretty clear i don't belong to a religion.... u, on the other hand, are a troll who obviously can't come up with an opinion on your own, and are not a free thinker... there are leaders and followers in this world.... you are obviously a follower.... you lack the general knowledge to debate someone in a subject so you say dumb things like im caping for religion when i clearly have stated i dont belong to one.... on top of that, you pick one sentence out of a paragraph and speak solely on that... another tactic to draw attention away from the real fact... that you are not a very smart individual.... dont fret though lil buddy, knowledge is attained, not ? -given..... you like what i did there?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Obviously, threadstarter has read the Bible, come to a conclusion about it, and is willing to consider arguments against that conclusion.

But you're saying he shouldn't do that. You're saying he should just read the Bible over and over, never permitting any other book's arguments about it, for or against.

Why u capin?
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Obviously, threadstarter has read the Bible, come to a conclusion about it, and is willing to consider arguments against that conclusion.

But you're saying he shouldn't do that. You're saying he should just read the Bible over and over, never permitting any other book's arguments about it, for or against.

Why u capin?

i said one book stating its OPINION should not change someones mind... stop misquoting me ? .... simpleton.... go get easily swayed to play in traffic..... its good for you
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why not be swayed by a compelling opinion?

What exactly is wrong with that? If you agree with a persuasive argument, you're persuaded. Doesn't mean you're manipulated or failing to think freely.
  • bunz
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Why not be swayed by a compelling opinion?

What exactly is wrong with that? If you agree with a persuasive argument, you're persuaded. Doesn't mean you're manipulated or failing to think freely.

there is nothing wrong with a persuasive argument... but how do you know that argument to even be valid unless you are familiar with the topic at hand??????
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Threadstarter is familiar with the topic at hand. Chill with the alarmism.