The College Conspiracy

Options
bornnraisedoffCMR
bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
College education is the largest scam in U.S. history!

Dont trust these guys investment advice, but their vids are on point.

Comments

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    let america ? up america who cares
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I dont have time to watch this but reall college is what you make it...if you take 6 yrs to get a degree in communications or psychology you get what you deserve...If you major and do well in something that has a demand the world is yours
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If you are willing to pay a university some money, they will make your ? philosophy required reading.

For example, some libertarian idiots wanted Ayn Rand pushed on the students, and since they had the money up front, they got it: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/05/06/college-donors-want-to-make-ayn-rands-atlas-shrugged-required-reading/
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I will keep this short and simple......its not what you know or what degree you obtained its who you know, what networking you do you can do and how motivated/determined you are. You can't teach motivation and determination!
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Mannnn......

Just saw it and it's depressing, didn't know America's college fee's were that high....WTF man? they basically enslave you when your mind is still callow, offering a studentloan.....to pay 20.000 + us dollars for college per year(an amount that middleclass parents can't pay and therfor most students never can pay for).... the system is not only flawed it is kinda wicked of nature,..What I miss from the vid is the why part.....how did the fees reach this absurd amount of money? entertainment purposesc(sports et)? Andh how the hell did the US population lethemselves get ? like this? No where in the developed world will you find this absurd system, where college is so expensive no one can attend without getting a 100.000 dollar loan....Respect for you cats in the states, hope you can break free of the system and get the ? out of the country, or hope for the best....America is ? (up). if you are in debt, dont let the money rule your life, be happy etc do ur thing.

lol at pharmacy college though btw
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I will keep this short and simple......its not what you know or what degree you obtained its who you know, what networking you do you can do and how motivated/determined you are. You can't teach motivation and determination!

I disagree...I never networked of course I made friends but most of them aren't even in my field, I'm one of the laziest people I know but I have a degree not everyone has and is practical plus I have designations that go well with it and I have a decent gig
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Damn can someone break down that video in a few sentences?
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LOL @ that video suggesting that private banks take over student loans. So essentially only kids with parents with good credit get loans. Not only is that a problem, the video mention private colleges or how they have to have the requirement of 90/10 rule so have to raise their tution. Well I have a solution ban for-profit colleges from receiving any federal student loans! They wont even exist! Now, how about them ? about college coaches being paid.. Lets see, college coach A brings in extra 20 mill to the school from bandwagon fans on AHH that buy their merchandise cause they won a title, that seems to compensate for their high salary.

Last but not least they say that an average person RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL makes 36k a year!! What!! In what country is this?? Flat-out wrong numbers.

With that said, yes colleges get any dollar they can from you and you may not benefit. But with most jobs requiring a bachlors now-a-days you kinda have to deal with it.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    If your willing to participate in this ? educational system you might as well walk into admissions with ? in hand. Theres no doubt that going to college to get that piece of paper is pure crookedness, spending all that money & time to become a doctor and all you really can do is prescribe medicines that make ppl sicker, never fixing a damn thing.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    I disagree...I never networked of course I made friends but most of them aren't even in my field, I'm one of the laziest people I know but I have a degree not everyone has and is practical plus I have designations that go well with it and I have a decent gig

For every person like yourself there are four-five other people with Masters degrees and degrees in respected majors that are struggling to find work in their fields. Your success at landing a decent gig lies on the fact that you majored in a degree that is not popular like psychology, sociology and political science. People majoring in ? majors has to also lead to unemployment never understood the concept of taking out a loan and wasting it on a major that will land you 30k a year which will take years to pay off your loans.

How exactly can you teach a student with 4.0 GPA about networking, interviewing as well as the simple strategies of finding a good job? I went to school with engineers, accountants and biochemists many of them lacked networking skills cause they were too prideful and had egos. See had they gotten sociology, anthropology and liberal arts degrees than I can understand but these people had respected majors still couldn't find jobs at that point it isn't about luck its about networking, motivation and determination.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    LOL @ that video suggesting that private banks take over student loans. So essentially only kids with parents with good credit get loans. Not only is that a problem, the video mention private colleges or how they have to have the requirement of 90/10 rule so have to raise their tution. Well I have a solution ban for-profit colleges from receiving any federal student loans! They wont even exist! Now, how about them ? about college coaches being paid.. Lets see, college coach A brings in extra 20 mill to the school from bandwagon fans on AHH that buy their merchandise cause they won a title, that seems to compensate for their high salary.

Last but not least they say that an average person RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL makes 36k a year!! What!! In what country is this?? Flat-out wrong numbers.

With that said, yes colleges get any dollar they can from you and you may not benefit. But with most jobs requiring a bachlors now-a-days you kinda have to deal with it.

How about the tuition fees? Is it true that a student in the US(in the vid they say there are 4000 colleges in the states) pay 20.000 + us Dollars per year? That for 4 years of college you will pay 80.000 +-, just to be able to attend a college? Obviously most parents aren't able to pay for that, let alone the students themselves and are therfor forced to get a loan....

I pay 1500 euro's per year here in Holland, the government gives me 300 euros per month to be able to pay for college, which I donot have to pay back if I finish said college. All over Europe and most of the world colleges are affordable, in Sweden ? is free lol, I dont understand why college in the states is so extremely expensive??
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

You obviously didnt watch that video.

But anyway, what's been up with u getchamoneyrigh?
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I always wondered why I would buy a brand new book for a semester and when I go to return the book at the end of that very semester it was already outdated.
  • Absolute56
    Absolute56 Members Posts: 36
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Everything is rigged to a certain point so to be successful you have to learn how to work the system.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    How about the tuition fees? Is it true that a student in the US(in the vid they say there are 4000 colleges in the states) pay 20.000 + us Dollars per year? That for 4 years of college you will pay 80.000 +-, just to be able to attend a college? Obviously most parents aren't able to pay for that, let alone the students themselves and are therfor forced to get a loan....

I pay 1500 euro's per year here in Holland, the government gives me 300 euros per month to be able to pay for college, which I donot have to pay back if I finish said college. All over Europe and most of the world colleges are affordable, in Sweden ? is free lol, I dont understand why college in the states is so extremely expensive??

Yeah its true unfortunatly. The system is still setup from the 50's if you can go to college and get a degree your pretty much going to be going to get a good job, so the gov't pays you to go and you pay them back with your good paying job. It is not like that anymore and the system is soon to collapse as graduates can not get jobs and have huge debts.
    You obviously didnt watch that video.

But anyway, what's been up with u getchamoneyrigh?

I admit I skimmed through it. What did I miss?

Not much man, just trying to finally finish my grad. degree and get on with life. How have you been?
  • verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    For every person like yourself there are four-five other people with Masters degrees and degrees in respected majors that are struggling to find work in their fields. Your success at landing a decent gig lies on the fact that you majored in a degree that is not popular like psychology, sociology and political science. People majoring in ? majors has to also lead to unemployment never understood the concept of taking out a loan and wasting it on a major that will land you 30k a year which will take years to pay off your loans.

How exactly can you teach a student with 4.0 GPA about networking, interviewing as well as the simple strategies of finding a good job? I went to school with engineers, accountants and biochemists many of them lacked networking skills cause they were too prideful and had egos. See had they gotten sociology, anthropology and liberal arts degrees than I can understand but these people had respected majors still couldn't find jobs at that point it isn't about luck its about networking, motivation and determination.

I agree totally but that's where the importance of guidance and mentorship plays a major role when you are attending a major College or University. Fortunately having Jamaican Parents "BS" majors was not allowed. While choosing a major it had to have a strong kinship with Math and Science and the degree had to lead to an outcome, i.e, Engineering Major=Engineer, Physical Therapy= Physical Therapist, etc. Yes you are correct networking is extremely important, what many Comm majors, Psych majors do not realize that there are hundreds of Colleges and Universities that have 200-300 students in that program, that's an huge number of graduates and your degree is minimized. My program had 40 students in it. It makes a difference.

I always tell young adults that there is nothing wrong with student loans as long as you realize you need to have a plan. People take out loans on 40k cars and trucks why not take an investment out on yourself...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    tl;dw

But with the ease at which scholarships can be attained and the widely available information on the usefulness/outcomes of various college majors, people only have themselves to blame for being "scammed" by college.
  • Afurika!
    Afurika! Members Posts: 59
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this thing working?