Options
just.might.b.ok
just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Essence
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRe24JWUzRK7vfGXc_ZQ_3zGnJmsiSyYawFNCWCyTq2j1lmTENhw&t=1
copywrites-got-beatdowns.jpg
iCon The Mic King beats up Copywrite.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8X6boIK-1IQzCcbqaQveKz_lGoSHaiQAWyofVLycLxG3yaDl6DQ&t=1
Camu Tao of El-P's Def Jux label beats up Copywrite (who btw, was wearing brass knuckles)

people talk about Joe Budden and Young Berg gettin beat up, but Copywrite has been beated up way more than any of them dudes.
only person Copywrite ever beat up was Cage, and after he became an emo ? :
http://thecryptonline.com/v3/index.php/copywrite-vs-cage-fight-video.html

here's a hilarious interview from iCon about how he beat up Copy (props to MC_Akademix from rapmusic board):

well to make a short story long--here's a blurb from an interview with iCON from gorillamovement.com...this happened in scribble 05 by the way

You have been rather quiet on a topic regarding a little scrap at Scribble Jam with Copywrite and people have been dying to hear your side of the story, so the soap box is now yours to milk this promotional cow. What happened at Scribble Jam between you and Copywrite that ended with Pete Nelson having to pick himself off the ground, is there any history between the beef between you and the MHZ member, some say it is over money and beats, and will the war continue on wax or will you leave it at the one punch knockout that you served him at Scribble???

Aight I’m gonna say this all one time so heads can stop asking me. This Pete thing isn’t some spur of the moment publicity stunt that I came up with to get “internet street credibility,” it has history behind it.

In 2001 I was writing this song called “All Hail” that was going to be produced by JJ Brown (producer for Louis Logic, Awar) and I had some punchline that was a play on the phrase “holier than thou,” which coincidentally is a Copywrite song. All my constituents that I spit the verses for were like “yeah that’s dope, but are you dissing Copywrite?” This was shortly after my altercation with the other bol and I never wanted to be known as an emcee that kept creating conflict with established rappers, so I hit Pete up on AIM. It was peace, we were chopping it up and he was like “yeah I don’t think you’re dissing me” whatever whatever. He was mad cool about it and I had just gotten some money from some battles I had won so I asked him to do the hook for the song. He agreed and requested that I send him the money up front and he’d do it before he left for tour. I thought this was how things worked in indie rap so I just sent him the loot. Obviously he never did it.

Time passed, my name started to garner its buzz and I started networking and getting on more shows and all that. Then I think this was the summer of 2003 when Alaska and them were throwing those “Best Damn Rap Shows” at North Six in Brooklyn right after Pete’s album came out I emailed him like “what’s up with my money, I’m coming to the show.” For the first time in like over a year he replied to my email like “yo dog, I got you just gimme a few weeks.” That night he came late to the show and he left right after he got offstage. Then there were a couple shows where we were both on the bill and he’d cancel. So there was a whole lot of this going on and a whole lot of our mutual friends trying to smooth it over and make it go away. I gave too much of a ? around then and I didn’t want to create anymore problems for myself so I just charged it to the game.

Then I finally saw dude again at a show in Columbus at Bernie’s and I stopped caring. I was with Dos Noun, this kid Tymez and some other heads from Pittsburgh. Dos and Tymez were like wait til after we perform to approach him. So I did. When it was my turn to rock I just started freestyling and was like “? Copywrite.” By then I guess he had left. I didn’t know because I had seen him walk in and out a bunch of times that night. So his boys approached Tymez like “yo we got pistols” and all this. This one white bol was like “how you gonna diss my man when he ain’t here?” I was just like “call him and tell him to come back then.” We stayed for about a half an hour. Nothing happened. We left.

This all brings us to Scribble Jam. I had seen dude walking around with his stuff early in the day but I knew if I started a fight I’d get kicked out and I was supposed to be hosting the prelim battle (which is a good way to get people to put the name with the face). So I waited and while I was hosting this kid (Moodswangz I think his name is) said “you’re getting your ass beat like Copywrite in that lobby fight.” After he was done I was like “YOOO!! DID YOU HEAR THAT LINE?!” and I repeated it and I was like “Anybody who says a line about Copywrite got my vote. ? that dude.”

Afterwards Pete walks up on me like “Yo, you wanna take this outside?” Mannnnn let me tell you I felt like it was my damn birthday!!!! I replied “I sure do! I’m gonna go put my stuff down, I advise you to do the same and I will be right back.” So I went and put my box of merch down by the Ground Opening booth and I said to my man Rob Viktum “yo this dude Copywrite really think he want it with me!” and I ran back over to Pete and the two of us started walking outside. I kept looking back because I ain’t know how many heads he had with him… after all we were in his home state. He saw me doing this and he was like “who you waiting for dog?” That’s when I realized he knew he was in over his head.

Funny sidebar though…some random dude had been following us out the door and Copy was like “who is this -- your backup?!” and I was like “Man I don’t know this muhfucka.” Then I asked the cat “yo do I know you?” and he was like “yeah we met at such and such a show.” How come I can’t find a fan when I wanna sell a cd? Haha.

Comments

• just.might.b.ok
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Anyway first off shout out to Priest from Ground Opening for taking them pictures I owe you one dog. Secondly, I gotta tell y’all the pictures are out of order but them photochops are hilarious. We got outside and he starts to lead me by the cop car they have in front of Annie’s. (picture where he’s pointing, I’m listening and there’s a cop car to the left). We’re shouting so a crowd has formed and I’m on some “WHAT!” ? . (picture where my arms are out and he’s got the “uh oh” face) I was like “I aint fighting you next to no cop car” and I walked over to a handicap spot and pointed at it and was like “here this is where you belong.” Then he comes over and he tries to convince me to take it further in the parking lot I guess so nobody would see and I was just like “nah, we doing this here” and he starts swinging. The best way I can describe it…he swings like a ? T-Rex. The crowd that had formed started laughing as I was backpedaling my way out of the arc of the swing and I started taking pictures with my sidekick. (picture where I’m holding the phone). I put my phone away and was just like ? this I’ma rock this fool. (picture where I’m walking toward him and there’s just cars in the background) and he started backing up with the “? I’m bout to get hit – hard” face. Next picture is the one where he’s by the door with the “? , here it comes” face. The next picture is the swing. The final picture is where he is successfully ROCKED in his grill with his hat flying off and some bol in the background with the “OH ? !” face. After he hit the ground and slid into the fence I stood over him and shouted “EARLY!”

Everyone in the crowd surrounded me like I just won the lottery and it clicked in my mind that I did. Any publicity is good publicity right? My man MacLethal was like “yo Mike, get back in the venue!!” because the bike cops showed up. So I went back in to enjoy the fanfare. Heads told me that afterwards Pete was like “On some human being ? …yo on some real human being ? …that was just ? up.” Now his story is that he was ? . Someone brought it to my attention that this is the same rapper that once said “I’m at the point where rappers get high before they challenge mine/so when they ? up they’ll have an alibi.” Well Pete, you got rocked, walk it off.

After that he tried to get live with Mr. Dibbs when dude was just trying to see if he was alright. All I have to say to that is BAD EXECUTIVE DECISION!

As far as diss songs, that ? is tired. He can go head and diss me, I’ll hit up Celph Titled and have it pressed up and we can sit on the beach in Tampa and laugh while the money comes in. It’s whatever though we can take it there, I know my enemies very well I can pull dirt on him for days, I’d eat his food. Some heads are walking around thinking dude is a better rapper than me and I don’t wanna take it to lyrics with him. They must have never heard me rap. All dude does is punchline ? …even that “June” jawn is constructed like a punchline song (emcees know what I’m talking about)…I do punchline ? rarely and I’m still better at it. So whatever he wanna do we can do that but you won’t see me dropping no diss track first, I already won.

As far as me leaving it at that, that ? needs to pay me. We were actually supposed to tour together before this and I told the agent look I wouldn’t have a problem with dude if he just paid me what he owed me. But now I want that ? plus compounded interest at the prime rate in 2001. I know heads that wanna roll on him in every state, if anything I was just an instrument of karma in this situation and I’ve opened the floodgates. A lot of people he’s ? over have hit me up. This one dude from Seattle I think it was hit me up on myspace like “thanks for knocking him out. Him and his boys crashed a party at my house one time and charged up my credit cards and stole ? .” A bunch of rappers have showed me love on it. Dude told the booking agent that he wants me to call him so maybe this will get straightened out. Until I get my money I’d avoid me and mine if I was him.

From a Copywrite fan’s perspective, can they ever take the tough guy persona of Mr. Pete Nelson and the claims he makes on record seriously again without thinking Icon The Mic King, and do you have any career advice for the man whose image you completely shattered at Scribble Jam???

I personally don’t take any of these dude’s tough guy personas seriously and it just goes to show how more and more indie rap is becoming like major label ? where heads are so caught up in what the image is. People get into fights everyday, yahmean. This wasn’t my or his fight or last fight but these fans on message boards have never been in a fight so they are living vicariously through us. Like every other indie rapper altercation (sans the Vordul-Will High thing) it aint that big a deal. He got hit, he can’t fight, he fell down. Big woop he lost a fair one. It happens.

With all that said, no I don’t think he can be taken seriously. If we are counting by indie rap images or fight scorecards I was the worst person for him to be punched in the face by. So it’s not so believable if he was to say something about being an untouchable superhuman who will ? anyone up. That site them Boston kids made has a good example of the type of line he can no longer say.

I would suggest he either just do that Powerbar Ernie ? full time or adopt a hodge-podge of all the gimmicks. Wear a mask, a mouse suit, boyscout hat, act crazy and revolutionary and rap super fast about how he’s been beaten up a lot and doesn’t write his rhymes down. He’ll do some crazy numbers amongst the 13-17 year old demographic. Or he can just put out an emo song called “I never said I could fight” and start all over again denouncing his past work. Or better yet he could actually truly get signed by the Roc and this will all be overwritten with revisionist history.
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lmfao @ ? T Rex.
    remember back when Underground Hip Hop was really entretaining, and ? a twitter beef, this is some really funny ? .
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lmfao @ ? T Rex.
    remember back when Underground Hip Hop was really entretaining, and ? a twitter beef, this is some really funny ? .

That had me rolling as well haha can't believe I missed this thread, that was a good read, I've heard people refer to this, but never actually read up on it :tu

Props!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    rip camu tao..didnt know copy got his ass beat so many times lol
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    rip camu tao..didnt know copy got his ass beat so many times lol

lol. How did Camu Tao die?
  • satyrone
    edited May 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    lol. How did Camu Tao die?

This was maybee acouple of yeArs ago. I think he had lupus or something I don't remember I'll have to look it up but he wAs like in his early 30s I think.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    R.I.P. Camu Tao

I forgot how he died!!
    definitely searchable!

Yea I even heard on record Celph Titled sneakin Copywrite as well!
  • satyrone
    edited May 2011
    Options
    camu tao had lung cancer
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yep Camu Tao had lung cancer, Def Jux was gonna release his album, but i think they shut down the label or something.
    Cage dissed one of the ? Vast Aire (from Cannibal Ox) over Camu's dead, according to cage, vast aire was dissin camu while he was alive, and then started wearing r.i.p. camu tao shirts or some ? like that after he died.
    the song Nothing Left To Say from cage's ? album is about vast aire.
  • traestar
    edited May 2011
    Options
    yep Camu Tao had lung cancer, Def Jux was gonna release his album, but i think they shut down the label or something.
    Cage dissed one of the ? Vast Aire (from Cannibal Ox) over Camu's dead, according to cage, vast aire was dissin camu while he was alive, and then started wearing r.i.p. camu tao shirts or some ? like that after he died.
    the song Nothing Left To Say from cage's ? album is about vast aire.

......hmmm.....very strange

Along time ago on Myspace I remember Vast Aire dissing Cage on his status update
    That always puzzled me
  • satyrone
    edited May 2011
    Options
    damn i gotta hear that treack didnt know vast got at camu. i wonder what their beef was about
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited May 2011
    Options
    this is what Cage said about Vast Aire:

Monday, May 25, 2009

Remembering Camu Tao
    May 25th 2008 I got a call informing me Tero had passed away.I had just spoken to him days before this call.We were working via phone on a song he produced for me(Follow the Bleeder)I could hear he was in the hospital and I asked him if he was alright and he said he wasn't feeling well and just had to get some things checked out."Don't worry"he said"I will be okay, I will talk to you later when I get out of here."That was the last thing Camu ever said to me.Life hasn't been the same.He was my closest friend.I spoke to him more than I spoke to anyone in life.I am still bitter and everything has lost it's flavor no matter how surreal everything is right now.And I know he would be jumping up and down saying 'YEAH WE DID IT" (something he would always say whether or not it had anything to do with him)He had the ability to celebrate the smallest accomplishments and get me in hysterics about anything.He helped me in music and more importantly he helped me in life.He was a beautiful person with an effortless talent and I know people throw the word genius around loosely to compliment each other or in some cases themselves but TERO SMITH WAS A MUSICAL GENIUS.I miss him very much and I will never be the same again.I think of him everyday.
    Rest In Peace brother.

Listen to Camu Tao songs all day today and remember.

I listen to Camu Tao songs everyday and so should you.

It bothered me very much to see a lot of his enemies claiming this Love they had for him the day after he passed but none when he was dying for a year and a half.Some of you made it right with him before he died.I can understand except one person and in honor of Tero a true ? starter and fire ignitor I would like to out VAST AIRE you are a LIAR and Camu hated you and you know it.You ? on him when you knew he was dying.You disrespected his fiancee weeks after his passing with disrespectful emails."Camu is in heaven looking down at you laughing at you" said Vast Aire to Camu's fiance when she asked him to not go on a "hold the floor tour" and profit off of his death."Camu owed me money from years ago" said Vast Aire(which is a lie)If those emails ever see the light of day you would ? upon reading. The last you spoke to him was about 05 I believe.What goes around comes around.It was Camu who ousted you from WM when you were stealing from Yak and Tame on The Teen Wolf Tour and it was Camu who named you "SLOB BLOB SWEAT PANTS" If you use this day as a day to remember you should remember how you wronged a dying man with Cancer before AND after his death.

You use my beloved friends passing as a ? tag line in your interviews and it is Vast Aire who I am talking about in Nothing left to say.

That was for you Mu

and the ? song he made:
    cage is a ? now tho. his first album was ok
  • traestar
    edited May 2011
    Options
    WOW.....really now

It sounds like more of a beef than anything, I'm not taking anyone's side
    on that one. But thats crazy bruh, Yak Ballz never mentioned anything about
    that tho!
  • just.might.b.ok
    edited May 2011
    Options
    there's also this awesome vid where Copy beats up cage like a little girl. ? hilarious