Options
edeeesq
edeeesq Members Posts: 511
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/may/crimes_052311/crime_052311

Crimes Rates Fall Again
According to Preliminary Stats

05/23/11

Preliminary FBI figures reveal that the levels of both violent crime and property crime in the U.S. declined in 2010 from the previous year's data.
The 2010 Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report, just released today, shows a 5.5 percent decrease in the number of reported violent crimes when compared with data from 2009. It also shows a 2.8 percent decline in reported property crimes.

This latest report is based on information submitted to the FBI from 13,007 law enforcement agencies around the country. The crimes covered are murder, forcible ? , robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson.

Some of the report's highlights include:

Nationally, murder declined 4.4 percent, while forcible ? dropped 4.2 percent, robbery 9.5 percent, and aggravated assault 3.6 percent—all when compared with 2009 crime figures.
Geographically speaking, the South saw the largest decline in violent crime (7.5 percent), followed by the Midwest (5.9 percent), the West (5.8 percent) and the Northeast (0.4 percent).
Concerning property crime, motor vehicle theft was down 7.2 percent, larceny-theft was down 2.8 percent, and burglary was down 1.1 percent. Arson, tracked separately from other property crimes, fell 8.3 percent nationally.

All regions of the country experienced overall declines in property crime during 2010 from 2009 rates: down 3.8 percent in the South, 2.7 percent in the Midwest, 2.5 percent in the West, and 0.5 percent in the Northeast.
All city population groups saw decreases in violent crime.
Cities with populations of less than 10,000 saw a significant drop in murder—a 25.2 percent decrease.
There were some specific increases noted:

The Northeast saw increases in some violent crime categories from 2009 figures—murder was up 8.3 percent, forcible ? up 1.4 percent, and aggravated assault up 0.7 percent.
Cities with populations of 250,000 to 499,999 saw a 3.0 percent rise in murder, while cities with populations of 500,000 to 999,999 saw a 1.9 percent increase in forcible ? , and cities between 25,000 and 49,999 saw an increase of 1.3 percent in burglary.
The Northeast also saw an increase in burglary—up 3.5 percent.
Non-metropolitan counties reported slight increases in burglary (1.2 percent) and larceny-theft (3.2 percent).
Also available in the preliminary report are tables that include the number of offenses reported by cities—organized by state—with populations of more than 100,000. These tables include preliminary totals of offenses known to law enforcement for agencies that provided us with 12 months of complete data in both 2009 and 2010.

As always, we caution against drawing conclusions from the data in this report by making direct comparisons between cities. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction.

Complete figures for 2010 will be released this fall in the full Crime in the United States report.

Comments

• @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Crime pays, but you gotta spend money to make money, and thugs ain't got no money right now.
  • edeeesq
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So on the nightly news all we get is violence, death, robbery and tragedy....but in reality, things are better than they have been in nearly 20 years.

Why the fear pump or is the government lying to us about this too?

Speak on it!
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    So on the nightly news all we get is violence, death, robbery and tragedy....but in reality, things are better than they have been in nearly 20 years.

Why the fear pump or is the government lying to us about this too?

Speak on it!

The Recession>>The ? Epidemic...
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I feel its just the calm before the storm.........
  • edeeesq
    edited May 2011
    Options
    The Recession>>The ? Epidemic...

Actually I read in another article that it has been 40 years....I was being kind...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    it's been going down for years, but you have to hype it up because... well... it's hard to spent all that money on militarized police if crime's not on the rise, right?
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    how you gonna rob someone who's poorer than you?
  • edeeesq
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Remember, they are talking about violent crime here....forcible rapes, murders, etc...robbery is a component, but not the stuff that keeps white America up at night stressing out
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    There is no more white america...
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    but aren't dope and prostitution on the rise?
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    im_lux wrote: »
    but aren't dope and prostitution on the rise?

those shouldnt even be classified as crimes.. nor its patrons criminal..
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    those shouldnt even be classified as crimes.. nor its patrons criminal..

Well I'm not gonna argue the morality of it. I mean lets be honest here beating a ? ass for talkin ? and taking his money by force for your troubles is considerd aggravated robbery in some states but I don't see that as being a crime though it is...doesn't change the point.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    im_lux wrote: »
    Well I'm not gonna argue the morality of it. I mean lets be honest here beating a ? ass for talkin ? and taking his money by force for your troubles is considerd aggravated robbery in some states but I don't see that as being a crime though it is...doesn't change the point.

cosign

and yeah its been going down for years....but I think its half truths to say that "crime should be rising in direct proportion to the economic recession."

Some still don't realize that there is a percentage of the population that was NOT affected by the recession at all
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    is it beyond reason that local law enforcement, under direct pressure from our federal government, would fudge the numbers on violent crimes?

or isn't it possibly that the FBI is making bodies disappear? or that the local PD's just dont care and have the attitude that an accurate number isn't whats important.
    FLINT, Michigan — A discrepancy between the city's homicide total and the FBI total will be corrected, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said.

The city reported that there were 65 homicides last year, but the FBI has 53.

Walling said he wasn't sure why there was a difference.

"We expect that to be corrected," he said.

He said numbers aren't what is important.

"This is a community that has struggled with violent crime for a very long time," he said.

As a whole, the numbers don't reflect the community, he said.

"It's a terrible distinction, but for those of us who live here, we know this community is more than (just about) violent crime," he said.

The Flint Journal's number is 66 because of a homicide where the crime started in Genesee Township, but the man died in Flint.

I think its safe to believe that the discrepancy between the town's numbers and the FBI's murder count in Flint is not an isolated incident.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    but violent crime has been on a decline for years, so the reason for that may be much bigger and longer lasting than a short-term decline in economy. The factors that caused the dip in crime in previous years could outweigh whatever crimes the recession brought.

but aren't more and more people going to jail? more people are locked up than ever before, i think. maybe more of the criminal element is off the streets, or more people are actually aware of the consequences of commiting a violent crime.

i dont know. those are just possibilities.
  • OFWGKTA
    OFWGKTA Banned Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    gun crime is going up in my city year by year. its at an all time high this year.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    how you gonna rob someone who's poorer than you?

You're being facetious, right?
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    because niccaz is getting softer. this is good because crime is going down but niccaz is weaker and softer than ever.
  • edeeesq
    edited May 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    is it beyond reason that local law enforcement, under direct pressure from our federal government, would fudge the numbers on violent crimes?

or isn't it possibly that the FBI is making bodies disappear? or that the local PD's just dont care and have the attitude that an accurate number isn't whats important.

I think its safe to believe that the discrepancy between the town's numbers and the FBI's murder count in Flint is not an isolated incident.

I'm not sure what the benefit would be in any enforcement agency to lie in this situation. Its not like the public's perception is that we're safer. Quite to the contrary.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    because niccaz is getting softer. this is good because crime is going down but niccaz is weaker and softer than ever.
    I whole-heartedly agree with this statement. It all starts with building your mind muscle something thats frowned upon in this age.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    OFWGKTA wrote: »
    gun crime is going up in my city year by year. its at an all time high this year.
    let's hear the city so we can confirm or deny this