Obama, the slave to Israel: Obama pushes Europeans to vote against Palestian state

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in The Social Lounge
Obama pushes Europe not to support Palestinians' U.N. statehood bid:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-obama-mideast-20110526,0,937148.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fnews%2Fnationworld%2Fworld+%28L.A.+Times+-+World+News%29

Reporting from London and Washington—
A week after ratcheting up pressure on Israel's government to restart peace talks with Palestinians, President Obama launched a campaign to persuade European leaders not to endorse a separate Palestinian bid for statehood. But his appeal to Britain's prime minister, David Cameron, won only a noncommittal response.

After a meeting Wednesday with Obama, Cameron said the time was not yet right for European leaders to decide on the Palestinian bid for United Nations recognition, which the Palestinian Authority leadership is expected to make at the U.N. General Assembly in September.

Cameron said world leaders should press Palestinians and Israelis to return to the negotiating table that they abandoned last September.

"We want to discuss this within the European Union and try and maximize the leverage and pressure [that] the European Union can bring on both sides to get this vital process moving," Cameron said at a news conference with Obama in London.

Senior Obama administration officials portrayed Cameron's statements as supportive of U.S. efforts to get the two sides back to the negotiating table, but the officials acknowledged that no timetable for future talks has emerged.

"We think it's a positive development that the president's vision was fully embraced by the U.K., and that they are underscoring the urgency of pursuing that option and using their influence to get the parties back to the table," one senior administration official said.

The administration is deeply concerned that European leaders may decide to support the unilateral Palestinian bid for recognition, a step that would isolate Israel and embarrass its most powerful ally, the United States.

In a speech May 19 in Washington, Obama offered the outline of a new plan for peace negotiations. Aides said he sought, in part, to convince other nations that the U.S.-led Mideast peace process was still alive and that they should not grant recognition at the U.N. as a way of helping the Palestinians address their grievances.

U.S. officials said Obama was making the issue a top priority throughout his four-country, six-day European tour, which includes a stop in Deauville, France, to meet with other leaders of the Group of 8 major industrial nations.

Obama told reporters in London that a Palestinian state can be created through negotiations, but that it will require "wrenching compromise from each side." He said the effort by Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, to seek U.N. recognition was "a mistake."

Although Cameron praised Obama's new principles for peace, which include using Israel's 1967 boundaries as a baseline for territorial negotiations, he declined to go further. British officials have previously warned Israelis that they could support a Palestinian bid for recognition if peace talks broke down.

Some other European officials said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's contentious visit to the White House and Capitol Hill convinced them that prospects for talks have actually declined. The officials said Netanyahu offered few concessions for a peace deal, and that the U.S. Congress appeared to squarely support Netanyahu's tough line.

"These meetings tested the willingness to go back to the negotiations, and they showed that the resistance was stronger than a lot of us thought," one senior European official said.

Most European nations have not committed themselves on the U.N. vote. The French and Spanish governments have suggested that they are leaning toward recognition; Germany and Italy appear reluctant.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Damn, Obama has really fallen off. What a disgrace this man has become.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ill probably be attacked for supporting obama but i think you gotta se a bigga picture on things like this
    because you dont know whats being talked about behind the scene
    plus he gotta play the game you elected a politician not a saint he gotta get elected next year
    also he hasnt really lost any fight on any issues right now so if he pushes later for
    some sort of peace agreement he may win
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Do people really think that honesty, integrity, and decency can be expected from people who hire out to the highest bidder regardless of the cause?

2786687465.jpg

They were putting the batteries in.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Egypt will permantly open its borders with Gaza again this saturday! The new military rulers have determined that(this is a big '? you' to the US & Israel)

Look, A(ipac)merica can lobby all they want, but the Egyptians aren't on the US/Israels nuts anymore, the Turks are also not on Israel or the US nuts anymore and the revolutions are still going strong. Palestine does not need US or Israeli approval now that Egypt is slowly coming back. Their former puppets in Egypt are facing trail.

and I expect the EU to fully recognize the new Palestien state in september in the UN. the fact that Obama and co need to lobby at EU members to not recognize Palestine should say enough: The Netherlands, France, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, SPain etc have stressed the need for a Palestine state and it has become unpopulair sentiment here in Europe to openly support the nation of Israel(which was different 5/10 years ago). So it looks like the EU will recognize a Palestinian state this septembre at the UN.

Lets not forget that EU members have voted against Israel in the last dozen UN resolutions(which the US veto'd). With the current revolutions and fresh possibilities it seems extremely unlikely that the EU will vote against a recognition of a Palestinian state.
  • Lancer
    Lancer Members Posts: 3
    edited May 2011
    Options
    i dont think he is doing anything wrong. He is favoring the us locals by doing this and capturing all the well known oil generating countries.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    uolag wrote: »
    You for got something...........America is rebuilding as well......think about it

Really? America is being systematically destroyed.What fantasy world are you living in?
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Damn, Obama has really fallen off. What a disgrace this man has become.

Are you really even surprised @ this point? What president in our lifetime has done anything beneficial for the people.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    ill probably be attacked for supporting obama but i think you gotta se a bigga picture on things like this
    because you dont know whats being talked about behind the scene
    plus he gotta play the game you elected a politician not a saint he gotta get elected next year
    also he hasnt really lost any fight on any issues right now so if he pushes later for
    some sort of peace agreement he may win

Even if you are right, Obama is gonna make America even more hated worldwide supporting Israel in this instance. In fact, only America and Israel are against a Palestinian state being created now. Pretty much all of Africa, Asia, and Latin America support the Palestinian cause. Al-Qaeda is gonna have a field day with this, and I'm supposed to worry about a ? election in 2012??

The only game Obama is playing right now is with our lives, this move is NOT gonna bring peace in the Middle East. It's only going to create more desperation and more terror. Obama is selling us out to America, shame on this ? ass ? .
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Lancer wrote: »
    i dont think he is doing anything wrong. He is favoring the us locals by doing this and capturing all the well known oil generating countries.

So being against a Palestinian state is good for America's interests worldwide??

You must also think the war in Afghanistan is going great, lol.....the Palestinian issue is a driving force for creating terrorism, including home grown terror. This move is only making America more hated worldwide, can you please explain to me how Obama is doing something right in this case?
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Are you really even surprised @ this point? What president in our lifetime has done anything beneficial for the people.

I know I know......but I really believed Obama in 2008 when he mentioned hope and change. Call me gullible if you want.

Haven't seen any positive change from him yet. Just more wars and more homeless people.
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited May 2011
    Options
    as much faith as i had in obama when he got elected, i knew this wouldnt change. this shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. israel doesnt just have obama by the ? , they got america by the ? , look how congress reacted to his policy speech. it seems to me that israel gets whatever they want eventually. the gov't might as well sponsor a plan to give all of the west bank and jerusalem to israel, cause that is what is going to happen anyway. lets stop acting like israel would ever compromise anything. lets hurry up and give israel everything they want so we can move on to something else less stupid. at this point, we should be only debating how israel is gonna pay us back for all of our support. i honestly think that each tax payer should get a free flight and two week vacation there, or make them our 51st state, or some ? .
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    the US Govt should let Israel fight its own battles

I mean if Israel does get wiped out of existence wouldnt that mean its was part of ? 's plan????
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    uolag wrote: »
    I think you should ask yourself that question

You must be ignorant to the debt crisis we are currently facing, that ? aint pretty fam.

I know I know......but I really believed Obama in 2008 when he mentioned hope and change. Call me gullible if you want.

Haven't seen any positive change from him yet. Just more wars and more homeless people.

You wasnt the only one, I was still half sleep in 08
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't really see what he said that was wrong? It will be a lot better in the long run to have negotiations between Egypt and Palestine to restore the old borders as opposed to the UN making a decision. I completely agree with his policy b/c I think it's as good as it's going to get. Palestine is never going to get what they feel they deserve, nor will Israel. I hate this "all or nothing" mentality that has permeated our collected conscience. As if b/c Obama said to hold off for now he's negating what he said last week. I even think last week was a step forward b/c 2 years ago I wrote an article in my school paper bashing him b/c he refused to acknowledge what I think are war crimes occurring in Israel.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited May 2011
    Options

I mean if Israel does get wiped out of existence wouldnt that mean its was part of ? 's plan????

America does let Israel fight its own battles. Israel can wipe out every single arab neighbor it has with its military with no help. This is the same country that fought 3 wars at once.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Israel can wipe out every single arab neighbor it has with its military with no help.

I wonder where they got such military prowess?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Egypt will permantly open its borders with Gaza again this saturday! The new military rulers have determined that(this is a big '? you' to the US & Israel)
    it's kind of a ? you to Israel, but i highly doubt that the Egyptian military wants to send a ? you to the US. what's more likely is that it's something they want to do and so they're going to do it without it being about a message to the US.
    Look, A(ipac)merica can lobby all they want, but the Egyptians aren't on the US/Israels nuts anymore...
    if Egypt was on the US's nuts, i'm assuming it was because of aid or something like that, which means i wouldn't say much has changed in that regard yet. now Israel's not doing themselves any favors by having played the "keep Mubarak around" card and then not done much to support democracy in Egypt.
    Palestine does not need US or Israeli approval now that Egypt is slowly coming back.
    the one thing i would say is that Palestine needs pretty much everyone that can pressure Israel to pressure Israel, which includes the US, even if the US isn't helping them out much right now ... unless Egypt wants to go to war for them, which i doubt.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I don't really see what he said that was wrong? It will be a lot better in the long run to have negotiations between Egypt and Palestine to restore the old borders as opposed to the UN making a decision. I completely agree with his policy b/c I think it's as good as it's going to get. Palestine is never going to get what they feel they deserve, nor will Israel. I hate this "all or nothing" mentality that has permeated our collected conscience. As if b/c Obama said to hold off for now he's negating what he said last week. I even think last week was a step forward b/c 2 years ago I wrote an article in my school paper bashing him b/c he refused to acknowledge what I think are war crimes occurring in Israel.

So you believe it's a GOOD thing to make America even more hated worldwide than we already are??

This is what passes for logic in America these days?? Wow. No wonder we've been fighting wars in the Middle East for as long as I can remember. These America haters worldwide (and in our own country) just seem to LOVE our foreign policy. I wonder why......
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options

Exactly.

But what I really don't understand is why so many Americans are so turned on by being hated by so many people throughout the world. Does America have a hate fetish?

Do Americans get turned on seeing other people around the world hate our guts because of our stupid as ? policies?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited May 2011
    Options
    So you believe it's a GOOD thing to make America even more hated worldwide than we already are??

This is what passes for logic in America these days?? Wow. No wonder we've been fighting wars in the Middle East for as long as I can remember. These America haters worldwide (and in our own country) just seem to LOVE our foreign policy. I wonder why......

How would that make America more hated, b? Calm down. Arab Spring has definitely changed the face of the middle east, but the U.S. is never going to be viewed particularly favorably in the region. However, Obama's speech received great reviews and was received well in the Arab World. According to BBC America and Al Jazeera anyways. But keep reading that Alex Jones ? and keep thinking what you want. My undergrad thesis was on American - Israeli relations, b. I'm not talking out of my ass.

I repeat, in the long run Obama's plan is better. Additionally, if he's able to accomplish his plan him and all presidents after him will be able to hold Israel to the fire like we do everyone else. Obama's taking a step that A. everyone thought he should take but no one thought he would and B. that no president since the 50's has to be honest. That's why he had to "address AIPAC" on sunday.

Obama's doing this to WIN favor with the Jews? Word? Is that really your argument? Is that really the logic you want me to believe?
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I wonder where they got such military prowess?

From the U.S. They were trained by the U.S. But right now the Mossad is up there with the our spec ops as well as british and russian spec ops, and Israel don't give a ? so they're considered the most dangerous cuz they'll say "? a human rights violation" quicker than any other country - even Russia.

Their nuclear arsenal(with our aide in the 70's) is the third largest after America and Russia.

c'mon duke, who they got it from is arbitrary, all that matters is that they have it. Like when people say "If Iran gets weapons they're gonna attack Israel." No country is attacking Israel, b. Why do you think splinter groups in palestine that are only some what associated with hamas attack Israel? B/c no one with a return address will b/c you'll have mossad and israeli forces on that ass, and no one wants that.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    How would that make America more hated, b? Calm down. Arab Spring has definitely changed the face of the middle east, but the U.S. is never going to be viewed particularly favorably in the region. However, Obama's speech received great reviews and was received well in the Arab World. According to BBC America and Al Jazeera anyways. But keep reading that Alex Jones ? and keep thinking what you want. My undergrad thesis was on American - Israeli relations, b. I'm not talking out of my ass.

I repeat, in the long run Obama's plan is better. Additionally, if he's able to accomplish his plan him and all presidents after him will be able to hold Israel to the fire like we do everyone else. Obama's taking a step that A. everyone thought he should take but no one thought he would and B. that no president since the 50's has to be honest. That's why he had to "address AIPAC" on sunday.

Obama's doing this to WIN favor with the Jews? Word? Is that really your argument? Is that really the logic you want me to believe?

America is not doing itself any favors going against a Palestinian state, especially when Israel is continuing to build illegal settlements and steal more land. The speech was NOT well received by most of the Arab world, what the ? are you reading? Hamas said the speech proved America is biased for Israel (which is true), and others said Obama was better off not saying anything. Some praised it, but most said it didn't go far enough. America could gain favorability with the Arab world by not acting like a pathetic lapdog for Israel, which he is constantly doing. He is still gonna give Israel money and loans, despite the illegal settlements and constant theft of land.

The only thing Obama accomplished with his AIPAC speech was proving again he's a slave to Benjamin Netanyahu (like most America politicians). He had some good points, such as telling Israel it should go back to the pre 1967 borders, just as the Arab League wants. But Obama ? up by saying Palestinians shouldn't go to the United Nations to go for a state, and he further ? up by not addressing the right of return for Palestinians kicked out of their lands in 1948.

You truly believe Obama's speech was well recieved in the Middle East??? LMAO......who told you that?

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/middleeast/news/article_1640361.php/Arabs-sceptical-disappointed-after-Obama-s-speech

Cairo - Many Arabs expressed their disappointment and scepticism on Friday towards US President Barack Obama's speech on uprisings sweeping the Middle East region.

The editor of the pan-Arab daily al-Hayat, Ghassan Charbel, thought that 'nothing about the speech was not predictable.'

'As for peace between Israel and the Palestinians, repeating the general principles did not hide the fact that Obama has failed to achieve a breakthrough in this essential file,' Charbel added.

The US president was criticised for not addressing key issues central to the Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, including the status of Jerusalem and the right of Palestinian refugees to return to Israel, despite calling for a solution based on 1967 borders.

'So, he will not address Jerusalem now. What about Jaffa, and Hebron, and the West Bank?' Egyptian activist Mai Saad queried in remarks to the German Press Agency dpa.

'And you swap lands when you own something. Where will the Palestinian refugees stay when they return?'

Saad also believes that Obama's 'soft stance on violations in Syria and Bahrain was provocative' to people in the region.

Regional media compared the speech to the landmark 2009 address by Obama at Cairo's university, in which he promised support for democracy in the Arab world.

Thursday's speech showed that 'Obama was trying to present a policy that can cope with the wind that blew across the region,' Charbel said.

A senior Muslim Brotherhood member said the speech was disappointing, and there was no new US strategy.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Their nuclear arsenal(with our aide in the 70's) is the third largest after America and Russia.
    points of disagreement:
    01. i don't think Israel has more nukes than China or the UK or France; i don't think estimates put them over India or Pakistan. but i could be wrong because we are talking about a number they will never admit.
    02. my understanding was that the British and French were the ones that made it happen for them, and even earlier than the 1970s.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2011
    Options
    From the U.S. They were trained by the U.S. But right now the Mossad is up there with the our spec ops as well as british and russian spec ops, and Israel don't give a ? so they're considered the most dangerous cuz they'll say "? a human rights violation" quicker than any other country - even Russia.

c'mon duke, who they got it from is arbitrary, all that matters is that they have it. Like when people say "If Iran gets weapons they're gonna attack Israel." No country is attacking Israel, b. Why do you think splinter groups in palestine that are only some what associated with hamas attack Israel? B/c no one with a return address will b/c you'll have mossad and israeli forces on that ass, and no one wants that.

Again, why defend a nation that is so hated? Israel is ? up violating so many United Nations rules, why protect them? They are not helping American interests. Israel is looking out for itself, not America. America gains nothing protecting Israel, what's the purpose? Israel is radioactive, let them fend for themselves.