**So SOUTH PARK just ETHER'd da ? out of the NCAA??

Options
greenwood1921
greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
"...Did dem dudes just did dat??"
2005_04_johnstarks_big.jpg

LANK TO EPISODE: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e05-? -baby-athletic-association

I've been sayin' the NCAA is on some slave ? . But leave it to South Park to apply the same idea with hilarity.

What y'all thank?

Comments

• ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ncaa in general is the most bias, slave farmish thing the white man has been able to lead. Hard working kids, a lot of whom are minorities, play for FREE most of the time with there lives at risk as they make guilt free money off sponsers/revenue,etc. The Fab Five doc symbolized the reality: These kids made nike millions every year, the ncaa millions, michigan millions...but they were eating ramen and some of them never made it to the league or even close to as much money. I don't se ewho it hurts to get a paid intern type deal for this kids to go train with actual nba leagues and they want guys going to school longer? Give them an incentive besides a piece of paper for a degree that likely won't pay half of what they could potentially make as just a bench player in the nba.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ysl313 wrote: »
    ncaa in general is the most bias, slave farmish thing the white man has been able to lead. Hard working kids, a lot of whom are minorities, play for FREE most of the time with there lives at risk as they make guilt free money off sponsers/revenue,etc. The Fab Five doc symbolized the reality: These kids made nike millions every year, the ncaa millions, michigan millions...but they were eating ramen and some of them never made it to the league or even close to as much money. I don't se ewho it hurts to get a paid intern type deal for this kids to go train with actual nba leagues and they want guys going to school longer? Give them an incentive besides a piece of paper for a degree that likely won't pay half of what they could potentially make as just a bench player in the nba.

Purty much. One of today's biggest hypocrisies. Then again, we're all somewhat guilty considering that we support the trade in every way (buying the merchandise, watching the games, etc.) But I guess that's like the slave trade too. Just 'cause a dude buys a shirt made of cotton back in the day doesn't mean he's as bad as a slave owner.

Speaking of Michigan -- the Big 10 is discussing the possibility of "player vouchers" which sounds like the first step to paying athletes.

lol @ the Big 10 trying to cover for Michigan and Ohio State 'cause they know they can't and won't "stop" them from cheating.

An' real talk: NCAA infractions are like running red lights -- Everybody's done it, is doing it, or has done it at some point. Some do it on purpose, some don't realize they've done it till it's too late. But schools like Ohio State, USC, etc are doing the equivalent of driving ? and PURPOSELY running red lights and crashing into muhfuggas, lol.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    "...Did dem dudes just did dat??"
    2005_04_johnstarks_big.jpg

LANK TO EPISODE: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e05-? -baby-athletic-association

I've been sayin' the NCAA is on some slave ? . But leave it to South Park to apply the same idea with hilarity.

What y'all thank?

Excerpt for the A.D.D. ? too lazy to watch the whole thing....

"Stew-dent Ath-u-leets. That's Brilliant!"

"I ain't arguin'!!"

Classic, lol.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    amazingly etherous and it will be overlooked and ignored...

...Wurd.

Don't let'em do a Drake or Lil Wayne episode like...

KANYE%20WEST%20GAY%20FISH%202.JPG

...And you'll have grown ass ? talkin' on here like school girls. lol

South Park goes WAAAY over some ? 's heads sometimes. I bet they threw that "Colorado" scene in at the last minute just to make sure people got the point.

Same thing with shows like BOONDOCKS. I run into ? to this day that still don't know that the episode with that shootout in the gas station was a Iraq war analogy and these "? "...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFqPugzvRzA8CCAvpf_OPeKFgvk8xVjRio3BrQl9U7k0cCWmTL&t=1

...are based on Bush and ? Cheney. (No, really, it's ? that stupid, B. lol)
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Yea I saw this the other day. Laughed through the whole episode. I started to post it, but changed my mind. But yea that episode was ether to the NCAA. I'm waiting to see who talks about it.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    ya boi g wrote: »
    Yea I saw this the other day. Laughed through the whole episode. I started to post it, but changed my mind. But yea that episode was ether to the NCAA. I'm waiting to see who talks about it.

Won't be ESPN. They'll be talkin' about Pippen's Jordan/Lebron comments until the NFL comes back -- Or Jesus. Whichever comes first.
  • Straight Cash Homie
    Straight Cash Homie Members Posts: 66
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Student athletes get a FREE education that many of them wouldn't get otherwise.

And the reason athletes don't get paid is that if they paid the football team or basketball team, they'd have to pay the women's rowing team or the men's wrestling team too. And they'd all have to be paid equally.

In Canada, athletes don't get scholarships to play sports. Of course, anyone who has watched CIS (Canada's NCAA) sports will see the product of that. The level of play is not very good.

While a lot of money is made of student athletes, coming up with a system that would be fair to ALL students AND athletes would be quite difficult.

But that South Park with Cartman at CU was hilarious.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Student athletes get a FREE education that many of them wouldn't get otherwise.

And the reason athletes don't get paid is that if they paid the football team or basketball team, they'd have to pay the women's rowing team or the men's wrestling team too. And they'd all have to be paid equally.

In Canada, athletes don't get scholarships to play sports. Of course, anyone who has watched CIS (Canada's NCAA) sports will see the product of that. The level of play is not very good.

While a lot of money is made of student athletes, coming up with a system that would be fair to ALL students AND athletes would be quite difficult.

But that South Park with Cartman at CU was hilarious.

Okay, but um....

• killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Most schools are in the red when it comes to athletics not sure how paying players would work.
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    Most schools are in the red when it comes to athletics not sure how paying players would work.

Most businesses are in the red right now. Think they could get away with not paying working employees?
  • trACE_evidence
    trACE_evidence Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

you actually believe this?
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Most businesses are in the red right now. Think they could get away with not paying working employees?

Thats different
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options

He's right if you're counting ? programs like Baylor or even smaller, non-major-conference schools and bunching them in with the Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world.

But like I said, even in a good economy most new businesses fail and the majority of established companies operate in the red all the time.... But that doesn't mean they can pay their employees with bubble gum.
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options

I know it...Just because Uni of Texas football team brings in 50 mill doesnt mean the LAX or Tennis or golf team is doing the same
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Thats different

Oh yeah, I forgot...

...They are "Stew-dent Ath-u-leets". Riiiiiight. lol
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options
    He's right if you're counting ? programs like Baylor or even smaller, non-major-conference schools and bunching them in with the Oklahomas and Ohio States of the world.

But like I said, even in a good economy most new businesses fail and the majority of established companies operate in the red all the time.... But that doesn't mean they can pay their employees with bubble gum.

Businesses can operate in the red its different... It aint a good look if NCST aint have a football season because womens track n field aint bring in no doough
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot...

...They are "Stew-dent Ath-u-leets". Riiiiiight. lol

Not at all I'm not disagreeing with them getting paid I just dont think its financially possible
  • trACE_evidence
    trACE_evidence Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

I know it...Just because Uni of Texas football team brings in 50 mill doesnt mean the LAX or Tennis or golf team is doing the same

oh_I_see.gif

oh okay. I get what y'all sayin now...
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Not at all I'm not disagreeing with them getting paid I just dont think its financially possible

It's more than possible. For the same reason businesses are still able to make payroll while in the red.

It's real simple. Student pay is based solely on revenue/profits and paid out in trust funds like pensions. Program generates a certain amount of money, player gets paid in his trust fund based on his pay "rating" (like Pension ratings) and gets the money once he completes a certain number of years at the school (negotiated during recruiting). If player doesn't start, he gets less, if he starts he gets more, etc.

Nothing in the law says students can't be paid by the schools they go to.

And the Golf team gets paid the same way -- based on how much money the Golf team actually generates.

It would be a massive paper trail that would have to followed, but that's no different than a corporation having to navigate thru mountains of paperwork every tax season.

In fact, it's almost unfair that colleges make the profits that they do and NOT have to deal with the employee-related IRS red tape that every other for-profit entity has to deal with.

College sports are making millions to billions without adequately paying the ones most responsible for the revenue -- plain and simple.

But hey...

*Cartman Slave-Owner voice*

"I ain't arguin!"
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options
    What I think they could do is allow them to have kind of a profit sharing for example say Texas football brings in 50 mill then they take 1% of that and divide it up amongst the 4 yr graduating seniors who have kept there grades up and have not been in any trouble...of course it wouldnt be a hell of a lot maybe 25K per person and thats for UT all schools would be a lot less but its better than going into the real world with nothing...You would have the grades to land a job the schools not going broke paying you and you get a check for doing something you loved anyway
  • killap
    edited May 2011
    Options
    It's more than possible. For the same reason businesses are still able to make payroll while in the red.

It's real simple. Student pay is based solely on revenue/profits and paid out in trust funds like pensions. Program generates a certain amount of money, player gets paid in his trust fund based on his pay "rating" (like Pension ratings) and gets the money once he completes a certain number of years at the school (negotiated during recruiting). If player doesn't start, he gets less, if he starts he gets more, etc.

Nothing in the law says students can't be paid by the schools they go to.

And the Golf team gets paid the same way -- based on how much money the Golf team actually generates.

It would be a massive paper trail that would have to followed, but that's no different than a corporation having to navigate thru mountains of paperwork every tax season.

In fact, it's almost unfair that colleges make the profits that they do and NOT have to deal with the employee-related IRS red tape that every other for-profit entity has to deal with.

College sports are making millions to billions without adequately paying the ones most responsible for the revenue -- plain and simple.

But hey...

*Cartman Slave-Owner voice*

"I ain't arguin!"

I think were arriving at the same place just taking a different route the issue at this point would be a cap on paying players so the big 6 dont ? even more on everyone else
  • greenwood1921
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I think were arriving at the same place just taking a different route the issue at this point would be a cap on paying players so the big 6 dont ? even more on everyone else

Pretty much -- which proves my point. I don't work in finance, and I assume you don't -- so if we can come up with a decent pay-plan in 5 minutes -- you mean to tell me the NCAA can't come up with one in a hundred years of making billions on the backs of student athletes (of all races, btw.)?????

1. Bull
    2. ?

Just greedy muhfugga's makin' money with the least amount of overhead legally possible. Capitalism 101. Oklahoma's Women's Softball team makes enough money to keep the school running -- so the rest is just profit. My high school had a volleyball and Golf team, and that ? was in the hood and state funded -- So I'll be damn if a major school needs millions of dollars of Bowl game and NCAA Tourney money just to "stay out of the red."

Call a ? a ? , bruh.