Why Do Southern Whites Still Fly The Confederate Flag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    he also didnt care whether the slaves were going be free or not

yeah i remember him saying that also...and they kinda were not free after slavery ended due to racist laws implemented...
  • mr.throwback
    mr.throwback Members Posts: 34
    edited May 2011
    Options
    when i see that flag im checkin fa them big tite hill billy hoes that take ? PPPPPOOOOOOOWWWW...
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    Its the most socially acceptable and visiible way to express thier racist views and reminisce for an earlier time.

Thats why.

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    cuz they slow..
  • NastyNasty
    NastyNasty Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Slavery was the central issue surrounding the civil war. People just don't like to admit white northerners ended slavery.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    its a symbol that at one point really did have an innocent meaning and a show of pride. Much like a ? .

also like a ? , a few bad apples spoiled the bunch and now it is a tainted symbol. deal with it white people.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    its a symbol that at one point really did have an innocent meaning and a show of pride. Much like a ? .

also like a ? , a few bad apples spoiled the bunch and now it is a tainted symbol. deal with it white people.

I don't think it was ever really innocent.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    Its the most socially acceptable and visiible way to express thier racist views and reminisce for an earlier time.

Thats why.
    haute wrote: »
    What else would salty crackers cling to???

These two posts answer the question. No need to go on any further with this thread.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    NastyNasty wrote: »
    Slavery was the central issue surrounding the civil war. People just don't like to admit white northerners ended slavery.
    no one has a problem saying that they ended slavery (because they indeed did) what were saying is that it was not the driving force behind the civil war what is what they want u to think
  • Intellectual_Liberal
    Intellectual_Liberal Members Posts: 192
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Most white gangs are
    As well as most latin gangs; well in L.A. at least...
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    I'm sure that some of them actually aren't racist and really do just believe in "state's rights". If the civil war had been fought to free the slaves then it would have been justified but it wasn't.
    The United States didnt fight the civil war specifically to free slaves but the south created the Confederacy specifically to have the right to treat blacks as inferior. Youre not from america so u wouldnt understand, you can read all the history books you want but until you actually SEE the stark racial inequality in the south only then can you understand that the confederate flag represents nothing more than Antebellum racist southern culture. There are alot of poor whites down south but wayy more extremely poor blacks

Im from los angeles and when i saw the rural poverty of blacks in the south combined with those states that have confederate symbols in their state flags i was disgusted by the whole region
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    shoot when u see that flag
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    huruma not from america???
  • Intellectual_Liberal
    Intellectual_Liberal Members Posts: 192
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    The United States didnt fight the civil war specifically to free slaves but the south created the Confederacy specifically to have the right to treat blacks as inferior. Youre not from america so u wouldnt understand, you can read all the history books you want but until you actually SEE the stark racial inequality in the south only then can you understand that the confederate flag represents nothing more than Antebellum racist southern culture. There are alot of poor whites down south but wayy more extremely poor blacks

Im from los angeles and when i saw the rural poverty of blacks in the south combined with those states that have confederate symbols in their state flags i was disgusted by the whole region
    Well said.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Youre not from america so u wouldnt understand, you can read all the history books you want but until you actually SEE the stark racial inequality in the south only then can you understand that the confederate flag represents nothing more than Antebellum racist southern culture. There are alot of poor whites down south but wayy more extremely poor blacks

You make a valid argument, I was just pointing out that it isn't absolutely and unambiguously a symbol of racial hatred or supremacy.
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    cuz the Confederate Flag represents the south. Not only slavery.

it dont represent the south im from
    all you see is rednecks flying that ?
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    if some crackers got a confederate flag
    you can believe theres a sheet with two holes in it in they house