Bring the 1 series to the US (at least the 5 door)

Options
real ness
real ness Members Posts: 263
edited June 2011 in Let Me Ride
For people that want a BMW and what it brings (performance, rear wheel drive, prestige, etc) at an affordable price, especially in this economy. I already see a good number of the coupes/convertibles on the streets, so with the turbo inline-six and the non-turbo six it would sell a good number especially if it's cheaper than the coupes/convertibles like it usually is.

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2011/1/default.aspx

I don't get what you're asking for... The 1-series already has a presence in the US market. While not the full line, we do still have some models. The problem is selling a "luxury" compact car in a market where "compact" still conjures images of Yugo's, Daewoo's, and other ? -mobiles.
  • real ness
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'm talkin the 5 door at least its in the thread title, and i said the coupe/convertible is already here in the post. It will sell simply because it's a BMW and people love BMW, especially if they're cheap(er) with about 300hp.

And it's not a cheap brand tryin to be expensive (like the VW Phaeton) it's and expensive brand being cheap with the same build quality, so it'll sell. You or anybody else honestly compare a BMW to a Daewoo? wow.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    real ness wrote: »
    I'm talkin the 5 door at least its in the thread title, and i said the coupe/convertible is already here in the post. It will sell simply because it's a BMW and people love BMW, especially if they're cheap(er) with about 300hp.

And it's not a cheap brand tryin to be expensive (like the VW Phaeton) it's and expensive brand being cheap with the same build quality, so it'll sell. You or anybody else honestly compare a BMW to a Daewoo? wow.

no, but as I already said, in America "compact" means "cheap shitmobile". Doesn't matter if it's a BMW, Mercedes, or whomever, compact=shitcar in the eyes of the American consumer. Luxury, fast, or whatever $30K+ for a compact car is far more than the average American is willing to pay for a compact, especially when Chevy has it's own "bat outta hell" compact for over ten thousand dollars less than a 135i (Chevy Cobalt SS).
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I actually like the 1series BMW... I personally wouldnt buy one, but My brother has A diesel one (the hatch version)... BMW invited Me and My old man and his bredren to A track day A month or so ago, and I drove the 135 Coupe M version (the estate) its got about 330 BHP lol I couldn't believe it, I think its twin turbo haha Most BM's are naturally aspirated, which gives them that lovely screaming tinny metal noise when you put your footdown, like the M3's make... But yeah, I was well impressed with it, they do about 0-62 in 5seconds, but £30,000 is stupid money for A 1series, although the car itself was great... Imagine your in A M3 and you get done by A 1series, you would Be ? lmao They only place hatchbacks arnt popular is America cah your roads are so big, but in all other Countries they are big sellers...
  • real ness
    edited August 2010
    Options
    no, but as I already said, in America "compact" means "cheap shitmobile". Doesn't matter if it's a BMW, Mercedes, or whomever, compact=shitcar in the eyes of the American consumer. Luxury, fast, or whatever $30K+ for a compact car is far more than the average American is willing to pay for a compact, especially when Chevy has it's own "bat outta hell" compact for over ten thousand dollars less than a 135i (Chevy Cobalt SS).

ok thats your opinion based on what you like that you tryin to speak for everybody else with. to the average consumer who dreams to one day own a BMW or a Benz they dont look at the 3 sedans and the C class as entry level cars to aspire to get into but view the 1 series & the A class as ? cars, they're made by the same company with same build quality.......Therefore if a person can spend for a 3 series if they cant afford more they can put down on a 1 series too. look how many 1 series coupes and convertibles are all over the place, its the same series they dont view them as ? cars the people who buy them.....hell look how many smart cars are around (a subdivision of mercedes) if they didnt have such poor crash standards more people would get em.

dont confuse a person not liking a car visually or by brand with it being of ? quality = not the same thing

Chevy doesnt make the Cobalt SS anymore. And once again everybody dont use the same criteria for buying cars. There's lots of cars that are cheaper/faster/better looking/etc than others ones but people buy what they like and for people who like BMW's (and there's a good number) they would buy a 1 hatchback if that's all they could spring for.

THE ACTUAL build quality of a 1 series hatchback and 1 series coupe/convertible and a 3, 5, 6, 7 series and a X1, 3, 5, 6 isnt any dramatically different
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ok thats your opinion based on what you like that you tryin to speak for everybody else with. to the average consumer who dreams to one day own a BMW or a Benz they dont look at the 3 sedans and the C class as entry level cars to aspire to get into but view the 1 series & the A class as ? cars, they're made by the same company with same build quality.......Therefore if a person can spend for a 3 series if they cant afford more they can put down on a 1 series too. look how many 1 series coupes and convertibles are all over the place, its the same series they dont view them as ? cars the people who buy them.....hell look how many smart cars are around (a subdivision of mercedes) if they didnt have such poor crash standards more people would get em.

dont confuse a person not liking a car visually or by brand with it being of ? quality = not the same thing

Chevy doesnt make the Cobalt SS anymore. And once again everybody dont use the same criteria for buying cars. There's lots of cars that are cheaper/faster/better looking/etc than others ones but people buy what they like and for people who like BMW's (and there's a good number) they would buy a 1 hatchback if that's all they could spring for.

THE ACTUAL build quality of a 1 series hatchback and 1 series coupe/convertible and a 3, 5, 6, 7 series and a X1, 3, 5, 6 isnt any dramatically different

that's not an opinion I stated. Compact hatchbacks, in the USA, are the territory of cheap shitboxes. The US consumer sees a hatchback and thinks "cheap shitbox" with only ONE exception and that's Saab.

Not one luxury brand has been able to successfully bring their compact hatchbacks to the US market because of this notion. Ford even tried to bring their very popular models from Europe and failed because, once again, the US consumer saw "luxury hatch" and scoffed at it.

The Benz C230 hatch didn't sell like they wanted it to, the Audi coupe didn't do so well, BMW's 3-Series hatch sold like ass, and when Austin Rover hit the US market with the Sterling (a rebadged Rover 800), the hatch was the least liked version of that line. Peugeot couldn't move their sedans, let alone even contemplate bringing their hatches over here, and even Alfa Romeo had a tough time moving the luxury hatch Milano/Alfa 75 (and the 164, even with Chrysler backing them, was hard to move)

Face it bruh, history, not opinion, does not favor the luxury hatch in America. At best, it'll be a niche car, like the Mini.
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the reasons hatches dont do well in america, is because you dont need them... you have great big open roads, and your fuel is mad cheap... in europe we have small ass tight roads and the fuel (at least in uk) is extorsnate...

most hatchbacks over here are sold to younguns or drivers who have just passed their tests...
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    hatchbacks i really like, they are all standard/stock:

Golf MK4 R32
    blackR32.jpg

r32.JPG

16.original.jpg

Audi S3
    2007-mtm-audi-s3-front-view-588x441.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Renualt V6 (dont see many)
    renault12.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    More pics of the beauty

BMW-Z3-70451.jpg

33847610002_large.jpg

fs_948081.jpg

bmw-z3-1-1-s.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Z3 Roadster Coupe (love this car)

mr_mcoupe.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Peugeot 106 GTI

ab84bf25.jpg

4.jpg

img_6385.jpg

mysaxovtrforsale061.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    n857680693_4137710_5654.jpg

Honda Civic Type R

honda-civic-type-r.jpg
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the last peugeot sold in the US was the 405 and it flopped miserably. Before that, it was the 505. There was supposed to be an American variant of the 309 but that never happened.
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Im not really A fan of Peugeots, I only like the 205GTI's and 106GTI/Quicksilvers...
  • real ness
    edited August 2010
    Options
    that's not an opinion I stated. Compact hatchbacks, in the USA, are the territory of cheap shitboxes. The US consumer sees a hatchback and thinks "cheap shitbox" with only ONE exception and that's Saab.

Not one luxury brand has been able to successfully bring their compact hatchbacks to the US market because of this notion. Ford even tried to bring their very popular models from Europe and failed because, once again, the US consumer saw "luxury hatch" and scoffed at it.

The Benz C230 hatch didn't sell like they wanted it to, the Audi coupe didn't do so well, BMW's 3-Series hatch sold like ass, and when Austin Rover hit the US market with the Sterling (a rebadged Rover 800), the hatch was the least liked version of that line. Peugeot couldn't move their sedans, let alone even contemplate bringing their hatches over here, and even Alfa Romeo had a tough time moving the luxury hatch Milano/Alfa 75 (and the 164, even with Chrysler backing them, was hard to move)

Face it bruh, history, not opinion, does not favor the luxury hatch in America. At best, it'll be a niche car, like the Mini.

First off the title said "bring the 1 series hatchback here" not "the 1 series will sell like a ford f150 with the rihanna wet ? package". lots of low sale volume cars sell in this category like the Mini, the Beetle, the Smart, the Golf/Rabbits, the Yaris, etc.....and now adding to the list the Ford Fiesta and the mazda 2 (i saw my first one today). you may have to eat those words about Ford failing bringing their popular brands over here and failing, as you're not keeping up with auto news. and you can thank expensive gas prices for that. clearly more than one exception already. don't be surprised if the 1 series hatchback isn't far behind.

Ford isn't a luxury brand in this country at least.

the C hatch and 3 hatches were weird looking because they took long vehicle platforms and chopped them off no big surprise they didnt sell much. The 1 series has it's own platform more or less and didn't nothin drastic to it to make it. The a3 still sells, and now with a diesel what you talkin bout.

Peugeots had questionable reliability from what I remember, as did Fiats, those were in fact ? cars because they were ? cars. again not the same as a BMW built vehicle. I dont remember alfa romeos or rovers.
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options
    First off the title said "bring the 1 series hatchback here" not "the 1 series will sell like a ford f150 with the rihanna wet ? package". lots of low sale volume cars sell in this category like the Mini, the Beetle, the Smart, the Golf/Rabbits, the Yaris, etc.....and now adding to the list the Ford Fiesta and the mazda 2 (i saw my first one today). you may have to eat those words about Ford failing bringing their popular brands over here and failing, as you're not keeping up with auto news. and you can thank expensive gas prices for that. clearly more than one exception already. don't be surprised if the 1 series hatchback isn't far behind.

Ford isn't a luxury brand in this country at least.

the C hatch and 3 hatches were weird looking because they took long vehicle platforms and chopped them off no big surprise they didnt sell much. The 1 series has it's own platform more or less and didn't nothin drastic to it to make it. The a3 still sells, and now with a diesel what you talkin bout.

Peugeots had questionable reliability from what I remember, as did Fiats, those were in fact ? cars because they were ? cars. again not the same as a BMW built vehicle. I dont remember alfa romeos or rovers.

Take the time to digest what I've said, then take another look at the 1-series hatch. It's not much different looking from any other hatchback already sold here in the US. Honda, Ford, and Mazda pretty much have that market sewn up, so what would be the point in bringing what would be considered an overpriced econobox here to the States? BMW is playing this market precisely the way it should. There's a market here for the 1 series coupe and convertible, the rest would not do well at all here and they know that.

The Audi A3 is being sold here, but it's not SELLING. There's a difference. Offering a car doesn't mean it's generating much in the way of sales. The A3, at $27K, is simply not a good car for this market. Most people who would buy an Audi know that they share components, if not entire chassis and drivetrains, with Volkswagen offerings. The person that would consider an A3, would also look first at a Volkswagen GTI and likely buy one.
  • love yal
    love yal Members Posts: 1,327
    edited May 2011
    Options
    renault12.jpg

Nice Renualt v6
  • real ness
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Now a Fiat is already on the streets
  • love yal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Z3 Roadster Coupe (love this car)

mr_mcoupe.jpg

Nice Z3 Roadster Coupe....what year is the bmw?
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    love yal wrote: »
    Nice Z3 Roadster Coupe....what year is the bmw?

they where around from 99-02... i know someone who had one... they are well nice...
  • love yal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    they where around from 99-02... i know someone who had one... they are well nice...

Have you ever drivin it?......how much do you think the Z3 Roadster Coupe is worth?
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    love yal wrote: »
    Have you ever drivin it?......how much do you think the Z3 Roadster Coupe is worth?

no ive never driven that model, not sure how much, have a look on 'pistonheads.com' great website if your looking for a motor
  • love yal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    renault12.jpg

Nice Renualt V6 pic!