Real Talk is there any classic R&B music being made??

1235»

Comments

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    i don't see how people think Trey Songs can sing.... dude's voice sucks. i stopped ? with the radio a couple years ago, so i don't know who all is in the biz. but ? wasn't dropping ? like the ol'school ? back in the day. Teddy P. was a ? fool with it. and Chaka Khan is one of best singers still. and Prince is just a ? artist all around. they got folks like that these days?

Jamie Fox was the last dude i saw with any real talent. especially after hearing that brady bunch skit he did.
  • kirkangil
    kirkangil Members Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    That last Eric Benet album was hot.

Most of yall prob didnt listen.

You gotta dig past the radio if you want the good music.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    New school R&B sucks & is super dead...
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Trey should not even be mentioned in this thread.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    BSN by Maxwell is a classic . Pretty Wings will be played on your local quiet storms for the next 30 years.

Maxwell , Sade, Kem , and artist in that lane are the only ones with the talent and the ability to give you classic material. They dont only give you lyrics with depth , but musically they offer you more than just you basic track. They offer you real musicianship and instrumentation like they great artist of the past did ( ie Marvin Gaye , Steve Curtis Mayfeild etc ). The music also connect with is listeners so it will have more staying power than a Trey Songs Track.

If you really want to hear great music check out Esperanza Spalding. She is more talented musically than 95% of the artsit named on this entire thread.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    come on fam...stop

ok prince didnt make a classic in the 2000's
    teddy p
    the ojays
    boyz II men
    R kelly
    the isley brothers....should i go on?
    Acutually Chocolate factory and Tp2-.com was good money
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Ibex wrote: »
    Drake got some classic R&B ? on his So Far Gone mixtape but ? hate him to much to acknowledge it

No...........mixtape was ? , but dude cant sing for ?
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned these guys/albums, but...

J. Holiday's last album was the best male R&B album of last you IMO. And it's full of "Baby Makin" joints, if you haven't heard it check it out.And for some good R&B (not just baby makin music) check out Eric Roberson, dude is a beast... his album "Left..." was serious.

And Raheem DeVaughn's last album was good as well.

yea................that Was A Crazy album...............kinda sad he didnt Sell
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    I think TS has a point....................The R&B Game is suffering from the Same thing HipHop is goin through, lack of talent..............U know the Game is ? up when A ? like Dream Or T-pain Could come on the scene, make an "R&B" album even though they cant sing for ? , and get praised and Lauded for it. its kinda sad, back in they Day u had to be able to Sing, ? dont Appreciate Singin No more. Trey is Cool, but I like Him on His First album. He was Really doin R&B then, Now he is just singin. Just like in HipHop, we have to Support ? with reall talent, how can really sing and make songs. Not Go and make Excuse 4 them
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    tri3w wrote: »
    I think TS has a point....................The R&B Game is suffering from the Same thing HipHop is goin through, lack of talent..............U know the Game is ? up when A ? like Dream Or T-pain Could come on the scene, make an "R&B" album even though they cant sing for ? , and get praised and Lauded for it. its kinda sad, back in they Day u had to be able to Sing, ? dont Appreciate Singin No more. Trey is Cool, but I like Him on His First album. He was Really doin R&B then, Now he is just singin. Just like in HipHop, we have to Support ? with reall talent, how can really sing and make songs. Not Go and make Excuse 4 them

The R&B and Hip Hop Hybrid is killing both genres as a whole . There is still good music out there you just have to be music savey to find it that's all
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    The R&B and Hip Hop Hybrid is killing both genres as a whole . There is still good music out there you just have to be music savey to find it that's all

im not gonna Say that Cuz Classic music has Been made with the Hybrid when done Correctly ( Be happy R.Kelly ft Biggie, Ur all I need Method man ft mary j bligde, old School Mary J Bligde, Damn near all of Mariah Carey's singles lol, New Jack Swng era, and more joints i cant think off at the moment lol). Its just the talent, we have to start Suppotin Talent ? and Stop Supportin ? music. Buy ? Albums...........thats Wat we need to do to Change this
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    im not gonna Say that Cuz Classic music has Been made with the Hybrid when done Correctly ( Be happy R.Kelly ft Biggie, Ur all I need Method man ft mary j bligde, old School Mary J Bligde, Damn near all of Mariah Carey's singles lol, New Jack Swng era, and more joints i cant think off at the moment lol). Its just the talent, we have to start Suppotin Talent ? and Stop Supportin ? music. Buy ? Albums...........thats Wat we need to do to Change this

Hey I feel you . But Kelly and Mary J are somewhat originators of that sound . What happened was they everybody and their mother started doing it instead of being original . I agree that we as a whole need to support talented artist with records sales, but those same artist do get supported with concert sales because their music connects with fans people will pay to go see them. The weak artist cant sell records or concert tickets that why they fall of so quick and have no classic material. Now the New Jack Swing Era, I personally hated , Most of those artist weren't even relevant after that era was up. This is just my opinion.
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Hey I feel you . But Kelly and Mary J are somewhat originators of that sound . What happened was they everybody and their mother started doing it instead of being original . I agree that we as a whole need to support talented artist with records sales, but those same artist do get supported with concert sales because their music connects with fans people will pay to go see them. The weak artist cant sell records or concert tickets that why they fall of so quick and have no classic material. Now the New Jack Swing Era, I personally hated , Most of those artist weren't even relevant after that era was up. This is just my opinion.

It was Hot lol............And Great music was coming from it...........any way, its true that they Get Tickets and What not............But what about the Accolades??? the Credit that they r due???
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    It was Hot lol............And Great music was coming from it...........any way, its true that they Get Tickets and What not............But what about the Accolades??? the Credit that they r due???

Hot yes, Timeless ? Thats another question. As far as accolades , people that know music give those artist the credit they deserve. Of course people want to get paid for the music they make , but true artist only need that accolades from the fans and other musicians .
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Hot yes, Timeless ? Thats another question. As far as accolades , people that know music give those artist the credit they deserve. Of course people want to get paid for the music they make , but true artist only need that accolades from the fans and other musicians .

I beg to differ, I think alot of Classic Joints Came out of that Union, LIke i stated b4 it was a matter of being Done Rite........
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    I beg to differ, I think alot of Classic Joints Came out of that Union, LIke i stated b4 it was a matter of being Done Rite........

Well let me rephrase that , Alot of classic joint did come out of it. You are correct it has to be done right , but artist with real talent. I am very selective with the music I listen to. If a song doesnt offer me anything musically or have any depth , I cant listen to it. For example I like think Trey is talented , but his songs have no depth. Because of that his songs dont have any staying power . Yea they are hot for a min, but not timeless. If he made song with more depth with the talent he has he can go from good to great.
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    Well let me rephrase that , Alot of classic joint did come out of it. You are correct it has to be done right , but artist with real talent. I am very selective with the music I listen to. If a song doesnt offer me anything musically or have any depth , I cant listen to it. For example I like think Trey is talented , but his songs have no depth. Because of that his songs dont have any staying power . Yea they are hot for a min, but not timeless. If he made song with more depth with the talent he has he can go from good to great.
    Yea.....................His first album was insane, Classic i think.........it was the First Compelete R&B album thst I heard in a while............but he stop[ped doin wat go him a Core Fan group Just to Sell, it a shame that he Didnt go gold on the First LP
  • Mrslim1
    edited February 2010
    Yea.....................His first album was insane, Classic i think.........it was the First Compelete R&B album thst I heard in a while............but he stopped doin wat go him a Core Fan group Just to Sell, it a shame that he Didnt go gold on the First LP

But this lastest album barley went gold , with all the singles he has had . And int he long run will this help is career or hurt it ?
  • tri3w
    edited February 2010
    But this lastest album barley went gold , with all the singles he has had . And int he long run will this help is career or hurt it ?

who knows really??? I think it wont Help him though......
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I think the threadstarter should be asking not if there is any classic R&B music beinge made, but whether there's any classic music being made PERIOD. because honestly, there really isnt and that goes for virtually every musical genre not just r&b. unless u venture into the underground
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    smh at the hype yall give Trey Songz, ? doesn't know if he want to rap or sing. Truth of the matter is, none of these ? are making soul or traditional music, the music is tacky and abrassive if you ask me. These dudes don't even have the class to use metaphors to describe sex anymore, they are straight out singing about ? and sucking literally. The last great R and B album i heard was Donell Jones "Where i wanna be" album.

I agree. What the ? are people excited about when it comes to Trey? I still don't get it. His image is oversexed and his albums are about ? from start to finish. Sure dude can sing, but his content is shallow as hell. R&B is in worse position than hip-hop right now. In times like that , a term "neo-soul" is more actual than it ever was. I thank ? for artists like Maxwell, Erykah, Jill & Saadiq for keeping genre alive. I also give props to Amerie, who hasn't got a voice of Aretha, but she has ideas on making her music and she succeeds at it.
  • Mrslim1
    edited March 2010
    Jill Scott and Maxwell are going on a 20 city Arena tour this spring/summer. Check it out.