• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ether takes this for the following reasons:

Can't y'all, see that he's fake, the rap version of TD jakes
    Prophesizing on your CDs and tapes
    Won't break you a crumb of the little bit that he makes
    And this is with whom you want to place your faith?
    I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
    When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
    Donating proceeds off every ticket sold
    When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
    Ain't I supposed to be absorbed myself?
    Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
    They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
    To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects
    These dudes is all politics, depositing checks
    they put in they pocket, all you get in return is a lot of lip

This exposed Jay Z for an insecure sore loser. He's bringing up how much he gave to charity to one up a rapper in a lyrical battle as if it somehow makes him bigger. Isn't charity supposed to come from the heart? Bragging about it pretty much nullifies the act.

And y'all buy the ? , caught up in the hype
    Cause the ? wear a coofie, it don't mean that he bright
    Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
    It just means you don't understand all the ? that he write

Right here is a loss within itself because he's questioning fans (hopefully not his own fans). This is between him and Nas not the listener nor the fans. He should've swayed the listener by going in on Nas not questioning why people like him.

Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?
    Is it "Black Girl Lost" or shorty owe you for ice?
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit

The strongest point that Jay made which is musically questioning Nas' consistency and integrity.

Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat

The death blow in Jay's self ethering. Here he contradicts himself by admitting loss.

There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens up for me
    When the grass is cut, the snakes will show
    I gotta thank the little homie Nas for that though
    Saving me the hassle of speaking to half of these ?
    And I'ma let karma catch up to Jaz-O, whoa
    I'm back before you had a chance to miss me
    My mama can't save you this time, ? is history
    Who you know flow vicious as me?
    Yet so religiously, that's why they call me Hov
    I get the spoils cause the victor is me (me, ? )
    You're an actor, you're not who you're depicted to be
    The street dreamin, all y'all ? living through me
    I gave you life when ? was forgetting you emcee
    I'm a legend, you should take a picture with me
    You should be happy to be in my presence, I should charge you a fee
    I'm Big Dog, Glenn Rob, listen ? you a flea
    And the little ? Jungle is a garden to me
    What's the problem B? You not as hard as me
    ? hard as we, ? R O C, ?
    That's why they follow me, they feel my pain and my agony, ?
    I won't rest till you on one knee
    You want war then it's war's gonna be, ?
    Until you on one knee, you want war then it's war's gonna be, ?

The insecurity shines through Jay's armor yet again as he pleads his case to the listener why he's better instead of proving by lyrically letting Nas have it.

Conclusion: "Ether" is the better diss because Nas went in on the intended target. Jay's verse from "Takeover" is the most potent diss from Jay throughout the whole battle. That and the Carmen lines from "Super Ugly" even though they were below the belt.
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ether takes this for the following reasons:

Can't y'all, see that he's fake, the rap version of TD jakes
    Prophesizing on your CDs and tapes
    Won't break you a crumb of the little bit that he makes
    And this is with whom you want to place your faith?
    I put dollars on mine, ask Columbine
    When the Twin Towers dropped, I was the first in line
    Donating proceeds off every ticket sold
    When I was out on the road, that's how you judge Hov, no?
    Ain't I supposed to be absorbed myself?
    Every time there's a tragedy, I'm the first one to help
    They call me this misogynist, but they don't call me the dude
    To take his dollars to give gifts at the projects
    These dudes is all politics, depositing checks
    they put in they pocket, all you get in return is a lot of lip

This exposed Jay Z for an insecure sore loser. He's bringing up how much he gave to charity to one up a rapper in a lyrical battle as if it somehow makes him bigger. Isn't charity supposed to come from the heart? Bragging about it pretty much nullifies the act.

And y'all buy the ? , caught up in the hype
    Cause the ? wear a coofie, it don't mean that he bright
    Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
    It just means you don't understand all the ? that he write

Right here is a loss within itself because he's questioning fans (hopefully not his own fans). This is between him and Nas not the listener nor the fans. He should've swayed the listener by going in on Nas not questioning why people like him.

Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?
    Is it "Black Girl Lost" or shorty owe you for ice?
    I've been real all my life, they confuse it with conceit

The strongest point that Jay made which is musically questioning Nas' consistency and integrity.

Since I will not lose, they try to help him cheat
    But I will not lose, for even in defeat

The death blow in Jay's self ethering. Here he contradicts himself by admitting loss.

There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens up for me
    When the grass is cut, the snakes will show
    I gotta thank the little homie Nas for that though
    Saving me the hassle of speaking to half of these ?
    And I'ma let karma catch up to Jaz-O, whoa
    I'm back before you had a chance to miss me
    My mama can't save you this time, ? is history
    Who you know flow vicious as me?
    Yet so religiously, that's why they call me Hov
    I get the spoils cause the victor is me (me, ? )
    You're an actor, you're not who you're depicted to be
    The street dreamin, all y'all ? living through me
    I gave you life when ? was forgetting you emcee
    I'm a legend, you should take a picture with me
    You should be happy to be in my presence, I should charge you a fee
    I'm Big Dog, Glenn Rob, listen ? you a flea
    And the little ? Jungle is a garden to me
    What's the problem B? You not as hard as me
    ? hard as we, ? R O C, ?
    That's why they follow me, they feel my pain and my agony, ?
    I won't rest till you on one knee
    You want war then it's war's gonna be, ?
    Until you on one knee, you want war then it's war's gonna be, ?

The insecurity shines through Jay's armor yet again as he pleads his case to the listener why he's better instead of proving by lyrically letting Nas have it.

Conclusion: "Ether" is the better diss because Nas went in on the intended target. Jay's verse from "Takeover" is the most potent diss from Jay throughout the whole battle. That and the Carmen lines from "Super Ugly" even though they were below the belt.

ok name facts that Nas said on Ether that hurt Jay cause it seemed like it was a hot track but far from Factual
  • georgia boi
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ok name facts that Nas said on Ether that hurt Jay cause it seemed like it was a hot track but far from Factual

I love it when people say "Ether" didn't have any facts:

"Queens ? run you ? , ask Russel Simmons"--- Russel Simmons who is from Queens ran Def Jam which was home to the Roc. Plus it's kind of a play on Run of Run DMC who is Russ's brother also from Queens. That's not to mention LL Cool J from Queens who was one of the biggest solo acts if not the first solo act that Def Jam signed.

"How much of Biggie's rhymes is gonna come out of your fat lip"--- Whether Jay bit or not is not the point. It's a fact that he used quite a few Big lines.

"From Shawn Carter to Jay Z, man you Jaz d***."---- Jay Z was running w/ Jaz O at the beginning of his career. Jay Z looks similar to Jaz O more so than it does Shawn Carter and leaves one to wonder if Jaz O was that much of an influence to him that he changed his name to Jay Z.

"You only concerned w/ dissing women."---- much of Jay Z's rhymes are filled w/ misogony most notably "Who U Wit II" and "Lobster & Scrimp." It's difficult to find a Jay song that speaks positive of women (I'm talking before the battle).

"Were you abused as a child, mad that they called you ugly"--- Jay pretty much admits how women treated him before the fame on "Song Cry."

"...wearing Hawaiian shirts"--- He wore one of those in the Hawaiian Sophie video.

"...kept my name in his music"--- Nas was mentioned or sampled on several Jay songs before the beef. He was sampled on "Dead Presidents II" and a track from Vol. 1. Jay mentioned him on "Where I'm From" and "This Can't Be Life."
  • innercity99
    innercity99 Members Posts: 892
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I love it when people say "Ether" didn't have any facts:

"Queens ? run you ? , ask Russel Simmons"--- Russel Simmons who is from Queens ran Def Jam which was home to the Roc. Plus it's kind of a play on Run of Run DMC who is Russ's brother also from Queens. That's not to mention LL Cool J from Queens who was one of the biggest solo acts if not the first solo act that Def Jam signed.

"How much of Biggie's rhymes is gonna come out of your fat lip"--- Whether Jay bit or not is not the point. It's a fact that he used quite a few Big lines.

"From Shawn Carter to Jay Z, man you Jaz d***."---- Jay Z was running w/ Jaz O at the beginning of his career. Jay Z looks similar to Jaz O more so than it does Shawn Carter and leaves one to wonder if Jaz O was that much of an influence to him that he changed his name to Jay Z.

"You only concerned w/ dissing women."---- much of Jay Z's rhymes are filled w/ misogony most notably "Who U Wit II" and "Lobster & Scrimp." It's difficult to find a Jay song that speaks positive of women (I'm talking before the battle).

"Were you abused as a child, mad that they called you ugly"--- Jay pretty much admits how women treated him before the fame on "Song Cry."

"...wearing Hawaiian shirts"--- He wore one of those in the Hawaiian Sophie video.

"...kept my name in his music"--- Nas was mentioned or sampled on several Jay songs before the beef. He was sampled on "Dead Presidents II" and a track from Vol. 1. Jay mentioned him on "Where I'm From" and "This Can't Be Life."

is this really wut u would call facts though?

wow he wore a hawaiian shirt is that really a low blow or something him dissin woman ok 1st off wut rapper doesn't diss woman but jay is def not known for dissin woman he's known for talkin bout hustlen the queens thing u reachin wit the only things that were facts is that he mentioned nas on a few tracks and that he uses some of bigs lines and i'll give u the Jaz O thing everything else is reachin
  • georgia boi
    edited February 2010
    Options
    is this really wut u would call facts though?

wow he wore a hawaiian shirt is that really a low blow or something him dissin woman ok 1st off wut rapper doesn't diss woman but jay is def not known for dissin woman he's known for talkin bout hustlen the queens thing u reachin wit the only things that were facts is that he mentioned nas on a few tracks and that he uses some of bigs lines and i'll give u the Jaz O thing everything else is reachin

Have you seen the "Hawaiian Sophie" video? Pac clowned him for it too which is probably where Nas got inspiration from. As far as Jay dissing women, have you heard "Who You Wit II"? It's a little bit beyond the level of what countless rappers from Too Short to Dre and Snoop were doing. Jay Z was saying "I hate b*****" not only in that song but others like "Lobster & Scrimp." Nas never said it was what Jay was known for, he said that it was all Jay was concerned with as in he doesn't have anything positive to say about them.

How is the Queens thing a reach? Russell Simmons, the co-founder and one time CEO of Def Jam, is from Hollis, Queens. When Jay signed with them and signed the Roc under their umbrella, that made Russell's company the parent label of the ROC. That means Queens "? " ran the Roc because all final decisions concerning the label had to go through Def Jam.
  • youngnick
    youngnick Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    "Why aint Nas put Eminem on "The Cross"?

BP2 was better then Ether. Nas is cool but ether sounded more like childish insults than facts. Just being real"

/\ /\

Cuz Nas didnt wanna get murdered on his own ?

Like Jay on Renegade?
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited February 2010
    Options
    When somebody gets killed we don't say that said person got "Blueprinted"...or any variation of a Jay diss production

I believe it is known as ethering...just saying

Jay easily
    Ether was all random assumptions and middle school comeback talk
    Jay hit dude with the truth.
    The truth>>>Lies everytime
    BP2>>>Ether
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    As great as ether was, BP2 was the most vicious diss ever. He killed Nas on that one.

Getwitcha
  • brazilblur
    brazilblur Members Posts: 668
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z >>>>>> Nas
    but cmon ether destroyed any diss put out by jay, maybe superiglt could stack up against ether!
  • funkt84
    funkt84 Members Posts: 9
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have to say, BP2 was hard, great track, great lyrics, and if it wasn't about nas, nas would have been bumping it. But, Ether, that was incredible. He got that hype all up to hear that response, and jus laid Jigga man out.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Whether or not Ether was better or not, it can't be denied. It came out of nowhere and it was like...BOOM!!! Jay probably was not expecting Nas to come like he did and for that diss to get played made Jay have to step up like it was mandatory or something. Ether will always have a spot in my music collection whether it be number one or 100,001.