Which had a greater impact (long and short term)...GRODT or College Dropout?

CeLLaR-DooR
CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Face Off Forum
I personally feel CD...

Discuss...

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    College Dropout is a classic and changed the game for good

GRODT was just hot for one year
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Probably College drop out.It was something new in the mist.Kanye dropped when the game was nothing but gangsta music.50 rode the gangsta wav thats it.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    College Dropout by far. That album showed that an artist could be successful with conscious music. That was it's impact. With Get Rich or Die Tryin', 50's persona overshadowed that album's impact. The album was dope, but impact wise, everybody was caught up on 50's back story, his image, and the beefs than anything. GRODT was more impactful commercially and he had bigger singles, but it was more so 50 Cent's image that shifted the dynamic in Hip Hop at the time than it was the music.
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Well, I see I don't have to state the obvious here....
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Seem cd still has an impact with all these softer rappers etc.
    Grodt and its gangsta impact has fade away in hip hop now days..
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Well, I see I don't have to state the obvious here....

Reason I ask is that someone said GRODT was the biggest release of the 00s...We discussed sales and impact...I said a number of albums were >> GRODT...MMLP, BP1, CD, etc...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Reason I ask is that someone said GRODT was the biggest release of the 00s...We discussed sales and impact...I said a number of albums were >> GRODT...MMLP, BP1, CD, etc...

Yeah, like GRODT is a legendary album in the timeline of hip hop, nobody can deny that. But as far as IMPACT gpes, there was none. 50 Cent's style was not revolutionary, he was just a good ass gangsta rapper. But as a rapper, I can honestly say College Dropout changed my whole perspective on how I could write songs and what my "image" should be. Although, of course, before there was a Kanye there were Outkasts, and Pharcydes, and Tribe Called Quests, and Mos Defs, etc...
  • MrCrafty
    MrCrafty Members Posts: 1,624
    edited June 2011
    Yeezy - college Dropout
  • No Competition
    No Competition Members Posts: 236 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Everyone came out trying to have the hardest single after GRODT. That album started the 50 Cent and G-Unit takeover that lasted like 3 years. CD is obviously better but when they both came out GRODT had the bigger impact and I dont see how thats even debateable ? are yall talking about
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    GRODT ended/started careers, I don't see how its not the most impactful out of the 2. Kanye eventually had impact on some of these soft ass rappers but it wasn't till after he released another 2 albums or so.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    College Dropout changed the game, period. If it wasn't for Kanye eponymous debut ,you wouldn't have rappers like Cudi, Wale, Cole, Big Sean flooding the game. 50's influence was short-living. After all, he ended making same type of music Ja Rule made, who he was going after like crazy during that period. Oh, irony. And GRODT wasn't even that good.
  • Zig Zag Zigga
    Zig Zag Zigga Members Posts: 417
    edited June 2011
    If it wasn't for Kanye eponymous debut ,you wouldn't have rappers like Cudi, Wale, Cole, Big Sean flooding the game.

GRODT wins automatically due to the above statement
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    GRODT was one of the most impactful albums of all time upon it's release. That ? shattered records.

It wasnt a masterpiece to begin with, but 50 killed it's legacy with the ? he's been dropping since.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    GRODT was one of the most impactful albums of all time upon it's release. That ? shattered records.

It wasnt a masterpiece to begin with, but 50 killed it's legacy with the ? he's been dropping since.

This is the reason that GRODT wasn't all that impactful. Albums with impact are not tarnished by any future lackluster material an artist drops. ? is still a significant album in Hip Hop despite how critics view every Snoop album since. Nastradamus, The Firm, and Street's Disciple haven't tarnished the impact and significance of Illmatic. Blueprint 2 and Blueprint 3 haven't killed the legacy of Blueprint.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    College dropout Killed gangster rap
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    College Dropout>>>>
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    guess i got to go against the grain....

i say GRODT.... it sold the most and people were trying to copy its formula.... and it started the beef era

CD was a great album but i dont hear any big name artist that is copying that formula... on a conscience note...
    and ? is still lying and putting up a fake image to appeal to the fans... thats not what CD was about...
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    This is the reason that GRODT wasn't all that impactful. Albums with impact are not tarnished by any future lackluster material an artist drops. ? is still a significant album in Hip Hop despite how critics view every Snoop album since. Nastradamus, The Firm, and Street's Disciple haven't tarnished the impact and significance of Illmatic. Blueprint 2 and Blueprint 3 haven't killed the legacy of Blueprint.

So are you saying that 808's and Heartbreak did not tarnish Kanye West's image or the impact that College Dropout had? 50 Cent has stuck with the same formula on all of his albums after GRODT yet people insist that he tarnished his image. Kanye does not even make the same material he did on College Dropout.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    As far as I can remember FROST had no impact. It didn't inspire any trends or change anything in the game. It sold a lot, but that's not an impact unless it led to others also doing big numbers.

CD as a lot of others have said, had some impact because it opened up a new lane and it brought back the soulful sound.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    "College Dropout" for sure as it is probably the most successful "Backpacker" LP since Fugees "The Score". Sure neither KanYe nor 50 Cent brought anything new to the table as they both used formulas that other artist made successful. Biggie and Jay Z mastered the Commercial/Street Formula 50 used on "Get Rich". And Tribe, Fugees and many others were able to cross over with conscious rhymes before KanYe. But "College Dropout" though it sold less has had more of a lasting Impact. It influenced a whole new generation of rappers that are popping up now and having success (Kudi and Drake). 50's album is one of New York's Biggest and Most Successful but it really hasn't had a strong influence. It didn't spring up a whole new era of Hard/Gangsta's rappers or rap. DMX's debut had more impact than "Get Rich" on the Hip Hop scene as far as influence as it made everyone want to spit hard again. There's no doubt that both LP's are Classics but I'd give the nod to KanYe cause again "Dropout" influence is still being felt till this day. In my opinion it may have been Hip Hop's last true certified Classic but don't get it twisted, 50 did drop a bomb on the game. "Get Rich" joints other NYC Impact Classics like "Life After Death", "It's Hot and Hell is Hot" and "Hard Knock Life" for being a NYC Emcee that dominated the charts and game.

8767-the-college-dropout.jpg
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    both are classics..........................
  • Monizzle
    Monizzle Members Posts: 1,666
    edited June 2011
    some "street" ? are mad that post college dropout gangsta rap lost allot of edge but honestly gangsta rap killed its self in my opinion. The new york gun play rap was honestly getting played out. Every ? from every block was trina make 300 bars about sqeesin the uzi and poppin the tooli with the ak on the side doing a drive by. And i live in the tri state area and enjoyed gangsta rap but honestly it was getting to lame after 2005.
  • BossIntellect
    BossIntellect Members Posts: 382
    edited June 2011
    I personally feel CD...

Discuss...

CD by far. When 50 dropped GRODT, we still had gangsta ? out. All 50 did was intensify the beef scene with this album...i guess
    CD made everybody go sample heavy on albums and had everyone dressing more mature.