Chino XL Appreciation.

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence
I love this dude no ? . sorry for using that term. but he is a BEAST! whats your favorite songs??

Let Em Live feat Kool G Rap

Riiiiiot Feat Ras Kass

No Complex

Kreep

Deliver

and tons more. guys punchlines are ? haymakers and his metaphors are ill.

whats your opinion on this guy? Fave songs? Fave Album?

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Also. Supposedly his newest album RICANstruction is dropping this year sometime. supposedly this month is what i heard. that was along time ago tho.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Chino is a verbal python...

your favorite rappers favorite rapper.

Mad cats were butthurt when Here To Save You All dropped. Dude was going after 2pac, Biggie and Dre in their prime.

To Top it off Em and Dre wanted to sign the dude when they heard Poison Pen. he said flat out NO.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    haha I agree, my favourite track is Skin... he had a lot of 'beef' with Eminem though, right?

I'll edit your post to include links to those tracks :tu

Any recommendations on albums to check from him? I only have him on features and some singles from his albums...
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    Chino is a verbal python...

your favorite rappers favorite rapper.

Mad cats were butthurt when Here To Save You All dropped. Dude was going after 2pac, Biggie and Dre in their prime.

To Top it off Em and Dre wanted to sign the dude when they heard Poison Pen. he said flat out NO.

Damn, didn't know that, you have a link to any info on that?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Here to Save You All is by far his best album. Every track is just a slaughter. I Told You So was good too. Poisen Pen is alright didnt have much of a replay value to me. he also has an album out with playatical some white dude, i cant recall what the albums called tho. i didnt like it very much just cuz playatical was on all the tracks.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Here to Save You All is by far his best album. Every track is just a slaughter. I Told You So was good too. Poisen Pen is alright didnt have much of a replay value to me. he also has an album out with playatical some white dude, i cant recall what the albums called tho. i didnt like it very much just cuz playatical was on all the tracks.

I've listened to half of Poison Pen, but I wasn't impressed, I'll check that album 'Here to Save You All'. Props on the recommendation, I do like him as an emcee and the above tracks I posted, I do really like... he's similar to RA the Rugged Man though in the sense that they've never made me want to check the solo album with the exception of some tracks I've caught wind of from their solo collection.
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    he lyrical and crafty but i cant help but think that he's been blackballed because he dissed pac while he was still alive. Pac said "Chino XL, ? YOU TOO!!!" and if you aint a real hiphop fan, you never heard of chino xl before that line and after that line.

I know he aint still underground because he thinks its cool and more respectable.
  • Jerecole
    Jerecole Members Posts: 55
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nunca and Skin are probably Chino XL's best tracks in my opinion. Definitely a top 5 guy talent wise. Always brings the lyrical dexterity but his production falls short many times.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

naw son, i read that on the main page mad years ago.

EDIT:

here's what i could find.

http://www.clublakers.com/the-graveyard/chino-turns-down-major-label-offer-and-prepares-drop-t46224.html
  • RXMasked
    RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    IMO: Chino XL, Big L, Lord Finesse are the best when it comes to punchlines.

Chino XL is one the most underrated lyricist we have in hip hop.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Sovo_Nah wrote: »
    he lyrical and crafty but i cant help but think that he's been blackballed because he dissed pac while he was still alive. Pac said "Chino XL, ? YOU TOO!!!" and if you aint a real hiphop fan, you never heard of chino xl before that line and after that line.

I know he aint still underground because he thinks its cool and more respectable.

Kinda messed up that 2pac had that affect on so many artists that were blackballed by him. Mobb Deep still catch flack for it along with the rest. Like I stated, Skin's easily the best track I've heard from him, but I'm going to check out Here to Save you All as of Lou's recommendation.
    Jerecole wrote: »
    Nunca and Skin are probably Chino XL's best tracks in my opinion. Definitely a top 5 guy talent wise. Always brings the lyrical dexterity but his production falls short many times.

That's what I remember finding when checking him out years ago with the production...
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    naw son, i read that on the main page mad years ago.

EDIT:

here's what i could find.

http://www.clublakers.com/the-graveyard/chino-turns-down-major-label-offer-and-prepares-drop-t46224.html

Props, I'll check the link :tu
    RXMasked wrote: »
    IMO: Chino XL, Big L, Lord Finesse are the best when it comes to punchlines.

Chino XL is one the most underrated lyricist we have in hip hop.

Yeah, you could always tell he was a great lyricist from the times I've checked for him in the past... I'm generally into more mellow hip hop though...
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I've listened to half of Poison Pen, but I wasn't impressed, I'll check that album 'Here to Save You All'. Props on the recommendation, I do like him as an emcee and the above tracks I posted, I do really like... he's similar to RA the Rugged Man though in the sense that they've never made me want to check the solo album with the exception of some tracks I've caught wind of from their solo collection.

u haven't heard here to save you all??????? You haven't really heard chino till u hear that album its a personal classic to me dude should've blown up
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    u haven't heard here to save you all??????? You haven't really heard chino till u hear that album its a personal classic to me dude should've blown up

No, I know!! haha seems like an album I should have come across.

I've got it now though, so I'll take a listen later :tu

Props on posting :tu
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    haha I agree, my favourite track is Skin... he had a lot of 'beef' with Eminem though, right?

I'll edit your post to include links to those tracks :tu

Any recommendations on albums to check from him? I only have him on features and some singles from his albums...

No beef just alot of fans of his and underground heads sayng Em took his style... He came close to Singing to Shady/Aftermath around the time Posion Pen dropped in 2006 but signed with Machette Music/Universal Records instead. Ricanstruction is set for an August Relase Date via his twitter.
  • nujerz84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    The one album I cant find is I Told You So its almost outta print it came out in 2000 I believe he also did a Collab album with some wack dude name Playatical or some ? from Denver called SOmething Sacred.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    No beef just alot of fans of his and underground heads sayng Em took his style... He came close to Singing to Shady/Aftermath around the time Posion Pen dropped in 2006 but signed with Machette Music/Universal Records instead. Ricanstruction is set for an August Relase Date via his twitter.

Ahh okay, props on the info. Yeah, I think I'll end up really anticipating that release now given how good this Here To Save You All is supposed to be :tu

Probably a good thing he never signed with them as well, I'd never sign to a major really, such ? they have to go through and not to mention how much they mess with their sound. Although I bet he would have had better beats.
  • chillg
    chillg Members Posts: 569
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Still got here to save you all on cassette got it in 97 Chino a beast.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

did you hear wordsmith? the song on poison pen? its like the best lyricism ever imo. that rugged man comparison is on point i never thought of it before but yea they styles are hella similar
  • nujerz84
    edited June 2011
    Options

This off Posion Pen IMO perhaps one of most lyrical records in a long time... the whole song is a quoteable....Chino is too ill
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^nunca is actually off i told you so but they decided to put it on poison pen as well....no complaints here lol
  • stevenjx712
    stevenjx712 Members Posts: 37
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Chino XL is one of my favourite rappers at the moment

I like Cant Change Me, What Am I?, Skin, Wordsmith, Riiot!, Kreep
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Chino XL is one of my favourite rappers at the moment

I like Cant Change Me, What Am I?, Skin, Wordsmith, Riiot!, Kreep

Nice track, good drop :tu
  • FrankOceanIsGay
    FrankOceanIsGay Members Posts: 402
    edited June 2011
    Options
    man i knew here to save u all word for word back in 95 or whenever it came out... poison pen was pure genius in my opinion.... chino's flow finally started to fall in place.... he does lose one point for bouncing from jersey tho....u couldn't get signed if u had a white cast on your leg... yea he owned that track too....
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Finally... hiphop I can relate to.

The song that really put me on to Chino XL was this underground classic:
  • LWIL2
    LWIL2 Members Posts: 14
    edited June 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

This off Posion Pen IMO perhaps one of most lyrical records in a long time... the whole song is a quoteable....Chino is too ill

Sick forreal forgot about yo