2pac's Beef With De La Soul Explained

Options
thesynthesis
thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Reason
2pac felt De La Soul dissed him in 1993's video “Ego Tripping” , in which Pac felt they were dissin his image from " I Get Around" (the rapper looks like pac and certain scenes were obviously lifted from the video) and a few lines seemed suspect such as "Tired of the Merry Go Round and Round"...this song was dissing certain rappers and there ego's.

Being the real ? Pac was, he got in contact with De La Soul and confronted them about the video and told them he had love for them and asked them why they were dissing him. They told him it wasnt directed at him and he said ight and everything was cool

Pac later shouted them out on his 1995 album MATW on "Nothin Like The Ol Skool

De La then got into a beef with Treach (Naughty By Nature) and put out a song called "Stakes Is High" (1996), which he felt was basically dissing him and everyone who was gettin buzz at the time and also the fact they were beefing with his mans and dem, he went at them.

Treach later supposedly beat up Pos at a concert because he felt they dissed him by using his line in the song

Comments

• thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Dave: From what we hear and what we know, even after having the opportunity to speak to one of Tupac’s sisters — Pac thought we were dissing him in the “Ego Trippin’” video. He thought the guy that was in the hot tub and bald headed, he thought we were spoofing him. We had love for Pac, man. That’s family. For us in the Hip-Hop world, he was one of the realest dudes out there. He wasn’t afraid of bearing his soul. Pac was so fearless it was inspirational. You know, it was something that he misconstrued, it was something that he thought, and it was all wrong. We never got a chance to vocalize it between each other but, even through his family, his blood, we’ve heard that Pac loved De La. He just felt like we dissed him. And if you love somebody that much and you think they diss you, I understand how you might take it personally. But we’ve got love for Pac. That’s straight love.

Pos: Basically, we had did “Ego Tripping” the video [in 1993]. Pac had reached out to us because he thought we were dissing him because he thought that the video kind of mirrored “I Get Around”. He thought we were showing him in the mansion but then we were saying it wasn’t his mansion. Pac reached out like “yo, I love y’all. I love y’all so why are ya’ll dissing me?”. And I reached back to him like “dawg, we’re definitely not dissing you. We’re being clowns making fun of how certain people take the **** a little too serious” and he was like “aight, cool” [when] he reached back. But then I guess around the time when we put Stakes Is High out, and then all that nonsense happened between me and Treach [from Naughty By Nature] and all that other ****, Pac and Treach were [tight]. And the only reason I know the background behind this is because, maybe two years ago, I ran into Pac’s sister and she let us know that “yo, he loved y’all. He was just hurt when he thought maybe y’all dissed him”. And then how, with Stakes Is High, we came out doing what we was doing, he felt like, with his boys, like “yo, this is what I need to say”. But [Pac’s sister] was like “I want y’all to know, he loved y’all”. And I feel that. I feel like a lot of times [for example] when [MC] Shan and KRS-One beef, I don’t think people really hate each other. That’s definitely how it was for us. We loved Pac. We’ve loved so many groups. We’ve never tried to be a part of anything negative.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Thanks for this. I knew part of the story but not the part where Pos had a little beef with Treach. Was just at HMV and was considering picking up Stakes is High on CD (still got in on tape) and passed on it until next paycheck.
  • thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    no doubt,,,,

well De La said Treach misunderstood the line, but NBN took it as a diss, it was a industry diss

De La were funny like that, they'd say ? then retract it, Treach however shouldnt have beat Pos up, them ? aint about throwing hands
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I perfer that fists were thrown then little ? from Treach crew looking for a come up blasting or cutting
  • monolithicpaw
    monolithicpaw Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Nice drop, I got love for all involved. "stakes is high" is one of the most slept on bangers ever!
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    no doubt,,,,

well De La said Treach misunderstood the line, but NBN took it as a diss, it was a industry diss

De La were funny like that, they'd say ? then retract it, Treach however shouldnt have beat Pos up, them ? aint about throwing hands

Damn, never knew Treach got at Pos physically.

I think there was an interview where De La Soul voiced their opinion on Pac idssing BIG and other east coast rappers. I heard that's also why Pac dissed them on "Against All Odds"
  • thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    c.b.b. wrote: »
    Damn, never knew Treach got at Pos physically.

I think there was an interview where De La Soul voiced their opinion on Pac idssing BIG and other east coast rappers. I heard that's also why Pac dissed them on "Against All Odds"

Naw fam there was no interview

De La got at Pac twice, the first time in 93, they were obviously dissin Pac in the video, but he played the bigger man and let it slide, after he confronted them.

Then 96 they dropped "Stakes Is High" at this time Pac was the biggest rapper on the planet, so he took that ? personally, a few lines were directed at him and other rappers, even Biggy. Also Treach wasnt to happy they referenced him and took it as a diss, so Pac was riding on them for a number of reasons....Treach caught up with De La at a show and basically beat POS up, however you dont get points for that cuz them ? is geeks lol.

De La wre just jumping on the "lets diss commercial" rap bandwagon which was kickin at the time, same with the Fugees.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

De La got at Pac twice, the first time in 93, they were obviously dissin Pac in the video, but he played the bigger man and let it slide, after he confronted them.

Then 96 they dropped "Stakes Is High" at this time Pac was the biggest rapper on the planet, so he took that ? personally, a few lines were directed at him and other rappers, even Biggy. Also Treach wasnt to happy they referenced him and took it as a diss, so Pac was riding on them for a number of reasons....Treach caught up with De La at a show and basically beat POS up, however you dont get points for that cuz them ? is geeks lol.

De La wre just jumping on the "lets diss commercial" rap bandwagon which was kickin at the time, same with the Fugees.

damn i sure miss those days
  • thesynthesis
    edited June 2011
    Options
    and the thing with Pac he was genuinely a De La Soul fan, he had been on tours with them and shouted them out in 95, even after "Ego Trippin" diss video

obviously De La dont want to admit they dissed him, i wish they would just come out and say it, like Nas did with Success...but ? scared of the backlash they will get especially after what Treach did to Pos

anyways they say they undertand why Pac might of dissed them and chopped it up with his sister, so all is good

but i was just lettin ? know the background of the story, which is kind of long
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

I'm pretty sure they voiced their opinion in an interview too, but maybe that was another artist/group
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    So i suppose when Pac said "? looking Larry Holmes, flabby and sick/ wanna playa hate on my ? , to eat a fat ? " on Against All Odds, he was talking about De La?...i been wondering for a while who that was aimed toward, because i always assumed it was directed towards LL
  • blackstarr
    blackstarr Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Naw that larry holmes line was aimed at De La....You can hear Pac ad libbing their name (look at de la soul)
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just For The ? Of It

De La's Catalogue>>>> 2pac's, Naughty By Natures
  • blackstarr
    blackstarr Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Dear Mama >>>> De La's Catalogue
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Native Tongues FTW
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yeah Pac had beef with a lot of folks who were/are important to hip hop....anyway.........props to de la & happy Pac season.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just For The ? Of It

Cracks Wack I thought you knew now put down the Pipe before your next post...
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited June 2011
    Options
    lol@ fazeem
    and the thing with Pac he was genuinely a De La Soul fan, he had been on tours with them and shouted them out in 95, even after "Ego Trippin" diss video

obviously De La dont want to admit they dissed him, i wish they would just come out and say it, like Nas did with Success...but ? scared of the backlash they will get especially after what Treach did to Pos

anyways they say they undertand why Pac might of dissed them and chopped it up with his sister, so all is good

but i was just lettin ? know the background of the story, which is kind of long

thatz koward ? ..
    yeah Pac had beef with a lot of folks who were/are important to hip hop....anyway.........props to de la & happy Pac season.

name namez & dont say BIGGIE,.,.,.plus tupac had a legit reason 2 diss everybody he spoke ill on,.,.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just For The ? Of It

I can ride with this
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hail mary...........
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    As always Pac ? ass was taking everything aimed at him.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    pos and dave>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Adam magus
    Adam magus Members Posts: 1
    Options
    All you guys posting on here are full of ? . UNLIKE YOU GUYS de la actually spoke to pac and his family. Any situation was squashed. You folks on here are too young to even understand the impact de la soul had on music as a whole and thats why pac LOVED de la. They didnt retract ? . The way you guys talk about pac is embarrasing... Im sure he would have thought you people are idiots.
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im sure ive seen that vid and if it is the one im thinkin they liars and know damn well they wer dissin pac hard.