Am I The Only One Who Been Sleepin On this Dude??

Options
SunflowaSeeds
SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in The Essence

I just downloaded the CD that contains these 3 tracks. After listening to the Cd like twice I can already tell he's about to move up my list of fav artists with the quickness.

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    One of my favourite emcee's really, his work as one half of Binary Star on Masters of the Universe was ridiculous...

I got Sonogram as well which is really nice as well, highly rated in the underground. But I'd recommend picking up Masters of the Universe if you like it as it's one of my favourite albums.

Lyricism on that album was incredible and the beats are nice as well, one of those discs that will make you rap along in public... or maybe that's just me lol.

Great drop though and to anyone who has any of the other releases, I'd be interested in hearing some of your favourite cuts :tu
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yeea sonogram and masters of the universe are 2 of the illest albums out there. ive been meaning to go thru my c.ds at my parents hows to listen to these. mos def classics
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    yeea sonogram and masters of the universe are 2 of the illest albums out there. ive been meaning to go thru my c.ds at my parents hows to listen to these. mos def classics

Definitely, get diggin'!
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yh Binary Star - Masters of the Universe put me on. Funny I felt Senim Silla had the slight upper hand lyrically on that, yet One Be Lo got the better solo catalogue.
    They remind me of smaller scale version of Talib n Mos
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    yh Binary Star - Masters of the Universe put me on. Funny I felt Senim Silla had the slight upper hand lyrically on that, yet One Be Lo got the better solo catalogue.
    They remind me of smaller scale version of Talib n Mos

At times, I think they surpass Mos and Talib, especially on tracks like Reality Check... good comparison though.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    one man army.....mad ppl sleepin on him S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M is one of the best releases of the past decade

all of his solo work is worth checkin out and obviously masters of the universe is a certified classic amongst the underground

im glad ppl know about dude he's in my top 10 for sure
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ayo Ruff Draft name some other underground dudes I'd like if I like One Be Lo.
    Considering I was sleeping on him, I have a feeling that might be the case for others.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Look up Decompoze sunflowa. he is a producer/rapper that does work with One Be Lo
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Look up Decompoze sunflowa. he is a producer/rapper that does work with One Be Lo

Yeah I heard him spitting on one track on S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
    Any specific album I should DL?
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ayo Ruff Draft name some other underground dudes I'd like if I like One Be Lo.
    Considering I was sleeping on him, I have a feeling that might be the case for others.

If you like One.Be.Lo, you'd probably like a hell of a lot of underground artists, who else you into besides him?

I could recommend Wu Syndicate's album as they're a duo like Binary Star (You have to get Masters of the Universe first).

I'll think about some others...
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I like a variety: Blu, MF Doom, Skyzoo, Little Brother, Elzhi, Clipse, Sean Price, Jedi Mind Tricks, Black Thought, Pharoahe Monche etc.
    I listen to a lot of older stuff too of course. Wu-Tang is my favorite group of all time, Ghostface favorite artist.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    By the way, Masters of the Universe is what I'm going to listen to after Pete Rock & Smif N Wessun- Monumental.
  • iphucq
    iphucq Members Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options

I just downloaded the CD that contains these 3 tracks. After listening to the Cd like twice I can already tell he's about to move up my list of fav artists with the quickness.
    where did u download it?
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Just google "One Be Lo S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. Mediafire"

Are we not supposed to say that here? lol
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I like a variety: Blu, MF Doom, Skyzoo, Little Brother, Elzhi, Clipse, Sean Price, Jedi Mind Tricks, Black Thought, Pharoahe Monche etc.
    I listen to a lot of older stuff too of course. Wu-Tang is my favorite group of all time, Ghostface favorite artist.

I presume you've listened to Wu Syndicate then?

Nice list of artists... it's a varied list but generally NY based or influenced in terms of lyricism.

I'd say because you like Blu, you should check out Fashawn and Kendrick Lamar. Fashawn's Boy Meets World was my favourite album of 2009, whilst Kendrick Lamar's self titled EP of the same year was the best EP.

As for Little Brother, I always put the CunninLynguists above them in every way. I assume you've checked for them though?

As for a more hard-hitting emcee, I'd suggest:

Akrobatik's Balance
    Aesop Rock's Labor Days/Daylight EP
    Bronze Nazareth's Great Migration
    CYNE's Evolution Fight
    P.O.S' Audition & Never Better
    Prolific and Re-Animator's - Ugly Truth
    Y Society - Travel at your own Pace.

Just the one's that I think you may like, here's some YouTube's of my fave track from each album:

and
  • SunflowaSeeds
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Damn great post :tu
    I haven't checked for Wu-Syndicate for some reason, I will though.
    Yes I'm a Cuninlynguist fan, forgot to add them. Piece of strange is one of my fav albums.
    I'll listen to all the youtubes you posted and check the albums too, thanks bruh.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    By the way, Masters of the Universe is what I'm going to listen to after Pete Rock & Smif N Wessun- Monumental.

You'll be impressed, just enjoy it for what it is though as I always find listening to a CD I hear that's overhyped is a disappointment. Just make sure you check it out :tu
    Just google "One Be Lo S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. Mediafire"

Are we not supposed to say that here? lol

It's okay to say it, not to post links. It's available over at UGHH though for like $10.
    Damn great post :tu
    I haven't checked for Wu-Syndicate for some reason, I will though.
    Yes I'm a Cuninlynguist fan, forgot to add them. Piece of strange is one of my fav albums.
    I'll listen to all the youtubes you posted and check the albums too, thanks bruh.

Yeah, you should. They're a disappointment as they had a lot of potential on that album and reached it in many ways, but they had complications with their relationship and I think one of them was sent to prison as well.

Dope, yeah, APOS is a great disc. No problem, I'd recommend Evolution Fight by CYNE the most out of all of them though :tu
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Check out Extended F@mm aswell! the supergroup from QN5.

PackFM - I ? Hate Rappers

Soul Khan - Soul Like Khan

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

Danger Mouse and Jemini - Ghetto Pop Theory
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Check out Extended F@mm aswell! the supergroup from QN5.

PackFM - I ? Hate Rappers

Soul Khan - Soul Like Khan

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

Danger Mouse and Jemini - Ghetto Pop Theory

Seconded, I was tempted to include this in my list, but I ended up leaving it off, but it's definitely similar and Danger Mouse's production is unreal on that album. Anthems.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yeah I heard him spitting on one track on S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
    Any specific album I should DL?

vza7u8.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Decomposition-Decompoze/dp/B000I0QKZ6
    http://img.youtube.com/vi/hFoivXi8YHM/default.jpg?h=60&w=80&sigh=__DcNK9TwqsJaH1ABwhlVvDLB2J1o=

one of the better producer/MCs out there,
    even if like most of his crew, he is highly slept on
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have this ill One Be Lo mix CD I received as a bonus from when i first copped PROJECT F.E.T.U.S (another dope CD by him also) from UndgergoundHipHop.com

? had mad rare and unreleased tracks & remixes.

Illest no doubt was the remix to "Why Doe The Caged Bird Sang"

I'll try to upload it tonight when I get off work
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Seconded, I was tempted to include this in my list, but I ended up leaving it off, but it's definitely similar and Danger Mouse's production is unreal on that album. Anthems.

Ah man glad to see someone else knows of that album. Its crazy how big Danger Mouse got but this album always got over looked. Do you know anything recent Jemini has done Ruff?
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    I have this ill One Be Lo mix CD I received as a bonus from when i first copped PROJECT F.E.T.U.S (another dope CD by him also) from UndgergoundHipHop.com

? had mad rare and unreleased tracks & remixes.

Illest no doubt was the remix to "Why Doe The Caged Bird Sang"

I'll try to upload it tonight when I get off work

Props, as it's a mix, I'm sure that would mean it's a mixtape? And if so, it can be posted :tu

Look forward to that remix too :tu
    Ah man glad to see someone else knows of that album. Its crazy how big Danger Mouse got but this album always got over looked. Do you know anything recent Jemini has done Ruff?

To be honest, I never really checked for him like that afterwards, they were supposed to follow the album up with '? Your Heroes' but that was years ago! So he may have fell under the radar, which is a shame because he's a skilled emcee.

I did get DangerDoom album as well I think after getting Ghetto Pop Life... wasn't as good to me though. Jemini was on par, IMO, with his production, which is a massive compliment to him. So I felt like he was missing.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited June 2011
    Options
    agree. the DangerDoom album i think was mainly just promotion for adult swim, as they released the occult hymn ep on the site for free. The only song i really liked on mouse and the mask was Crosshairs. also that song with Ghostface. Jemini was dope tho i hope to see him pop up somewhere.