So the Texans are moving to a 3-4

young law
young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Is Mario Williams gonna play OLB or is he gonna become a 3-4 DE???

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    most likely OLB

he gonna put up D-ware numbers
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Yep, basically. Thats why i dont want this lockout to go on forever. He needs a training camp and all the PreSeason games he can get to acclimate to the position.

Our defense cant be HISTORICALLY bad again. WATCHOUT Mfers.

We still need a safety though.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    young law wrote: »
    Is Mario Williams gonna play OLB or is he gonna become a 3-4 DE???

Ya, OLB. But I think the coach or D-coordinator came out and said he'll basically b playin like a DE. He'll rarely if ever drop into coverage.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    He'd only be an OLB by name. He'll still rush almost every play, same as he does now - it just might be from an upright position and a yard or two off the line.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    Yep, basically. Thats why i dont want this lockout to go on forever. He needs a training camp and all the PreSeason games he can get to acclimate to the position.

Our defense cant be HISTORICALLY bad again. WATCHOUT Mfers.

We still need a safety though.

A Corner too...but I c/s
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    I think they are really ? up. Mario Williams just point blank isn't a fit for the 3-4. Yes he can play DE but in a 3-4 that would be a waste of his talents. In a 3-4 a DE is their to set the edge and take up blockers so the OLB and MLB can make the plays. They don't create a pass rush and don't get many sacks. That's why Peppers said he didn't want to play in a 3-4. And Mario is too dam big to be rushing from the outside from a 2 point stance. No training camp hurts a lot b/c he really needed that time to get ready. dude is a beast so maybe he can get it done but they are taking him away from his strongest asset.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    thought this was about their 2011 record through 7 games
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    matt- wrote: »
    thought this was about their 2011 record through 7 games

eFswn.gif

• young law
    edited June 2011
    Wade Phillips, the Texans’ new defensive coordinator and a staunch 3-4 proponent, wants to turn Williams into, well, perhaps the largest linebacker in NFL history. He’s planning to move the 6-6, 290-pound Williams to weakside ’backer in Houston’s new 3-4 defense.

What does Mario, still a few hours short of his Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management degree, think of Phillips’ plan?

“Whatever it takes to win,” he said. “That’s all that matters.”

Switching to a 3-4 will have a domino effect on the Texans. Other players who will make position changes include DeMeco Ryans, from middle linebacker to weak inside linebacker; Brian Cushing, from strong outside linebacker to strong inside linebacker; Connor Barwin, from left defensive end to strong outside linebacker; Antonio Smith, from left defensive tackle to right end; and Earl Mitchell, from backup end to nose tackle.

The big move, of course, involves Williams, who last played linebacker at Richlands High. Williams said his average playing weight last season was around 285. Though he acknowledges he’ll need to drop a few pounds, don’t look for him to turn into the incredible shrinking man.

“I’m not going down to 260 or something like that,” he said. “I haven’t weighed that since I was in high school, so there’s no way I’m getting down to that. It’s not necessarily about losing a lot of weight. It’s about me getting my body in the best condition it’s ever been in.”

Although most people would look at the Texans’ new defense as a 3-4, Phillips thinks of it as a 5-2, with five defensive linemen who can rush the passer—the two outside players in standup positions—and two inside linebackers whose primary role is to make tackles.

Asked how much concern he has about dropping Williams into coverage, Phillips replied, “None.”

“We’re not going to drop him,” Phillips told the Texans’ website recently at the team’s annual charity golf tournament. “We’re going to rush him. That’s why I say we’re more of a 5-2, in that those five guys are coming a lot of the time, especially the position Mario plays.

“We put (him) in the premier position. You’re rushing the passer more at WILL (weakside linebacker), and so that’s where we put him. We were looking in the draft for the best pass rusher. Well, we had him on our team, and so we just moved him to that position rather than going the other way around.”

There was some talk last season of Williams playing more of a standup position. Now that he’s making the switch to linebacker, he said, “I’m excited about it.”

Sounds like Williams can’t wait for class to begin, so he can introduce himself as a real standup guy.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-05-11/texans-mario-williams-becomes-nfls-largest-linebacker#ixzz1QiasXw4L
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    The way their secondary looked last year, it don't matter what defense they change to..? was awful..we lit they ass up lmao!
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    he's saying he's NOT going down in weight but he'll realize he'll pretty much have to, i do think the guy would make a pretty damn good OLB , but to automatically say you're not gonna do something isn't gonna help your progress....

he will have to trim weight...
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    he's saying he's NOT going down in weight but he'll realize he'll pretty much have to, i do think the guy would make a pretty damn good OLB , but to automatically say you're not gonna do something isn't gonna help your progress....

he will have to trim weight...

At his height he probably wont have to trim down too too much. If he wont be dropping into coverage where he'll have to chase down RBs and TEs, he should be able to stay 275-285 and still be effective as a rush OLB
  • young law
    edited June 2011
    i think they're gonna move him around. he wont jus be on the right side. because to have him on the weak side jus to blitz on every down is no different than have a 4-3.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    I can see why the Texans switched to a 3-4 defense. Seeing how ? their secondary was. Their dismal performance caused the texans to place last against the past defense. A 3-4 scheme can mask a poor secondary by bringing pressure with unique and exotic blitzes. The problem is who's going to play the disruptive nt position? Which covers gaps and gives an interior presence. Their first round pick jj watt? Free angency going to open up soon so will they grab someone like Shaun smith? Haloti ngata? They're in our division and are also our rivals. So if they never come close to figuring it out that's fine by me :)
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    damn this will make it really easier for peyton now
  • HustleThaDon
    edited June 2011
    damn this will make it really easier for peyton now

Why? He's had problems with 3-4's in the past....
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what took Houston so long to ? with the 3-4. I could've swore they ran it before Kubiak tho. Maybe I'm wrong. But 3-4 is the much better defense for multiple DB's and pass defense.

But Houston gon' need more than a formation change to stop Peyton. And 4-3 to 3-4 is MUCH more difficult than vice versa. Word to Wade Phillips' years in Atlanta.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    He will end up being a 3-4 end, not a lb. trust me.
    In passing situations, they will play nickel, with Mario as a traditional outside end.
  • oldhead77
    oldhead77 Members Posts: 862 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Wade's Defensive packages include if I'm not mistaken a hybrid 4-3/3-4 on some plays depending on the situation.

Mario Williams will take the role (more than likely) like Jason Taylor did with the hybrid Defense the year he won Defensive Player of the Year (my guess)
  • vageneral08
    edited July 2011

yeah with zone coverage....knowing the texans they'll probably do man coverage more besides peyton knows all the defenses which in this case will be a piece of cake especially with that ? up secondary
  • HustleThaDon
    edited July 2011
    yeah with zone coverage....knowing the texans they'll probably do man coverage more besides peyton knows all the defenses which in this case will be a piece of cake especially with that ? up secondary

The same ? up secondary that beat y'all last year?
  • vageneral08
    edited July 2011
    The same ? up secondary that beat y'all last year?

it was the run remember.....besides ya'll are 2-16 against us lol