Lets be honest, Nas>>>Rakim

Mvpbrodie93
Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Face Off Forum
I know Rakim Was the GOAT and still is the most influential emcee off all time, its time to admit nas is just better.

Hes better lyrically,WAY more diverse and better subject matter, better storyteller and has a FAR superior catalogue

Nas the new GOAT

Comments

• Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    Ra's Catalogue outside of his work with Eric B is average
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    Illmatic/IWW/Lost Tapes/Stillmatic hell, even Gods Son>>>>>>
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Lets be honest, Nas>>>every other Rapper dead or alive
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    On a side note, although i think Paid in Full is the most influential album, i think Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em is their BEST album

And yeah, Nas>>Rakim
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    -Vincenzo- wrote: »

That too...........
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Nas has more material. And is still putting out more.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    i'd have to have listened to rakim to really give an honest opinion but since i didn't i cant call it. i'm sure some ol heads would shoot that down tho
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    Let's be honest rakim's content is limited, he never had a track that brought out emotion in the listener like a one love or a purple
  • Igot5onit
    Igot5onit Members Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011

• Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    LMAO @ New GOAT
    Nas been Goat for a min

Your avi is the GOAT
  • thecomebacklegend
    thecomebacklegend Members Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011

? outta here

he only have 3 hits out of 9 albums
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    edited June 2011
    I like Nas but there are others dead or alive I'd put with him (BIG Cube Scarface Jeru Ghost Redman in their primes, Ra KRS Kane G Rap Slick Rick). Nas, like Jay, outlasted his comp so he seems greater than he is. But I guess if you mean in the sense of how Mike Jordan got his style from Dr J and surpassed him, maybe he surpasses Ra on that level. But what I think people forget is it takes more skill (to me) to invent something out of thin air than to take what somebody invented and run with it. So Rakim>Nas like Stevie Wonder> today's R&B singers
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited June 2011
    Yeah but Nas is better lyrically then rakim EVER was and his catalogue Puts Ra to shame

I like Nas but there are others dead or alive I'd put with him (BIG Cube Scarface Jeru Ghost Redman in their primes, Ra KRS Kane G Rap Slick Rick). Nas, like Jay, outlasted his comp so he seems greater than he is. But I guess if you mean in the sense of how Mike Jordan got his style from Dr J and surpassed him, maybe he surpasses Ra on that level. But what I think people forget is it takes more skill (to me) to invent something out of thin air than to take what somebody invented and run with it. So Rakim>Nas like Stevie Wonder> today's R&B singers
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    i agree with Nas being better
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    he surpassed rakim years ago.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    jamacia wrote: »
    he surpassed rakim years ago.

This........
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    edited June 2011
    Even if he surpassed him it doesn't make him the Goat. The Goat are the ones who figures the advanced s**it out by themselves, not their sons. Ra got 4 classics (Paid in Full through Dont Sweat The Technique). Illmatic and Stillmatic are Nas' best records imo. Ra aint try to sound like nobody. IWW sound like trying to be BIG. them other joints til Stillmatic show him trying to figure out who he is (Was he Jay, BIG, or nasty Nas?), He's lyrical for sure but had a lot more to work with than Ra did. Big leap from RUN DMC to Ra. Small leap from G Rap/Rakim/KRS/Redman to Nas. If ya'll crownin him go ahead but no one out here saying Chino XL or Ras Kass the greatest....lyricism is important but so is flow and other factors (creativity, pioneering, voice etc). Ra aint even my favorite dude but what he did for rap Nas hasn't.
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    IWW sound like trying to be BIG. them other joints til Stillmatic show him trying to figure out who he is (Was he Jay, BIG, or nasty Nas?)

Huh?? This right here is bogus to the fullest. So nas is suppose to stay in the illmatic lane forever??? Ok then why dont u blast Jay-z then for changing his rap style?? Remember fu-schnickens?? So I guess Jay-z was trying to be big and nas then too right?? Look at nas's whole body of work, the dude is human and he's just relating it through his music unlike most of these supeficial rappers out now today. I find it comical when someone says Nas has no identity. Then u might as well say tupac because he's without a doubt the king of personas.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    nas surpassed rakim in 1994 lol