how do i incorporate push ups in my regular work out, and is it necessary

needmorecash
needmorecash Members Posts: 253
edited July 2011 in The Weight Room
novice in this weight lifting game. . .right now i work out basically 3 times a week with a rest inbetween days.

my concerns

on a monday i may do chest/biceps/abs .. . then i wont do them again until next week .

is once a week enough to hit chest or biceps? to see results

the next thing is should i or how do i incorperate push ups in my routine. . how many days a week or should i do push ups

right after i hit the bench or on days where i dont bench?

if you doing db inclines, db flat bench, a crossover and decline . .would doing push ups be over ? ?

Comments

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    That's all I do is push-ups. Push ups are a underestimated work out routine
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    That's all I do is push-ups. Push ups are a underestimated work out routine

real ? ^^^^........

t/s it depends on what your fitness goals are

if you just trying to lose weight, push-ups may actually be better for you than weight lifting
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Lifting 3 days wil probably be enough to see results but you should be doing a lot in those 3 days. I don't powerlift anymore, but it was for me when I did.

Only time I really do push ups is if I'm doing a Cross Fit workout or after a run, but they are a good exercise and throwing some in here and there can't hurt.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    You can do pushups everyday if you chose to ? i do like 100 with some chins/dips and crunches
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    if u lift weights on your chest days u should max out on push ups at the end...if u can do pushups the next day like its nothin u aint going hard enough in the gym
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    I do push-ups like it's nothing, even on days I'm not lifting.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    eddie2time wrote: »
    novice in this weight lifting game. . .right now i work out basically 3 times a week with a rest inbetween days.

my concerns

on a monday i may do chest/biceps/abs .. . then i wont do them again until next week .

is once a week enough to hit chest or biceps? to see results

the next thing is should i or how do i incorperate push ups in my routine. . how many days a week or should i do push ups

right after i hit the bench or on days where i dont bench?

if you doing db inclines, db flat bench, a crossover and decline . .would doing push ups be over ? ?

According to what I've read, you should do strength building/anaerobic exercise (whether it's lifting weights, push-ups/crunches/squats, whatever) at least twice a week but it's important to wait at least 48 hours between sessions, the muscle needs time to heal. You should do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 times a week, ideally 7. If you're trying to lose weight, it should be 60-90 minutes but no more.
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    If you bench then you really shouldn't need to push up.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    The Jackal wrote: »
    If you bench then you really shouldn't need to push up.

naw, not necessarily true...once you plateau on your max pushing yourself on push ups can help you reach that next level..the same with all calisthenics to tell the truth..i beast on back machines because Ive always done and still do a lot of pulls ups.
  • The Jackal
    edited June 2011
    naw, not necessarily true...once you plateau on your max pushing yourself on push ups can help you reach that next level..the same with all calisthenics to tell the truth..i beast on back machines because Ive always done and still do a lot of pulls ups.

True but I would say that weighted dips are superior then pushup when it comes to chest excise. Pushups are ? easy only thing you even have to look out for is endurance
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited June 2011
    Push ups are actually quite necessary if you want to spare yourself many shoulder issues.

Being a closed-chain exercise, a push up is very different from bench pressing, even though they look similar, but inverted.

What the Jackal said would actually be the worst advice. If you bench press, you MUST do push-ups in order to balance out the open-chain nature of doing bench work. A routine of nothing but open-chain exercises is a great way to give yourself problems down the road.
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited June 2011
    Sh0t wrote: »
    Push ups are actually quite necessary if you want to spare yourself many shoulder issues.

Being a closed-chain exercise, a push up is very different from bench pressing, even though they look similar, but inverted.

What the Jackal said would actually be the worst advice. If you bench press, you MUST do push-ups in order to balance out the open-chain nature of doing bench work. A routine of nothing but open-chain exercises is a great way to give yourself problems down the road.

run that by me again. . . in order to balance out the open - chain nature of doing bench work?
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Im in the military so push ups are an essential part of any routine imo. I do 3 sets of pushups every day im in the gym, usually to cap off my workout.

The big 3 of building upper body strength are the bench press, push ups and pull ups so if thats your goal, you need to be knocking them out.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Im in the military so push ups are an essential part of any routine imo. I do 3 sets of pushups every day im in the gym, usually to cap off my workout.

The big 3 of building upper body strength are the bench press, push ups and pull ups so if thats your goal, you need to be knocking them out.

how many reps of pull ups and pushups do you do
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    I haven't been in a gym in at least 9 months, but I work out at home. I use the Perfect Push Up. At the gym I used to do a set on the bench press or on the chest press machine and immediately jump to the floor and burn out doing as many pushups I could do after the heavy weight set.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    I haven't been in a gym in at least 9 months, but I work out at home. I use the Perfect Push Up. At the gym I used to do a set on the bench press or on the chest press machine and immediately jump to the floor and burn out doing as many pushups I could do after the heavy weight set.
    I got them ? ;s too. I use them various ways to do push-ups, my fave is to put one by my waist and the other one extended a little past my shoulders, that ? is kind of brutal.
    I also got one of those old tubs in the crib, the one with the animal feet at the bottom that sits real high, I do incline push-ups from the hip on there and also inclosed shoulder push ups
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    how many reps of pull ups and pushups do you do

I follow this chest workout here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-chest-training-guide.htm

So I do only about 3 really fast sets of 12-15 pushups to cap off my chest routine.

The other routine I follow is a Met-Rx 90 day plan. Im on the beginner phase for pullups and they ask you do 3 sets of 15, 12, and 10 medium width overhand pull ups (isolating the back muscles) WHICH I CANNOT DO :( So i jus try to do as many as possible (which is usually like 3-4 cuz it follows the bent over barbell row which is murder on your back).

My tricep underhand pullup game is pretty average tho like 10 per set.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited June 2011
    eddie2time wrote: »
    run that by me again. . . in order to balance out the open - chain nature of doing bench work?

The bench press is an open-chain movement: your body is fixed, your arms move. The push-up is closed chain: your hands are fixed, your body is moving. While the movements look similar, the stabilization effect on the body, especially the shoulder is very , very different. It's analogous to the difference between pull-ups versus weighted pull-downs. Closed-chain movements require a lot more from lesser muscles of the body, especially for upperbody movements. The serratus, and many smaller muscles of the shoulder girdle are strengthened much more(and in different firing orders) in movements like pullups, dips, etc than they are with open chain movements like bench presses, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_kinetic_chain_exercises

Doing both is optimum, but typically, people favor open-chain movements and neglect to do closed chain movements. People will flock to bench presses and leg presses and ignore dips, weighted pushups, and squats, etc.

To comment on what Kinves Amili said, my big three of upperbody strength would be pullups, overhead presses, dips, if you had to choose just three.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    The bench press is an open-chain movement: your body is fixed, your arms move. The push-up is closed chain: your hands are fixed, your body is moving. While the movements look similar, the stabilization effect on the body, especially the shoulder is very , very different. It's analogous to the difference between pull-ups versus weighted pull-downs. Closed-chain movements require a lot more from lesser muscles of the body, especially for upperbody movements. The serratus, and many smaller muscles of the shoulder girdle are strengthened much more(and in different firing orders) in movements like pullups, dips, etc than they are with open chain movements like bench presses, etc.

Doing both is optimum, but typically, people favor open-chain movements and neglect to do closed chain movements. People will flock to bench presses and leg presses and ignore dips, weighted pushups, and squats, etc.

To comment on what Kinves Amili said, my big three of upperbody strength would be pullups, overhead presses, dips, if you had to choose just three.

*Noted*
    {}{}{}{}{}
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited June 2011
    do push ups everyday and 3 days a week ain't that good, unless your really pushing your self i would recommend mon-sat just mix it up.
  • The Jackal
    edited June 2011
    As for what shot said that is what i meant do weighted dips push ups will become to easy for anyone is in any decent shape. As far as shoulder stabilizers yes bench press won't really helpyou with that thought I would throw in the military press standing of course. Not only is it good for the shoulders and triceps it gives the core a good workout as while.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited June 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_kinetic_chain_exercises

Wow, good info.
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    real ? ^^^^........

t/s it depends on what your fitness goals are

if you just trying to lose weight, push-ups may actually be better for you than weight lifting

how many should u do a day if u tryna bulk up?