Headphone Question

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Essence
Hey guys i wasnt sure where to put this thread so i figured id ask yall haha, I need a pair of good headphones. ive been rocking the skull candies and JVC Gummy headphones for along time, partly because they are the cheapest but they sound good as well. Since they are the cheapest ive also experienced them breaking on me all the time. One headphone will go out within a few months, is there a set of headphones that you guys could recommend to me that dont break on you all the time and sound good? I prefer the Ear bud style of headphones because my job finds it unprofessional if i have the big over your head headphones. any suggestions?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I came into this thread about to recommend my headphones to you, the Sennheiser HD 650's, they're ridiculously nice sounding and really portray every aspect of the studio as well as handling all types of music really well...
    Sennheiser%20HD650.jpg

As you're going for in ear buds, I can only suggest checking audiophile forums, as I've only ever spent around £35 on a set of in ears... first Sony Groove's years ago and then these Philip over the ear ones for running with...

It's a shame that they find it unprofessional, as now that I have 'cans,' I'd never go back... but then there are two types and mine are the open ear ones and they'd be terrible for a workplace anyways 'cos they're really loud no matter the volume as there's no reverb...

I'd definitely check Sennheiser ones though, as they're pretty much Godly and a lot of studio heads swear by them... I'll do some research for you though :tu
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Thanks, yeah ive been looking at stuff on best buy and even the expensive ear buds have a problem with durability. i may just have to get some more skull candies or something. id love a pair of over the ear headphones tho for the walk home or something, how much do those run you?
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah ive been looking at stuff on best buy and even the expensive ear buds have a problem with durability. i may just have to get some more skull candies or something. id love a pair of over the ear headphones tho for the walk home or something, how much do those run you?

Yeah, it's a shame because they're definitely the only option at times, but I remember my Sony Ear Grooves being nigh on unbreakable, they ran me 6 years or so of heavy use and fitness... every other in ear has broken after 30+ runs.... slack.

Yeah, definitely pick some up, I swear by them now although these wouldn't be for you if you're walking home with traffic... they take noise in and send noise out as well, it's supposed to create a clearer sound... and so you listen to them in a quiet room, they set me back £240. Also got an Amp to power them though from Japan as without an amp you don't power them well enough through a laptop...

Closed headphones would be a good shout and for hip hop through my heavy research, it came out that Dre's Beats headphones were the best for bass at the price range (£200-£400). Their only issue is that they snap at the band, but they'll replace them for you as they know it's a problem with them.... remember that MP3's that are 192kbps don't sound as good with expensive headphones, really you want 320kbps or at least 256kbps...
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    i have som Phillips earbuds that sound amazing. i think they were like $24 or somthing at target but they hit hard. as for headphones i goota get a new pair for Djing as mine broke. i may look into the ones Ruffdraft mentioned.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    satyrone wrote: »
    i have som Phillips earbuds that sound amazing. i think they were like $24 or somthing at target but they hit hard. as for headphones i goota get a new pair for Djing as mine broke. i may look into the ones Ruffdraft mentioned.

They've won a bunch of awards, really well recommended, but again open ear... so see what fits your uses...

I probably have similar Philips to you Satyr, but they're a bit faulty when I'm running...
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    They've won a bunch of awards, really well recommended, but again open ear... so see what fits your uses...

I probably have similar Philips to you Satyr, but they're a bit faulty when I'm running...

thats the only thing withthe philips is that they fall out easy but ? they sound so good tho.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    satyrone wrote: »
    thats the only thing withthe philips is that they fall out easy but ? they sound so good tho.

As long as they're good, you ever had a more high end audiophile headphones though? In my opinion, people who complain about others who drop a few hundred or more on headphones don't know what they're missing...