What Happened To These 90's Music Stars? Part 1

Options
booty-gif-dot-com
booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Taken from the Blog Crazy Hot Tracks

SOUL 4 REAL
Put out the catchy hit single Candy Rain in 1995 using the same loop that Tribe Called Quest made famous in 1991′s Check The Rhime. This song dominated Black Radio that year but they were gone as soon as they appeared and i couldnt name another song by them if my life depended on it.

DRAMA
Looking like a smaller version of 2pac meets Ja Rule with a flow that reminded me of Mystikal with a lil Pastor Troy. He had a hit song with Left Right Left in 1999. Playing off military themes and his album went gold but up and disappeared after 2001

Had a big hit with Steelo backed up by Missy Elliot. They took there name from the area code they were from (Las Vegas) I liked there slow jam Get it Together Too, but I aint see them in years. Are they 3 hoodrats back in the projects talking about how they used to be stars? who knows.

K SOLO
Best known for Spell Bound in 1990 a track thats been dispute for years over ownership. He met rapper DMX while both were in prison and they both claimed to have written it and both recorded a version of it. Solo had a short stay as a signee to Death Row Records but nothing came out of it. His 2nd album 1992′s TIMES UP was a bad omen.

DIVINE
This dont make no sense… They had a #1 pop with the exciting ballad Lately in 1998. They were in there teens and sounded like grown women with a authentic emotion in there vocals. They followed it up with a cover of George Michael’s One More Try and then they just disappeared. I’m looking for there face on a milk carton.

(WTF happened to Divine??)
KING JUST
A Staten Island. (Shaolin) affiliated MC with a grimey street anthem that was also very danceable called Warriors Drum in 1995. His style sounded like Ole ? mixed with a younger Method Man with all the sound effects and voice inflections to emphasis his lyrics. Kid was pretty good!

SOLE’
Pronounced Soul-lay. exotic looking redbone rap chick that put out a hit with JT money called Who Dat around 1999. Started dating and then later married R&B singer Ginuwine, and i guess hes keeping her barefoot and pregnant off the market cause her output was quiet in the 2000′s

CASE
NY singer that was on Def Jam and had a hit in 1996 with Touch Me Tease Me with an assist from Foxy Brown. He put a few more quality songs like Happily Ever After 2001 he fell off the map. I havent heard of anything from him since!

PATRA
Female dancehall singer from Jamaica. She got a name here in America with her Queen Of The Pack Album that produced the title song in 1993 and another minor hit with A remake of Think About It(with the Late Lynn Collins whos voice was sampled for the classic Hip Hop song It Takes Two) and another modest hit with Workerman. I dont know if shes big back in her home country but her star didnt last here.

patra-16071.jpg

Comments

• Dblessed_1
    Dblessed_1 Members Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options
    one of the girls from 702 died is what i heard
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    K Solo has been rapping with Canibus for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Case, I don't know.
    Patra was on Biggie's first album. After that, I don't know.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Drama was doing a bid for like a robbery or something. Iont know how much time he got though, may be out now or doing life.

Sole' still with Ginuwine I think.

I dont know what happened to 702 or Soul4Real either, they was tight...
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Patra was on Biggie's first album. After that, I don't know.

For sake of accuracy i must correct that. Patra was not on the Ready to Die Album. on the track RESPECT the hook was done by Diana King another Jamaican born Dancehall chatter. I think I need add Diana to this list, because she did SHY GUY on the Bad Boys movie soundtrack and then i never heard another song from her!