The Black Wall Street Massacre

playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in The Biosphere
As published in my book Black People and Their Place in World History, available on amazon.com.
The "Black (? ) Wall Street" was the name given to Greenwood Avenue of North Tulsa, Oklahoma during the early 1900's. Because of strict segregation, Blacks were only allowed to shop, spend, and live in a 35 square block area called the Greenwood District. The "circulation of Black dollars" only in the Black community produced a tremendously prosperous Black business district that was admired and envied by the whole country.
Oklahoma's first African American settlers were Indian slaves of the so-called "Five Civilized Tribes": Chickasaws, Choctaws, Cherokees, Creeks, and Seminoles. These tribes were forced to leave the southeastern United States and resettle in Oklahoma in mid-winter over the infamous "Trail of Tears." After the Civil War, U.S.-Indian treaties provided for slave liberation and land allotments ranging from 40-100 acres, which helps explain why over 6,000 African-Americans lived in the Oklahoma territory by 1870. Oklahoma boasted of more all-Black towns and communities than any other state in the land, and these communities opened their arms to freed slaves from all across the country. Remarkably, at one time, there were over 30 African American newspapers in Oklahoma.

Tulsa began as an outpost of the Creek Indians and as late as 1910, Walter White of the NAACP, described Tulsa as "the dead and hopeless home of 18,182 souls." Suddenly, oil was discovered and Tulsa rapidly grew into a thriving, bustling, enormously wealthy town of 73,000 by 1920 with bank deposits totaling over $65 million. However, Tulsa was a "tale of two cities isolated and insular," one Black and one White. Tulsa was so racist and segregated that it was the only city in America that boasted of segregated telephone booths.
Since African Americans could neither live among Whites as equals nor patronize White businesses in Tulsa, Blacks had to develop a completely separate business district and community, which soon became prosperous and legendary. Black dollars invested in the Black community also produced self-pride, self-sufficiency, and self-determination. The business district, beginning at the intersection of Greenwood Avenue and Archer Street, became so successful and vibrant that Booker T. Washington during his visit bestowed the moniker: "? Wall Street." By 1921, Tulsa's African American population of 11,000 had its own bus line, two high schools, one hospital, two newspapers, two theaters, three drug stores, four hotels, a public library, and thirteen churches. In addition, there were over 150 two and three story brick commercial buildings that housed clothing and grocery stores, cafes, rooming houses, nightclubs, and a large number of professional offices including doctors, lawyers, and dentists. Tulsa's progressive African American community boasted some of the city's most elegant brick homes, well furnished with china, fine linens, beautiful furniture, and grand pianos. Mary Elizabeth Parrish from Rochester, New York wrote: "In the residential section there were homes of beauty and splendor which would please the most critical eye." Well known African American personalities often visited the Greenwood district including: educators Mary McCloud Bethune and W. E. B. DuBois, scientist George Washington Carver, opera singer Marian Anderson, blues singer Dinah Washington, and noted Chicago chemist Percy Julian.
T. P. Scott wrote in "? City Directory": "Early African American business leaders in Tulsa patterned the development of Tulsa's thriving Greenwood district after the successful African American entrepreneurial activity in Durham, North Carolina." After the Civil War, former slaves moved to Durham from the neighboring farmlands and found employment in tobacco processing plants. By 1900, a large Black middle class had developed which began businesses that soon grew into phenomenally successful corporations, especially North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company. Charles Clinton Spaulding was so successful with the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company that he was able to create a real estate company, a textile and hosiery mill, and the "Durham ? Observer" newspaper. Durham Blacks also created a hospital, Mechanics and Farmers Bank (1908), North Carolina Training College (1910), Banker's Fire Insurance Company (1920), and the National ? Finance Company (1922). However, living conditions in Durham were so substandard and working conditions so poor that the 1920 mortality rate among Blacks in Durham was three times higher than the White rate. As of 1926, 64% of all African Americans in Durham died before the age of 40. These perilous working and living conditions were not present in Tulsa.
On May 31, 1921, the successful Black Greenwood district was completely destroyed by one of the worse race riots in U.S. history. A 19 year old Black male accidentally stumbled on a jerky elevator and bumped the 17-year-old White elevator operator who screamed. The frightened young fellow was seen running from the elevator by a group of Whites and by late afternoon the "Tulsa Tribune" reported that the girl had been ? . Despite the girl's denial of any wrongdoing, the boy was arrested and a large mob of 2,000 White men came to the jail to lynch the prisoner. About seventy five armed African Americans came to the jail to offer assistance to the sheriff to protect the prisoner. The sheriff not only refused the assistance but also deputized the White mob to disarm the Blacks. With a defenseless Black community before them, the White mob advanced to the Greenwood district where they first looted and then burned all Black businesses, homes, and churches.
tulsa-race-riot-1921-x-naacp-20701-20090515-3.jpg
Any Black resisters were shot and thrown into the fires. When the National Guard arrived, they assisted the others by arresting all Black men, women, and children, and herding them into detention centers at the Baseball Park and Convention Hall. As many as 4,000 Blacks were held under armed guard in detention. Dr. Arthur C. Jackson, a nationally renowned surgeon and called by the Mayo brothers (of Mayo Clinic fame) "the most able ? surgeon in America," was shot at the Convention Hall and allowed to bleed to death. The "Chicago Tribute" Newspaper reported that Whites also used private airplanes to drop kerosene and dynamite on Black homes. By the next morning the entire Greenwood district was reduced to ashes and not one White was even accused of any wrongdoing, much less arrested.
The race riot of Tulsa, Oklahoma was not an isolated event in American history. On May 28, 1917, a White mob of over 3,000 in East St. Louis, Illinois ravaged African American stores, homes, and churches. Eyewitnesses reported that over one hundred Blacks were gunned down as they left their burning homes including a small Black child who was shot and thrown back into the burning building to die. Seven White police officers charged with murder by the Illinois Attorney General were collectively fined $150. During the "Red Summer" of 1919, over twenty-five race riots, where White mobs attacked Black neighborhoods. were recorded. In the 1919 race riot at Elaine, Arkansas, White mobs killed over 200 African Americans and burned their homes and businesses. Federal troops arrested hundreds of Blacks trying to protect their possessions and forcibly held them in basements of the city's public schools. Twelve Blacks were indicted (no Whites) and convicted of inciting violence and sentenced to die. The NAACP persuaded the U.S. Supreme Court for the first time in history to reverse a racially biased Southern court.
Director John Singleton exposed the horror of the Rosewood, Florida massacre of 1922 in his film entitled "Rosewood." A White mob burned down the entire town and tried to ? all of its Black inhabitants. In April 1994, the Florida legislature passed the "Rosewood Bill," which awarded $150,000 to each of the riot's nine eligible Black survivors.
After the Tulsa riot, the White inhabitants tried to buy the Black property and force Black people out of town. No Tulsa bank or lending institution would make loans in the riot-marred Greenwood district, and the city refused all outside assistance. However, racial pride and self-determination would not permit the Greenwood owners to sell, and they doggedly spend the entire winter in tents donated by the American Red Cross.
Rebuilding was a testament to the courage and stamina of Tulsa's pioneers in their struggle for freedom. Most of the buildings along the first block of Greenwood Avenue were rebuilt within one year. Henry Whitlow wrote: "A little over a decade after the riot, everything was more prosperous than before." In 1926, W. E. B. DuBois visited Tulsa and wrote: "Black Tulsa is a happy city. It has new clothes. It is young and ? and strong. Five little years ago, fire and blood and robbery leveled it to the ground. Scars are there, but the city is impudent and noisy. It believes in itself. Thank ? for the grit of Black Tulsa." Like Black Tulsa, African Americans can continue to survive by self-pride, self-help, and self-determination.

I would say we shall never forget.. But.. we dont know.

Comments

• Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    powerful drop fam...food for the soul.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Nowadays they(racist whites) don't have to lift a finger. We doing it for them.
  • playmaker88
    edited March 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    powerful drop fam...food for the soul.
    I was waiting for someone to post this in here...good lookin.

powerful reading

Most def just tryin to do my part.. im lookin forward to learning more myself..we have a deep history in america that hasnt been told
    plocc wrote: »

Exactly.. you and i are more likely to be a impeded/held down or victim of our own that some ? hater..
  • hemmrao
    hemmrao Members Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    So rare news, good info, keep it up . . :cool:
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited August 2010
    plocc wrote: »

I appreciate the fact you aren't like alot of these IC racists and you took the time to write "racist" whites instead of just "whites".....I appreciate that dude.

This story though, thats ? up. I'm so glad to be livin in this day and age, it's still such a trip to think that ? like this went on in "such a civilised country" a little more than a lifetime ago....*shakes head*

I just don't get it....I don't get how ? like that happend, I mean I know that alot of people just had that bred into them but really, it aint that hard to know whats right and wrong even if your lifestyle agree's or doesn't agree with it....

Worst part about it.........it still goes on today, even here on the IC, when we all have such a strong love for something and it's in all of us, yet we fight over it instead of letting it bind us together....and if you dont know what that thing is, well....its hip hop and I just dont get why people need to fight over race concernin that, I swear hip hop has the power to be the first mutual love that doesnt have racism tearin it apart at its seams....so why we choose to let that happen, I just don't understand....
  • playmaker88
    edited August 2010
    I appreciate the fact you aren't like alot of these IC racists and you took the time to write "racist" whites instead of just "whites".....I appreciate that dude.

This story though, thats ? up. I'm so glad to be livin in this day and age, it's still such a trip to think that ? like this went on in "such a civilised country" a little more than a lifetime ago....*shakes head*

I just don't get it....I don't get how ? like that happend, I mean I know that alot of people just had that bred into them but really, it aint that hard to know whats right and wrong even if your lifestyle agree's or doesn't agree with it....

Worst part about it.........it still goes on today, even here on the IC,
    when we all have such a strong love for something and it's in all of us, yet we fight over it instead of letting it bind us together....and if you dont know what that thing is, well....its hip hop and I just dont get why people need to fight over race concernin that, I swear hip hop has the power to be the first mutual love that doesnt have racism tearin it apart at its seams....so why we choose to let that happen, I just don't understand....

Wait what.. you make a connection of the murder of a crime bigger than 9/11 is synonymous with the attitudes and perceptions on the IC.. im gonna need you to come out of your dreamstate and back to reality.. Hiphop has manifested many frivolous relationships.. Why because of the mindlessness.. you are right because it could have that power to foster real meaningful understanding and connection but it wont.. You have to teach.. in order for people to grow.. Far too many.. meaningless friendships and associations made by.. HIPHOP.. and this really isnt the thread for it.
  • faizjoks
    faizjoks Members Posts: 5
    edited October 2010
    It was reported that majority of the committee does not question the fairness of compensation. The recommendations are not intended to be exhaustive, but rather the decision-makers know the feeling of an action for damages based on dialogue.
  • playmaker88
    edited February 2011
    Bump. Black History. Americas first Major Terrorist Attack
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Damn everything is down in this site
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Right now we still have Greenwood.. but the white people built a baseball stadium by there and they are wanting to buy out that lil part of GW and make a parking lot
  • REAL_POETICAL
    REAL_POETICAL Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited March 2011
    after reading this story...all i can say is......damn

powerful thread indeed...and strong story of the evil that men do...the souls of the fallen innocent shall never be forgotten and the souls of hatred pride shall never rest in peace
  • bissapaloan
    bissapaloan Members Posts: 5
    excilent droping
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't thank you enough for this article!!!! I have been searching for this for over 10 years, when I saw the history channel or A&E or maybe public station report on this. There was also video for the riots. I haven't heard any mention of it since
  • luke1733
    Everytime I would refer to it, all I could say was "prosperous black community in the early 1900s where blacks owned everything in Oklahoma was bombed by gov't planes, police force and military."
  • luke1733
    As you can see, me saying that does nothing for credibility or internet searches. Thanks alot. I needed to remember what it was called.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭