Options
2»

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    I know that. That is why I said Mathematics is Universal and numbers are not. Mathematics and Numbers are not congruent. Go read my post again and get back with me.

Pythagorus agrees with me. And you partially.

Numbers, like mathematics, are in everything. If anything exists, there is a number. We created the word "number" and the signs to represent numbers but if a rock exists, it is one rock. That's a number
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    You are assuming that Mexicans...as well as everyone else...have the privilege of knowing what mathematics is. There are people who can't do math. They may not even be able to spell "math".

Whether you can do math or not or even if you don't know what mathematics is, mathematics still exists. Mathematics works with reality and truth. Even if you don't know what mathematics is, if you exist, you'll eventually come upon it
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Numbers, like mathematics, are in everything. If anything exists, there is a number. We created the word "number" and the signs to represent numbers but if a rock exists, it is one rock. That's a number

A number is supposed to representative of something. That example of one rock is not Universal. That is arbitrary.

You used the analogy of 2+2= 4 and that a Mexican child would know it. I gave you the example of Egyptians not knowing that.

Ancient people did not use numerals such as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 in that fashion. In fact what they used would be classified as totally different in meaning that would not make it universal.

You said one rock. Well "one" in Roman would be single and solitary. In civilizations that predated them it would not. One could be used to represent ten thousand parts in Egypt, or even a million. These people built a mathematical marvel with a system that didn't recognize the numerical system we use today. In Hebrew tradition, the world Elohim has an underlying meaning of one, but it is plural also. Same with the word Allah. It sometimes takes on a plural connotation.

Mathematics is Universal. The application and arbitrary use of "numbers" are not.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    it doesnt matter what anybody used to represent numbers, whther one was singular, plural, solid or what, numbers still exist and existed. We are on a different world sytem than the ancients but no matter what your culture is or was, you would have a representation of what numbers are
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Whether you can do math or not or even if you don't know what mathematics is, mathematics still exists. Mathematics works with reality and truth. Even if you don't know what mathematics is, if you exist, you'll eventually come upon it

But will that person eventually know what mathematics is? Again, you are assuming that everyone will have the privilege to learn about it. Also, there is a sense that you don't think that math has no beginning; no history. It is just there and if someone comes upon it then it is their gain. What was mathematics before it became institutionalized?
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    A reason why one could be plural back then is because of a different world view. We dont need to go into all that but there were still systems for numbers
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    But will that person eventually know what mathematics is? Again, you are assuming that everyone will have the privilege to learn about it. Also, there is a sense that you don't think that math has no beginning; no history. It is just there and if someone comes upon it then it is their gain. What was mathematics before it became institutionalized?

If you can reason you will eventually find that an object can be singulsr or objects can be plural. A system for numbers has then been established by counting objects , adding, subtracting, whatever. Mathematics is used in daily life
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Anyway, I never said numbers were universal, I said mathematics is universal so I don't need to speak about any of this anymore. Ya'll trying to bait me into some other stuff
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    A number is supposed to representative of something. That example of one rock is not Universal. That is arbitrary.

You used the analogy of 2+2= 4 and that a Mexican child would know it. I gave you the example of Egyptians not knowing that.

Ancient people did not use numerals such as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 in that fashion. In fact what they used would be classified as totally different in meaning that would not make it universal.

You said one rock. Well "one" in Roman would be single and solitary. In civilizations that predated them it would not. One could be used to represent ten thousand parts in Egypt, or even a million. These people built a mathematical marvel with a system that didn't recognize the numerical system we use today. In Hebrew tradition, the world Elohim has an underlying meaning of one, but it is plural also. Same with the word Allah. It sometimes takes on a plural connotation.

Mathematics is Universal. The application and arbitrary use of "numbers" are not.

please explain from my understanding the reason why we Muslims reserve the name "Allah" as his greatest name is because it cannot be made to have a specific gender and it denotes one ? that can't be divide from a linguistic standpoint, I'm only beginning to get serious with keeping up with learning arabic so this would be appreciated.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    If you can reason you will eventually find that an object can be singulsr or objects can be plural. A system for numbers has then been established by counting objects , adding, subtracting, whatever. Mathematics is used in daily life

I'm not question the use of mathematics or the use of logic or even their existence. But can one of the two, own it's own merit, can arrive at "The Truth"?