Do Multi-Cultural and/or Multi-Racial Churches Exist? If So, Can They Succeed?

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I don't think that I know any church that is multi-cultural or multi-racial. I've heard about the mega churches but I've never been to one (thankfully) and don't know much about them, to be honest. Every church that I have seen that has tried to be more open to other cultures, races, or ethnicities has never really succeeded in doing so. One way or another, a church will have a dominant language, culture, and ethnicity and will unfortunately alienate those who don't fit that mold. I attend a church that is literally next door not only to a hispanic church but also to a white church. And I don't think that any of the churches even like each other.

I think that just goes to show you how humans generally can never really seem to get past culture and race in order to come together to do even the most simplest things such as giving praise to a mutual ? . I don't know whether society, humankind, or religion is to blame, but it certainly seems that Christians are steadily continuing a tradition of disgracing Christianity.

I actually can think of one multi-cultural and multi-racial church. But that church belonged to Jim Jones and we all know how that turned out...

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Jehovah Witnesses have a sizable Black membership as well as other ethnicities. They probably would be the only one I could think of. Although most Kingdom Halls do seem like they congregate along the color line.

Seventh Day Adventists also. But they seem to congregate along the color line, also.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    Jehovah Witnesses have a sizable Black membership as well as other ethnicities. They probably would be the only one I could think of. Although most Kingdom Halls do seem like they congregate along the color line.

Seventh Day Adventists also. But they seem to congregate along the color line, also.

Hm, interesting. I didn't know that. I could def read up on that.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2011
    Most noatably in Evangelism, Yes, they exist. Yes, they can succeed.

But most of those churches, are residue from the 80's and their sons/daughters kept the congregation together, plus, it will usually feature a White pastor.

Interesting. So what was so special about the 80's that was so inviting to multi-cultural churches? The 60s, I get. The 60s were about peace, love, and harmony. But the 80s? And I wonder why it is always a white pastor, hm.

But yeah, I can see it work in evangelism like you said. And yeah, I can also see it work on the local scale with family-run congegrations like you also said. I guess I just never seen them.
    New Multi-cultural churches will never flourish, because most White Pastors with the ability to effect one.....now understand the importance in staying silent on Inequality and White-racism, these days.

church is still the leading org, in a community, for rallying support to combat injustices.....if Pastors are no longer seeking Racial-unity and cultural camaraderie, then.....it's dead!

I agree for the most part. It's really a pity. And you also have all sorts of politics that also get in the way. Makes me admire MLK and people of his ilk that much more.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    The most segregated time in America is at 8am on Sunday. But that will be changing here real soon. When the call to go out of Babylon sounds, the true body of Christ will depart from these borders. It will be a mixed multitude of people from all walks of life. This will be the true representation of the kingdom of Heaven.

The church in America, the building, is dead. It has the characteristics of the Laodecian church, which emphatically declares: "I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing;" every Sunday.

So the Lord will spew that church out of His mouth and into great tribulation. Those who are part of the Laodecian church in America will be destroyed in 1 hour when Babylon is consumed. Those who are part of the Laodecian church throughout the world will have to endure the reign of the beast. Neither of those options have hope in it. That's why you must repent and believe the gospel. And do those things which please the Lord. Namely, loving Him with all of your heart, mind, soul, and body; and also loving your neighbor as yourself. If you do those 2 things, you will be sheltered from the wrath to come.

"Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast. 21For, behold, the LORD cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:20-21

Will you be accounted worthy to escape all these things that will be shortly coming to pass?

"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man." Luke 21:36

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." Revelation 3:10
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    The most segregated time in America is at 8am on Sunday.

This is true. Black people ain't getting up on Sunday Morning that early.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    This is true. Black people ain't getting up on Sunday Morning that early.

Lmao now 12-6.. is a different story.. the church dinner plates or the pilgrimage to southern smokehouse on a sunday after service its a wrap..