how important is it to stick to one work out routine for weeks

needmorecash
needmorecash Members Posts: 253
edited July 2011 in The Weight Room
what i mean is. when i look for workouts online usually through bodybuilder.com

all the work outs say do these 4 exercises for 6 to 8 even 12 weeks at a time before switching

sometimes i go to the gym and my time is short or the machines are too crowded to use the the same machines

so i will just find something else to do or just end up doing 2 sets of something instead of 3 or 4.

i guess my questions is how important is it to stick to one workout program for weeks. . .

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    eddie2time wrote: »
    what i mean is. when i look for workouts online usually through bodybuilder.com

all the work outs say do these 4 exercises for 6 to 8 even 12 weeks at a time before switching

sometimes i go to the gym and my time is short or the machines are too crowded to use the the same machines

so i will just find something else to do or just end up doing 2 sets of something instead of 3 or 4.

i guess my questions is how important is it to stick to one workout program for weeks. . .
    It's important because you want to see results, right? Stop cutting yourself short, do the whole program. Also, continue increasing the weights as you go along so your body keeps growing and your muscles stay challenged :tu If you dont have enough time, switch some things around on your schedule or go to the gym at a time when it isnt too crowded. Also, its nothing to ask someone to jump on a machine with them while they are resting. Hope this helps.
  • Boo Radley
    Boo Radley Members Posts: 104
    edited July 2011
    The only person that's going to notice when you don't stick to it is you. I usually switch my workout every 18-24 weeks. Might be as simple as switching days, or completely revamping depending on goals.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    It's important but not all that important until you find out what works best for you.

ANY consistent routine is better than NO routine even if it is a sub-par one, but once you find what works best for your development, that's what you're most like to stick with.

For example I used to do flat bench presses consistently as the main chest movement along with Dips and Incline bench. I advanced at it however I know that my body wasn't developing the way I wanted it to. So I started experimenting and found that Weighed and Bodyweight Dips, Cable Flys, and close grip bench are better for MY chest developement than flat bench press. That's not to say that it's bad, that's just to say that it's not for me. Just like Hack Squats for quads, many people swear by them and I've tried them for weeks but I rather do front squats as my main quad developer because I get the most out of them.

So all in all, change up your routine until you find out what works best for you.....until your find something better....
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited July 2011
    great best advise i got all around. big ups all
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    I believe in muscle confusion. Always works for me and other people I know. Just keep working out every day and don't worry about switching up the routine.