Are Decline Bench Press effectve at all?? Who does them?

jay83
jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Weight Room
I dont really see a purpose. Anybody do them regularly.

Comments

• RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    shut the ? up ?
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Man this is a tough question and it will depend entirely on u. I was doing some decline bench presses one time in the gym and a trainer came up to me and told me I was wasting my time cause we don't have a lower chest muscle. Technically, this is correct. He also had a huge chest so I took his word for it. But some believe u can hit the chest a lot better with declines. Personally, since that day I don't do them. I'd rather throw in more sets with incline and flat.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Man this is a tough question and it will depend entirely on u. I was doing some decline bench presses one time in the gym and a trainer came up to me and told me I was wasting my time cause we don't have a lower chest muscle. Technically, this is correct. He also had a huge chest so I took his word for it. But some believe u can hit the chest a lot better with declines. Personally, since that day I don't do them. I'd rather throw in more sets with incline and flat.

yea. I haven't done them in years, but I was wondering who incorporates them regularly.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    From my understanding they tighten up you lower chest. AKA haggin man ? .
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    don't lift weights but I do decline pushups as part of a series of pushups during my workout.
    I don't see myself eliminating them from the equation anytime soon.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    Its good to switch up your work out around. Different angles and going heavy or light are a good way to mix it up.
  • HipHopFiend91
    HipHopFiend91 Members Posts: 2,394
    edited July 2011
    there a waste stick to regular benching
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    They hurt my shoulderd so I mess with the machines for decline and flys to. Oher then that I I keep it free weights bars and dumbbells.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I do them every once in a while to switch it up but not on the regular
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Declines are kinda pointless for huge chest but they do help you get them...by helping you increase your flat bench IMO
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I do flat and incline. If you want a hard chest routine throw in some isolation presses.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I rather do chest dips than decline.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited July 2011
    Decline bench presses have their use, though limited. They don't help to sculpt the chest like many asset, but the positioning does help those with strong anterior (front) delts which would typically overpower the pec muscles in the typical bench press and prevent the person from training to full muscular exhaustion. Decline takes alot of the leverage of the front shoulder muscles out of the equation.

Also dips are ONLY comparable to decline in terms of muscles hit if the person leans FORWARD while performing the exercise. Otherwise its a tricep and to a lesser extent delt exercise.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I busted a blood vessel in my eye ? with declines.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited July 2011
    I busted a blood vessel in my eye ? with declines.

Do you have a proper breathing technique while performing exercises?
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    don't lift weights but I do decline pushups as part of a series of pushups during my workout.
    I don't see myself eliminating them from the equation anytime soon.

how exactly do you do decline pushups..Im thinking its in the positioning of the hands...lower near your abdomen..am I correct...anyway back to the topic

I do them regularly and my chest is decent...Im content..check the bulk thread..I know I lift more on decline than incline and flat and contrary to whats been posted I do believe they target the lower area of the pec muscles because thats what I feel flexing when I do the decline and also that area is thicker than it was when I wasnt doing them. Having a huge chest is one thikn but if you notice everones chest isnt built the same. some is thicker while others has more width than anything..I do believe is due to the width of the grips on bench and pushups and the angle at which the weight is supplied. at whateva point the weight is focused your body is going to send blood rushing and fibers and tendons are going to be exercised more than any other area.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Do you have a proper breathing technique while performing exercises?
    Typically I do.

But after the fact I recognized that I lost concentration on my breathing when that issue actually occurred.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I do decline regularly both bench and free weight. Free weight is way more effective I've virtually stopped bench decline but I've never heard of it being referred to as "pointless." The book I refer to mostly is Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and we all know he got it right. It's effective to attack your chest from different angles though.