Let's be real, Late Registration's Production>>> The Chronic's

123457»

Comments

• Who Cares???
    Who Cares??? Members Posts: 1,167
    edited July 2011
    Late Registration topped numerous music critic polls and was revered as the best album of the year by numerous publications, including USA Today, Spin, and Time.[36][70] Rolling Stone awarded the second effort the highest position on their end of the year record list and hailed it as a "sweepingly generous, absurdly virtuosic hip-hop classic."[71] In the 2005 Village Voice Pazz & Jop poll of 795 pop critics, Late Registration finished at number one by a wide margin over any of the other album nominees. This was the second year in a row that West topped the nationwide critic poll, a feat that had occurred only one other time over twenty years ago by The Clash.[72] Pitchfork Media cited Late Registration as the second best album of 2005, saying, "Co-producer Jon Brion lent West an expansively ecstatic lift that West had never had before, and West lent Brion a genially self-important strut that Brion had never had. Together, they crafted a cathedral of sonic details — a gorgeous, tangled, heartfelt strings-and-samples masterpiece."[73] PopMatters listed Late Registration as the eighteenth best album of the year, writing, "His rhyming style is unique for how intuitive it seems. It might not be technically perfect, but it jibes perfectly with the lyrical diversity of his songs, the way he goes from boasting and joking to crying and reminiscing in a heartbeat. It's an album that dares to be stupid and smart, angry and silly, painful and joyous. The rhymes are further elevated by a layered, carefully crafted sound of melodic, atmospheric soul. Guest vocalists sing with yearning; strings and horns blend with samples of old soul and blues songs; MCs from disparate backgrounds make show-stopping appearances and disappear. Boundaries smoothly slide into each other, and everyday music is built." [74] Late Registration stands as West's second consecutive studio release to be rated XXL by XXL, the magazine's highest rank, which has been awarded to only sixteen other hip-hop albums.[75]
    At the 48th Grammy Awards, Late Registration received a nomination for Album of the Year and won Best Rap Album. West'? single "Gold Digger" was nominated for Record of the Year and received the award for Best Rap Solo Performance. He also won Best Rap Song for "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."[76] At the 37th NAACP Image Awards, the second album received a nomination for Outstanding Album. Late Registration was nominated for Album of the Year at the third annual Vibe Awards, but lost to Mariah Carey's The Emancipation of Mimi.[77] West received the awards for Top Rap Album for Late Registration as well as Hot Rap Track for "Gold Digger" at the 2006 Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Awards, where he also received nominations for Top R&B/Hip-Hop Album and Top R&B/Hip-Hop Song.[78][79] Late Registration was nominated for best International Album at the 2006 BRIT Awards. At the end of the 2000s decade, Rolling Stone ranked the album number 40 on its list of the 100 Best Albums of the Decade.[80]

People acting like we brought up Ye out of no where
    He 5 albums deep as a solo artist, and countless other productions on other albums
    People acting like this J Cole vs Dr. Dre out here

Who implied that? You guys argue that sales and other caucasion accolades mean nothing then turn around and use it for counterarguments. The notion that an album that influenced a number of past and present producers is inferior to an album that basically came and went, is insane. The Chronic has songs that are legendary damn near two decades later. You gonna tell me you have not heard Aint Nuttin But a G Thang on your home radio station with the last 2 years? I rarely listen to radio but heard it a number of times since January. What song of LR get play, just because? How many times you hit a black music venue and they played anything off LR?
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    MvpBrodie next time you make a thread at least stay on topic

you made a thread about PRODUCTION, yet youve been talkin about songs, lyricism content flow etc...

in terms of production i dont think it is a fair comparison, seeing as how far production has come and all the advancements in technology

Beats quality has improved a million %, if this was soley about production than kanyes albums ? on illmatic, matw, rd, and nearly every 90's album....

You want to compare production then put it up against some update contenders such as Deeper Than Rap, where production was the main ingredient to success
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Some other ? brought up the chronic overall>>>LR I then stated my opinion

I don't think all 00's are better then all 90's albums production wise.

I think 2001 is better produced then lets say Finally Famous which came out this year.

MvpBrodie next time you make a thread at least stay on topic

you made a thread about PRODUCTION, yet youve been talkin about songs, lyricism content flow etc...

in terms of production i dont think it is a fair comparison, seeing as how far production has come and all the advancements in technology

Beats quality has improved a million %, if this was soley about production than kanyes albums ? on illmatic, matw, rd, and nearly every 90's album....

You want to compare production then put it up against some update contenders such as Deeper Than Rap, where production was the main ingredient to success
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    LR is beyond the Chronic
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Who implied that? You guys argue that sales and other caucasion accolades mean nothing then turn around and use it for counterarguments. The notion that an album that influenced a number of past and present producers is inferior to an album that basically came and went, is insane. The Chronic has songs that are legendary damn near two decades later. You gonna tell me you have not heard Aint Nuttin But a G Thang on your home radio station with the last 2 years? I rarely listen to radio but heard it a number of times since January. What song of LR get play, just because? How many times you hit a black music venue and they played anything off LR?

Its got an XXL (Ye's second consecutive) and 5 Mics too if that interest you
    and as if the Chronic wasnt loved by the white population, white people love aint nuthin but a g thang... but they love gold digger too
    and Ive heard plenty kanye tracks played out black venues.... as well as radio stations where you been?
    Im sure Dre killed the radio waves for a long time.... but its not that much of a stretch to compare him to ye

but besides all that we talking about quality, not how many have heard the album
    thats another counterargument people like using...
    thats like saying the carter 3 has better production than a ______ (unknown) album cause more people have heard it
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011

Preach
  • thesynthesis
    edited July 2011
    Some other ? brought up the chronic overall>>>LR I then stated my opinion

I don't think all 00's are better then all 90's albums production wise.

I think 2001 is better produced then lets say Finally Famous which came out this year.

00's albums went into the the digital age, so there was a sound advancement

also producers had big studios and big engineers mixing records, music became way more hands on, the 90's laid the foundation and the 00's producers uppped there game

if u compare the beats of the 80's to the 90's u'll notice a huge difference

Producers have gotten better with time, thats undeniable, even Dr Dre upped his game from the 80's to the 90's to the 00's....his drums got clearer and bang more, he has access to orchestras and big name engineers, 5 mpc 3000 sitting side by side, every keyboard, vsti imaginable

dj quick said walking into dre's studio is like walking into a spaceship, he's never seen anything like it

beat for beat there are albums in the 00's which will give LR a run for the money, Deeper Than Rap in terms of production is amazing, it was a game changer, The Black Album, etc....
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    dj quick said walking into dre's studio is like walking into a spaceship, he's never seen anything like it

Uh huh?

So why ain't he produced sumthin dope for years?
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    are u ? serious? LR is dog ? in production compared to The Chronic. And how u gon make a thread about a album in the 00's era being better than a 90's era album? Technologies are different.smh
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    But if you say production is always getting better with each decade... than you always ? on what came before though aren't you?

I think you can appreciate old rap music in terms of musicality w/o necessarily thinking its worse than what comes out today. I know I get put on to ? that came out a long time ago that I can still at least appreciate
  • thesynthesis
    edited July 2011
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Uh huh?

So why ain't he produced sumthin dope for years?

i dont have a clue, looks like he to busy gettin brolic, family issues, over 30 years in the game, hunger, bar set to high, who knows?

in the same respect kanye has had a lot of misses as a producer, mixed reaction to his beats, his best work came early on in his career IMO, when he could do no wrong

i think when producers go out comfort zones thats when they will make a lot of garbage beats, but then you have that gem here and there

at the mo Justice League> Dre and Kanye
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Dre the GOAT tho