Does anyone understand OTIS?

rapaintdead
rapaintdead Members Posts: 28
edited July 2011 in The Reason
@BigDaddyCaine Follow now!

But ummmm I like the song, I love how they go back and forth on "Bawse" ? its nice. Kanye got Jay in this in my opinion. But does anyone understand the song. WTF does the sample have to do with all this talk of fly ? . I really cant get into this song like ppl are, I like it but I prefer H.A.M. I woulda loved OTIS to be a love ballad, or softer type of rap song. Thoughts?

Comments

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I posted a similar statement as the t/s in a thread last week. To me, the sample and title of the song seem irrelevant to what Jay and Kanye were rappin' about. It's what I pointed out as the invitation to negative criticism. They sampled a classic which automatically raises expectations, then to name it "Otis" and not really address Otis Redding adds insult to injury. I'm not saying, it's wack because of it, but it's not surprising that Cee Lo and Ski responded how they did.
  • End of an Era
    End of an Era Members Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    jigga warriorz caught feelings
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I posted a similar statement as the t/s in a thread last week. To me, the sample and title of the song seem irrelevant to what Jay and Kanye were rappin' about. It's what I pointed out as the invitation to negative criticism. They sampled a classic which automatically raises expectations, then to name it "Otis" and not really address Otis Redding adds insult to injury. I'm not saying, it's wack because of it, but it's not surprising that Cee Lo and Ski responded how they did.

I dont understand why people think so literally.

Goriilaz released Clint Eastwood and ? Harry, both of which have nothing to do with Clint or the fictional character he portrays. And no one said ? .

Same with 'Kast and Rosa Parks.

Wiz and Currensy had a fire song called Huey Newton and caught ? because "it was an insult to the memory of Huey Newton" (because all black artists are obligated to carry the torch for all Black activists)

Why do people wanna bring up this ? with Jay and 'Ye?
  • Zig Zag Zigga
    Zig Zag Zigga Members Posts: 417
    edited July 2011

Uncle Otis >

• ThatA
    ThatA Members Posts: 566
    edited July 2011
    Why's that song called Huey Newton anyway? Makes ZERO sense.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011

But ummmm I like the song, I love how they go back and forth on "Bawse" ? its nice. Kanye got Jay in this in my opinion. But does anyone understand the song. WTF does the sample have to do with all this talk of fly ? . I really cant get into this song like ppl are, I like it but I prefer H.A.M. I woulda loved OTIS to be a love ballad, or softer type of rap song. Thoughts?

? .......
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Nah t/s is right it makes no ? sense at all.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    ThatA wrote: »
    Why's that song called Huey Newton anyway? Makes ZERO sense.

i dunno but they killed that ? .
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Who knows but the beat was tight, the song was decent and Kanye slaughtered Jay so it's all good.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    all I hear is a looped track with two out of touch buddies going back and forth about the invention of swagger never going to hell and wearing snapbacks to the back so the fresh cut is exposed ..

one buddy sounds more wheezy breathed and the other buddy has more control of his voice ....