If television could write social commentary on local hip hop...

Options
LOLCL
LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in The Social Lounge
Which direction do you think it'd take and do you think it'd be a good idea?
I'm talking about scripted commentary on the general behavior of rappers at a local level, that kid who always tried to be a rapper, the failed artists who spend their time smoking weed all the time, and that dude who always swears he'll be famous next.

Do you think a successful show could include this element as a heavy part?

I only ask because I'm writing my own show and contemplating putting this flavor in there.

Comments

• Guercio
    Guercio Members Posts: 25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Frankly it would be hard enough finding a show that would be based upon characters trying to make it in the music industry, period. Let alone hip hop. If anyone was going to have a shot at it I would think an interest conflict would be a commentary on how a young guy would try and make it as the bottom by trying to idolise hip hop art and culture, and yet how the idols that still stayed at the top have moved on to another artform ("hip hop is dead").
  • LOLCL
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Guercio wrote: »
    Frankly it would be hard enough finding a show that would be based upon characters trying to make it in the music industry, period. Let alone hip hop. If anyone was going to have a shot at it I would think an interest conflict would be a commentary on how a young guy would try and make it as the bottom by trying to idolise hip hop art and culture, and yet how the idols that still stayed at the top have moved on to another artform ("hip hop is dead").

That's a great idea and an interesting point, someone could use the idolizing the culture to really contrast what's reality and what's fake in the hip hop world.
  • Guercio
    Guercio Members Posts: 25
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LOLCL wrote: »
    That's a great idea and an interesting point, someone could use the idolizing the culture to really contrast what's reality and what's fake in the hip hop world.

Yeah it opens up all sorts of dichotomies like social circles, culture clashes etc. I've had it in the back of my mind for a while in terms of writing a comedy film about it but I haven't even laid a word down on the screen or paper so all the best if you go down that road.
  • LOLCL
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I'm not talking hip hop as a center piece but include it in a show in general, it doesn't have to be all about hip hop.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Doesn't/didn't Boondocks do this already???