Blu & Exile's Below the Heavens- UGHH's Top Selling Album (June), 500+ Copies Sold!

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Essence
Signs of a true classic underground album? Following 4 years since its inception, Below The Heavens was finally restocked over at UGHH and shot straight to the top of the charts… I got my copy, did you get yours? It sold out again, straight away and this is what UGHH had to say about it:
UGHH wrote:
7/12: For the second month in a row, the #1 seller on UGHH.com for the month of June is Blu & Exile (of Emanon) - 'Below The Heavens (Re-Issue)'! We sold over 500 copies of this CD in less than two months - unbelievable! This item might not be the # 1 seller for the month of July since it has been sold out for a couple of weeks but it's safe to say that if we have this item in stock, it will likely be the #1 seller of the month for quite some time. Being out of print for several years, this highly collectible CD was fetching over $100 on auction sites (and our price is only $15.97), so once we got our hands on the re-issue (and being one of the only online sites with stock), our customers went NUTS.

Crazy how much that release was going for on re-sale. Would be cool to not have the re-issue though.

Anyone got the original release? I was going to cop at the time, but I was a broke student in 2007 :lol:

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Havent bought a cd in like 7 years. I live in alaska and almost all of our cd retail stores were bought out. we have one indie music place but they dont have alot of hip hop. I could get them online but when i was young i spent soooooo much money on cd's i wish i could get in the habit of doing it again but i gotta focus on me haha. If the artist does a show i would pay to see that. maybe get a t shirt. I used to have over 500 dollars worth of cd's but some jack ass stole it out of my locker in highschool. Ruined my life but then the Ipod and Rar files became big.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Funny what sharing information could do, and how a re-issue would impact a album sale.
    At this rate, I believe Blu and Exile would probably reach platinum if not already.

Nah, I still have to get this and other CDs! I didn't cop it in 07, there were too many cds on my album list to keep up with!!
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I Was one of them 500!!! Amazing! i copped this after hearing In rememberence of me in the summer of 2008!! Life changingly good album!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Havent bought a cd in like 7 years. I live in alaska and almost all of our cd retail stores were bought out. we have one indie music place but they dont have alot of hip hop. I could get them online but when i was young i spent soooooo much money on cd's i wish i could get in the habit of doing it again but i gotta focus on me haha. If the artist does a show i would pay to see that. maybe get a t shirt. I used to have over 500 dollars worth of cd's but some jack ass stole it out of my locker in highschool. Ruined my life but then the Ipod and Rar files became big.

I hear ya, but I'm back into buying online, although it costs a fortune to import them here. I'm buying in bulk every 3 months if I can… it'll be my treat, I just need to be careful because Lushlife's Cassette City just came back in stock and I'm tempted to go and buy more :/ Definitely gotta look after yourself in these days and times though :tu
    traestar wrote: »
    Funny what sharing information could do, and how a re-issue would impact a album sale.
    At this rate, I believe Blu and Exile would probably reach platinum if not already.

Nah, I still have to get this and other CDs! I didn't cop it in 07, there were too many cds on my album list to keep up with!!

LOL @ Platinum, I don't quite think it'll ever reach that unless Blu hit Nas status and everyone looked at it with revere.

Yeah, definitely, it's out of stock now again. Props on the info about it though, as I bought it when the re-issue dropped :tu
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    I Was one of them 500!!! Amazing! i copped this after hearing In rememberence of me in the summer of 2008!! Life changingly good album!!

You mean you bought it last month or the month before? Or that you bought it back in 2008? 'Cos in 2008 it probably sold a lot more than 500, the 500 is just these last two months via UGHH! Liking the new Av :tu
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    album is an undeniable classic bro
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Great album only 1 or 2 skippable songs. Its a classic.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    daboyag1 wrote: »
    album is an undeniable classic bro

Album of the year most definitely, I hope that it'll stand the tests of time… but with results like this on an underground store, I think that it's likely now that it's a classic.
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    Great album only 1 or 2 skippable songs. Its a classic.

Is a top, top album… glad I copped it when it was in stock. That Lushlife's Cassette City has just came back into stock…. really tempted to go and purchase that now too.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Dope debut album, when's he coming out with a new one?
    That Jesus Ep... I only listened to once cos it didn't have replay value for me
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Dope debut album, when's he coming out with a new one?
    That Jesus Ep... I only listened to once cos it didn't have replay value for me

I still don't really understand what the Jesus EP was, but it's got a release date in itself so I'm just going to cop it…

His album is going to be called NoYork, it's slated to come out this year (according to Wiki), but we'll just have to hope…
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited July 2011
    definately a classic...can't wait for some new stuff to drop though
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    I'm sure there will be another re-issue after his major label release drops.

He might never do Nas or Jay numbers, but Blu is gonna be one of those slow burners as more and more people check his music.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    I'm sure there will be another re-issue after his major label release drops.

He might never do Nas or Jay numbers, but Blu is gonna be one of those slow burners as more and more people check his music.

He's on the up if How I Got Over's features are anything to come by… but otherwise, he's been lukewarm (IMO) since this release, he needs to up it for NoYork! Can't wait for that to drop!!!
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited August 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    He's on the up if How I Got Over's features are anything to come by… but otherwise, he's been lukewarm (IMO) since this release, he needs to up it for NoYork! Can't wait for that to drop!!!

You didnt like J&J, Her Favorite Colo(u)r or the any of the mixtape stuff?
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    You didnt like J&J, Her Favorite Colo(u)r or the any of the mixtape stuff?

I've listened to CRAC Knuckles project, Her Favorite colo(u)r as well; and then other random tracks I've stumbled across… I really liked Her Favorite colo(u)r, but I saw it as more of a producer project, unless the re-release is different? I got it after CRAC Knuckles dropped, which I felt was lukewarm to good, rather than anything more than that…

He really showed off his skills though with How I Got Over and of course, the bar for him to impress is higher than most who are readying their first solo LP. I hope that he delivers… and after his collaborations with The Roots, I'd think most will be expecting that he will….
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited August 2011
    I've listened to CRAC Knuckles project, Her Favorite colo(u)r as well; and then other random tracks I've stumbled across… I really liked Her Favorite colo(u)r, but I saw it as more of a producer project, unless the re-release is different? I got it after CRAC Knuckles dropped, which I felt was lukewarm to good, rather than anything more than that…

He really showed off his skills though with How I Got Over and of course, the bar for him to impress is higher than most who are readying their first solo LP. I hope that he delivers… and after his collaborations with The Roots, I'd think most will be expecting that he will….

Yeah I've noticed that its tough for rappers who come out the gate with a classic record to match those expectations on their follow ups. I got the original Her Favorite Colo(u)r so I dont know if its different from the re-release. I'll admit Blu is his own worst enemy with the quality of some of the stuff he's been letting go. The sound quality on Godlee Barnes and the eclectic feel of some of the stuff on J e s u s makes it hard to recommend him to first time listeners.

Check out the Soul Amazing mixtapes you can find them on filestube.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Signs of a true classic underground album? Following 4 years since its inception, Below The Heavens was finally restocked over at UGHH and shot straight to the top of the charts… I got my copy, did you get yours? It sold out again, straight away and this is what UGHH had to say about it:

Crazy how much that release was going for on re-sale. Would be cool to not have the re-issue though.

Anyone got the original release? I was going to cop at the time, but I was a broke student in 2007 :lol:

Man im hating on you, I can never get that ALBUM!!!! i went UGHH and they are all out of stock!!!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Yeah I've noticed that its tough for rappers who come out the gate with a classic record to match those expectations on their follow ups. I got the original Her Favorite Colo(u)r so I dont know if its different from the re-release. I'll admit Blu is his own worst enemy with the quality of some of the stuff he's been letting go. The sound quality on Godlee Barnes and the eclectic feel of some of the stuff on J e s u s makes it hard to recommend him to first time listeners.

Check out the Soul Amazing mixtapes you can find them on filestube.

Yeah, I mean... it's an obviously high bar to set for yourself, especially when he owes a lot towards a producer (Exile) for the success and fluidity of that albums soundscape. It was a really definitive sound and he's worked with a variety for this next release, so we'll see what comes of it... as long as he approaches the beats with the confidence and penmanship he showed on How I Got Over, I'm sure he'll deliver...

Yeah, same, I had the original - there wasn't many bars on that release, if any, if I remember correctly? Was great little EP though.

J e s u s is being released in CD format over at UGHH soon, I looked for it online, but it was only like a 15mb download, is that right?

I'll check for them too!! Props :tu
    waterproof wrote: »
    Man im hating on you, I can never get that ALBUM!!!! i went UGHH and they are all out of stock!!!!!

LOL Traestar did alert us all when it dropped, quite a few picked it up!! UGHH sound like they want as many copies as they can get though, have you signed up to be notified by them? Their service works really well...
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Complete classic.
  • Platinum Falcon
    Platinum Falcon Members Posts: 28
    edited August 2011
    Album's dope. I got my original copy, I also copped that Her Favorite Col(u)r Blu album, and that Quarterwatersupporter, but they don't compare to Below the Heavens. Blu and Exile need to put out more stuff, Sene is pretty good too but he just don't do it like the old duo.