How many of ya'll believe karma is the reason bad things happen to people?

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I get the newspaper for free in my job, and I always chat with the newspaper guy, a former drug dealer. He told me Sunday he believes the reason his first born daughter was diagnosed with autism is due to her having bad karma. I asked what did he mean and he said his daughter probably did something ? up in a past life, like maybe being a murderer or.....get this....drug dealer lol. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and later talked to my co-worker about this, and he said he agreed with him!

So I wanna know how common this belief system is.....if something randomly bad happens to someone, is it because they did something bad in a past life?

Cuz with this theory, if I kidnap someone from the street and make them my sex slave for 18 years, technically, they deserve it.......right? For the record, I think this belief is ? , cuz the descendants of England's royal family are living great while their ancestors were slave traders, thieves, and murderers.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Oh yeah, he also said the people of Somalia deserve the famines because their ancestors likely were evil people, lol......how many of ya'll really believe this??? I wont judge, I just want to know.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't think Karma has anything to do with good or bad things happening to people. If it was, it would even make people wreck their brains wondering if they done enough good to deserve good Karma...especially if you are doing good and bad things happen anyway.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe in the concept of reincarnation, but I do believe in the theory of "natural balance". Meaning you get back what you put out and the "bigger picture" concept.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    His daughter might be afflicted because of a decision he made, like getting her vaccinated or ruining his DNA structure due to riotous, unhealthy living.

What he described is not really karma that is fairy tale foolishness. That reincarnation concept is imo an innovation and a misunderstanding of what those early adherants meant. Karma is really the law of cause and effect. If he said that the society dynamics caused the ailment then maybe yeah.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i get the newspaper for free in my job, and i always chat with the newspaper guy, a former drug dealer. He told me sunday he believes the reason his first born daughter was diagnosed with autism is due to her having bad karma. I asked what did he mean and he said his daughter probably did something ? up in a past life, like maybe being a murderer or.....get this....drug dealer lol. I couldn't believe what i was hearing and later talked to my co-worker about this, and he said he agreed with him!

So i wanna know how common this belief system is.....if something randomly bad happens to someone, is it because they did something bad in a past life?

Cuz with this theory, if i kidnap someone from the street and make them my sex slave for 18 years, technically, they deserve it.......right? For the record, i think this belief is ? , cuz the descendants of england's royal family are living great while their ancestors were slave traders, thieves, and murderers.

something "she" did?!?!?!? Wow ok

it was probly somehthing he or his girl did or some physical condition in their family blood..

I dont know about karma.. But i do know about you reap what u sew... So.. U do bad stuff bad stuff gone happen to you ...

You do good, good is gone come back to you
  • DRO
    edited August 2011
    Options
    oh yeah, he also said the people of somalia deserve the famines because their ancestors likely were evil people, lol......how many of ya'll really believe this??? I wont judge, i just want to know.

naw.. Famines are just one of the terrible things that have to happen.... It aint over either...
  • DRO
    edited August 2011
    Options
    im betting there's no such thing, as karma...

? has little concern for whatever happens to us, in life, for it is how we handle it that matters to ?

why u say that?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Karma is really the law of cause and effect. If he said that the society dynamics caused the ailment then maybe yeah.

exactly.........
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    edeeesq wrote: »
    I don't necessarily believe in the concept of reincarnation, but I do believe in the theory of "natural balance". Meaning you get back what you put out and the "bigger picture" concept.

I agree to a large extent but I sometimes wonder if there is even a natural balance in the universe. In the long term, things do seem to curve towards "good" or harmony, but what about war criminals who live like kings and queens?

George W Bush helped ? hundreds of thousands of civilians in Iraq for no good reason, and yet he's a millionaire living the high life with family who loves him. Meanwhile, Iraq is a total mess. Where's the natural balance in that situation?
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    His daughter might be afflicted because of a decision he made, like getting her vaccinated or ruining his DNA structure due to riotous, unhealthy living.

What he described is not really karma that is fairy tale foolishness. That reincarnation concept is imo an innovation and a misunderstanding of what those early adherants meant. Karma is really the law of cause and effect. If he said that the society dynamics caused the ailment then maybe yeah.

I def can agree with this. Cause and effect I can believe in, but to say a whole society is being punished due to the past actions of ancestors or a single individual dealing with autism or cancer because he or she may have been a serial killer in a past life seems silly and stupid to me. If that was true, than the royal family of England would all be a bunch of blubbering retards with Down Syndrome. We all know how involved with the slave trade and murders for hire Queen Elizabeth I was in, along with others......
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'll just quote myself:
    fiat_money wrote: »
    No, Karma is merely a concept derived from Indian reincarnation-based religion...
    fiat_money wrote: »
    ...I don't subscribe to any Indian religion myths, or any other religion myths for that matter.
  • And Step
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I agree to a large extent but I sometimes wonder if there is even a natural balance in the universe. In the long term, things do seem to curve towards "good" or harmony, but what about war criminals who live like kings and queens?

George W Bush helped ? hundreds of thousands of civilians in Iraq for no good reason, and yet he's a millionaire living the high life with family who loves him. Meanwhile, Iraq is a total mess. Where's the natural balance in that situation?

Many nations catch it because of what there rulers do. Sadam Hussein engaged in a war with Iran at the behest of the CIA that took nearly a million lives. Look what Iraq is suffering now. Some just catch it later, but it always catches up to you.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't believe in karma.

Also didn't we just have a thread in which it was established that there is no demonstrable link between vaccines and autism?
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

Real Talk people don't even no what Karma is.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited August 2011
    Options

To be fair, we have no idea what he is or isn't going thru. Look at how many politicians and celebrities and athletes get caught up in something or end up killing themselves due to the fame and power. Us regular folks think, "man if only I could have the money" and they could be thinking "man if only I could be normal". I mean, there's s a natural balance to things that we may or may not know about.

Now the dude talking about reincarnation is just a sick and selfish individual.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No.. Im not a believer in Karma.
    This is just another attempt to bring some sort of clarity to an other wise random set of circumstances by way of some sort of supernatural force.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No.. Im not a believer in Karma.
    This is just another attempt to bring some sort of clarity to an other wise random set of circumstances by way of some sort of supernatural force.

This
  • And Step
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I don't believe in karma.

Also didn't we just have a thread in which it was established that there is no demonstrable link between vaccines and autism?

No, you just made up your mind to ignore the obvious, lol.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No, you just made up your mind to ignore the obvious, lol.

I'd love to read a peer reviewed study that demonstrates that obvious link. I assume you are familiar with those texts so feel free to recommend one to me.

You should revisit that thread btw, it was a good one as I recall, I even changed my mind at the end.