You May Be Part Neanderthal, Scientists Say...

Options
Fazeem_Blackall
Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Social Lounge
You May Be Part Neanderthal, Scientists Say

Published July 18, 2011

Is there a little Fred Flintstone in you?
According to a new genetic analysis, some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals -- but it's found exclusively in people outside Africa.
The ancestors of Neanderthals left Africa about 400,000 to 800,000 years ago. They evolved over the millennia mostly in what are now France, Spain, Germany and Russia, and went extinct (or were simply absorbed into the modern human population) about 30,000 years ago.
The ancestors of early modern humans left Africa about 80,000 to 50,000 years ago, according to DiscoveryNews.com. Despite that wide spread in time, genetic material from Neanderthals still can be found in a piece of DNA (called a haplotype) in the human X chromosome -- meaning the two clearly mated.
"This confirms recent findings suggesting that the two populations interbred," says Dr. Labuda. His team places the timing of such intimate contacts and family ties early on, probably at the crossroads of the Middle East.
Neanderthals possessed the gene for language and had sophisticated music, art and tool craftsmanship skills, so they must have not been all that unattractive to modern humans at the time, DiscoveryNews.com noted.
"There is little doubt that this haplotype is present because of mating with our ancestors and Neanderthals," Nick Patterson of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard University told DiscoveryNews.com. He added, "This is a very nice result, and further analysis may help determine more details."
Read more about Neanderthals at DiscoveryNews.com.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yeah yeah when are they going to tell me how/why I have Rh- blood.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That's cool, wouldn't bother me
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The first sentence in the article is incorrect. The study shows that lots of Africans also have the Neanderthal DNA.

Of course this shouldn't even be an issue, since Neanderthals are from Africa to begin with.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u21cavp5uf9jsbi

^Link to the study, if you're interested in reading it.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    here's a post i've shamelessly stolen from SOHH

Every forum I have seen this posted on has turned into a sht-show.

A few things to consider, this comes from a black man that dislikes whites on a collective level but doesn't really hate them personally, if it means anything :

1) Neanderthals were no less intelligent or organized than humans of the time. They had tools. Art. All of the goodies. Fossil evidence shows religious rituals, they buried their dead and possibly had some sort of ceremony.

And before some troll comes up and says "A belief in religion doesn't prove they were intelligent, ATHEIST POWER"...I'm an atheist as well. However, religious beliefs show a specific level of cognition that lesser animals simple do not have : Abstract thought and cognizance.

2) DNA evidence shows that it was Sapien-Neanderthal MEN impregnating Sapien-Sapien WOMEN. NOT the other way around. Take from it what you will.

3) You'll hear some whites say "Neanderthals had bigger heads and bigger brains, they were smarter and WE are smarter". These people need to take an intro to Neurology. It is a brain's underlying organization and molecular activity at its synapses that dictates intelligence. We don't really know much about how these guys thought, what their brain was like, etc. We probably never will. Regardless, people who are trying to use this evidence to push their own agenda are full of it.

4) If Neanderthals stopped being competitive because of encounters with humans, it probably had less to do with size, speed, or smarts...and more to do with communication. You see, when you look at the bones in their throats, it looks as though these guys, for as tough as they were, could only pronounce a few syllables. Imagine a battles, one side is giving out advanced coordinates, the other side is like.....

The way their bodies were shaped, they also probably needed like 5000 calories a day just to eat....5000 cals a day, in fcking arctic conditions.....with a new group coming along that wants the same food source but that needs a lot less of it.

It seems their "demise" was a mixture of them simply dying out, with a small bit of breeding involved. People who think that "non-Africans" are now like some new species or some sht are out of their minds. The fact that we are still 99 percent identical on a genetic level remains the same, regardless of who does or who does not have a few different ancestors in their line.

5) As has been noted...it's very likely the most of the African Diaspora has some of this ancestry as well. Due to our history in "the new world", we certainly aren't some isolated tribe that has never been up in some white pssy/had white dck forced upon us.

6) There is so much to this story that we do not, and probably never will, know. For all we know, there could have been other groups. During this period, in different parts of the world, that may also have bred with humans, that we simply have not discovered.

Idiots talk about "the missing link"....but there are probably *many* hominids that we simply have not/can not find.

Check this, just found in 2004 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/? _floresiensis Is it possible that their are people out there, right now, who share ancestry with this group? Who can say?

The fossil record most certainly proves evolution, but it will never been 100 percent complete.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Scientists be late in the game. No wonder though. After all science was the one who told the world that the earth was flat. Science always playing Heinz 57 when it comes to truth and knowledge.

Neanderthals are human beings, point blank end of statement.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Africans arent
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The first sentence in the article is incorrect. The study shows that lots of Africans also have the Neanderthal DNA.

Of course this shouldn't even be an issue, since Neanderthals are from Africa to begin with.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u21cavp5uf9jsbi

^Link to the study, if you're interested in reading it.

Get out of here with that devil talk, Africans have no Caveman in them you cavedwella. We knew for centuries that europeans are from neatherdals, euroepans was living in caves sleepin and eating in yall own ? , sharing food with wild animals, caveman was having sex with animals. Crawlin on all fours tongue was bind until the black man ran into the cave dwellas and try to civilize them and to this day we still try to civilize them. the black man had homes, cultures, knowledge of Yah, science, math, art, language living civilize.

But when Elijah Muhammad told yall about your historys, yall damn near ? on yourself! Calling him a lie now science prove yall Caveman, Yall start tellin lies again that caveman was civilize, yall always trying to change history.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    dam no wonder craccaz so fond of us, they trying to put monkey dna in all of us.....?
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Confirmed: All non-African people are part Neanderthal
    Alasdair Wilkins — The evidence has been mounting for years that early humans and Neanderthals interbred, but now it's pretty much a certainty. Part of the X chromosome found in people from outside Africa originally comes from our Neanderthal cousins.
    It's kind of amazing to think that, as recently as just a few years ago, the scientific consensus was that humans and Neanderthals were completely separate species and probably didn't interbreed. Since then, a ton of new evidence has come to light to change that position, and now new research from Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal more or less completes this big reversal.

Neanderthals, one of the last extant hominid species other than our own, left Africa somewhere between 400,000 and 800,000 years ago and settled mostly in Europe until they went extinct 30,000 years ago. Early modern humans left Africa about 80,000 to 50,000 years ago, meaning they overlapped with Neanderthals in time and place for at least 20,000 years. On an evolutionary time scale, that's not a ton of time, but could it be enough to leave lasting evidence of human/Neanderthal interbreeding?

According to Dr. Labuda, the answer is an emphatic "yes." Back in the early '00s, he and his team had identified a particular piece of DNA in the human X chromosome that seemed out of place with everything else, and they wondered whether it might have originated from a non-human source.

That answer came with the first sequencing of the Neanderthal genome last year. Dr. Labuda compared 6,000 chromosomes from all over the world to the corresponding part of the Neanderthal sequence. With the exception of people from sub-Saharan Africa - whose ancestors would have been unlikely to come into contact with Neanderthals, since their territories didn't overlap - every chromosome featured evidence of the Neanderthal sequence.

That even includes particularly far-flung groups of humans like native Australians, who are thought to have reached the island continent by as far back as 40,000 years ago. For that sequence to show up even in such geographically isolated groups, it suggests that there was a lot of interbreeding between the two hominid species, and that pretty much all ancient humans that left Africa passed through Neanderthal territory and had close interaction (read: a ton of sex) with their evolutionary cousins.

Here are some reactions from other scientists to Dr. Labuda's breakthrough:

Dr. Nick Patterson, MIT and Harvard:

"There is little doubt that this haplotype is present because of mating with our ancestors and Neanderthals. This is a very nice result, and further analysis may help determine more details."

Dr. David ? , Harvard Medical School:

"Dr. Labuda and his colleagues were the first to identify a genetic variation in non-Africans that was likely to have come from an archaic population. This was done entirely without the Neanderthal genome sequence, but in light of the Neanderthal sequence, it is now clear that they were absolutely right!"
  • Mr.Burns
    Mr.Burns Members Posts: 517
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So would I be considered a neaderthal.

My dad afro-cuban and my moms from italy. I aint no ? neanderthal right?

You def a neanderthal.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    just a few more Bumps so Kats really know What I am about...