treadmill vs. elliptical- what's the science?

marie addams
marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Weight Room
why do I (seemingly) burn more calories on the elliptical machine than I do on the treadmill when my body clearly works harder-or at least I feel like it's working harder on the treadmill? I feel like i'm doing more on the stair climber than the elliptical as well and that's pretty low impact. what's the science behind the elliptical machine that makes it burn more calories? :confused:

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    why do I (seemingly) burn more calories on the elliptical machine than I do on the treadmill when my body clearly works harder-or at least I feel like it's working harder on the treadmill? I feel like i'm doing more on the stair climber than the elliptical as well and that's pretty low impact. what's the science behind the elliptical machine that makes it burn more calories? :confused:

Well how are you working out on the treadmill? Do you walk, run, sprint, do HIIT? What kind of incline do you have it on? All those variables play into how many calories your burn. The elliptical machine also uses more muscle groups thats why you burn more calories. Depending on the Resistance you set it on also can increase the burn in calories.

I personally like to mix up my cardio daily. One day I will do the stairmaster, the next day i'll do HIIT, the next day i'll do the elliptical, the next day i'll hit the bike, and the next day i'll set the treadmill on 15 incline and walk at 4 mph pace. I vary my cardio from 30-45 minutes. I believe a good mixture gives your muscles shock and thus you burn more calories.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    on the treadmill...HIIT is GOAT