Tar Baby is not a term of endearment the last I checked

Options
altamonte
altamonte Members Posts: 4
edited August 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Okay readers, listen closely to what I'm about to repeat and tell me whether this quote came from the early 1900's or 2011.

"I don't want to be associated with him. It's like touching a tar baby, and you get it, you're stuck and you are a part of the problem and can't get away"

If you guessed the early 1900's then you would be absolutely incorrect. Yeah I know you thought you had the right answer but trivial can be tricky sometimes; especially when you have quotes that have words with derogatory connotations imbedded in them from the 1900's.

Read more:
http://www.bukisa.com/articles/531162_what-a-freudian-slip-congressman-lamborn

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I saw this a few days ago, and of course the dude who said it was like: "that's a racial term? I had no idea" or something like that. My whole thing is, if you're associated with an entity that is perceived to be racist, and you're primary opponent is a black guy, just watch your language because intentional or not people are gonna be like:sw50sw8sw578.gif
    ... Not that I'm so naive as to think that dude wasn't intentionally eluding to Obama's race.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No ? ! 1900's were saying tar baby? That's crazy!
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Give me mods powers dammit!!!!
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The "Tar Baby" is a myth from western Africa as well as a similar one among the Cherokee. In Africa several of the spider-tales centering on Anansi include the use of a 'gum' doll to induce a person into becoming angry. One story goes Anansi created a gum doll to capture Mmoatai the dwarf. Anansi placed the doll where the dwarf would play and placed a bowl of yams in front of it. The dwarf ate the yams and thanked the doll. When the doll did not replied the dwarf became insulted and struck the doll becoming caught.

Among the Cherokee the story centers on a Tar wolf and a rabbit. In this tale after becoming stuck other animals arrive to decide how to ? the rabbit. The rabbit is supportive of several of their suggestions but ask not to be thrown into a nearby thicket as that would be a slow agonizing death. The animals decide to do exactly that but the rabbit had tricked them as the thicket was the place he normally lived.

Both these myth were blended in the the Bre'r Rabbit story which uses the tar doll from the African tale and the crafty rabbit from the Cherokee tale. Unfortunately the popularity of the stories leads to the term tar baby being used as a racial derogatory thus ruining a perfectly good myth and term.