Question For My Canadian Folk: What's Canadian Life Like Compared to American Life?

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Social Lounge
Just a simple yet general question for all the Canadians who have lived in America. I love America but sometimes I feel like living in a more laid back and more peaceful nation. I have this idea that Canada is just like that: a more laid back and more peaceful version of America, but I don't know too much about Canada to know any truth to that.

I know it's cold as hell there though. And I have a few Canadian friends, but now that I think of it, they've never really given me a satisfactory answer. Though one has told me that Toronto is as bad as some of the "bad" cities in America, so I don't have any plans of moving to Toronto.

But if I do move, it's either going to be somewhere else in Canada, Hawaii, or maybe Sweden. Midwest America seems pretty nice, but boring (besides the obvious exceptions like Detroit and Chicago)

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Imo, Canada is like the naive innocent lil bro of America. Who needs war when ya got beer, bud, sports and outdoors.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    If you moving anywhere in Canada head over to Alberta or Saskatchewan you can easily double your income in those provinces especially if you have a degree, trade or some sort of experience.Back in 2004 Alberta was paying new citizens 5k to move there from populated cities like Toronto and Vancouver. Only problem is rent/housing is expensive down there but the average person makes double compared to those in populated cities. Other then cold weather during Nov-March you won't have to adapt to much....you will be making more money mos def and won't regret it.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver moving in the right directions more visible minorities and immigrants in those cities.

Winter last a good 5 months from Nov-End of March...plus weather is real similar to the upper east coast U.S

University tuition is cheaper and there a lot of academic institutions for ppl learning trades as people with trades (plumbers, electricians etc) make good money.

Way less crime in Toronto compared to other cities in the U.S with the similar population (Chicago/LA)

Poverty in Canada is different in Canada compared to the U.S the government actually pays these single mothers welfare, child tax benefits and other baby bonus.

Transportation is reliable no need for a car unless you live in the suburbs of a major city.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    sionb55 wrote: »
    - great beer
    - sports are HUGE out here especially Hockey
    now, maybe i am biased, but it seems to me like these aren't so much "pros" as "things that occur in both the US and Canada in equal measure"
    - hard as hell to get a gun permit
    also, you have clearly placed this on the wrong list. although you COULD list as a pro "willingness to scrap expensive gun control measures that don't do a damn thing"
    - Toronto is A LOT like New York, ppl are not all that nice
    what?! typical spoiled Canadian! Toronto is far nicer than New York
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ayo Sion,
    could you go in on this a lil bit more
    - if ur an immigrant ur gonna have to start over again (dont matter if u were a doctor or big name lawyer, they make u start over)
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    major props to everyone who took the time to drop some knowledge. now that i'm well informed, i'll have to think long and hard about this...
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Sionb is correct, but It's actually not as treacherous as it might've sounded...

because any US career or especially, Academia accomplishments, are regarded higher once transferred over into Canadian life...

Ex; community college degrees/Jr.. College degrees from USA, are treated like bachelor degrees in Canada

why would you have to start over if american degrees are held in higher regard???

he put that under con's of canada
  • JayToTheZ
    JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Just a simple yet general question for all the Canadians who have lived in America. I love America but sometimes I feel like living in a more laid back and more peaceful nation. I have this idea that Canada is just like that: a more laid back and more peaceful version of America, but I don't know too much about Canada to know any truth to that.

I know it's cold as hell there though. And I have a few Canadian friends, but now that I think of it, they've never really given me a satisfactory answer. Though one has told me that Toronto is as bad as some of the "bad" cities in America, so I don't have any plans of moving to Toronto.

But if I do move, it's either going to be somewhere else in Canada, Hawaii, or maybe Sweden. Midwest America seems pretty nice, but boring (besides the obvious exceptions like Detroit and Chicago)

The perfect place to live in Canada is in the Maritimes, like Halifax, Nova Scotia, And also New Brunswick is the best province, i used to live there!
  • JayToTheZ
    JayToTheZ Members Posts: 454
    edited August 2011
    Yey, but it's the pinnacle of White Privilege, in that area...why else would JayToTheZ even be hyped on it?......its just like The USA's far northeast territories.

Because its a beautiful place?
    And white privileges? Black people have the same rights as white people, and everybody is treated is the same. Stop trying to make ? up.....
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    sionb...you in T-dot?

...shout out to Bloor Street!

...I use to live on Gladstone, 4 houses from Dufferin Park/same side of the street as the high school there

lol FOH! Bloor & Dovercourt where I'm @. ? Dufferin Park and all them crab ? that be chillin there...
  • northside7
    edited August 2011
    You know a lil' Trinidad Breezie named "Sparkles". ...she on Dovercoourt off of Bloor

She a ? ? East Indian trini or African trini?

You used to rep crip?
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    it has like 800,000 blacks, i think it's more to2-3 %, isn't it?
  • northside7
    edited August 2011
    Naw, she was rapping around that way....lil' light skinned breezie with hard accent/forevering rapping about life in Trinidad

Naw I knew some niggz called 'Bloor Street Bullies' around that way/between DoverCourt and Dufferin....wiz, Mack, crossbow, ghost brothers, Winston hillz, you know any of them?

Never heard of them. Them ? aint out here like that.
  • aijalon
    aijalon Members Posts: 919
    edited August 2011
    Wife and I have been tentatively planning to move to Canada for some time now.
    Plan has more legs than ever now.
  • northside7
    edited August 2011
    aijalon wrote: »
    Wife and I have been tentatively planning to move to Canada for some time now.
    Plan has more legs than ever now.

Which part of Canada?