the fall of sony playstation: rise and fall...

Options
az holdin a baby
az holdin a baby Members Posts: 12
edited August 2011 in IllGaming
it all started with this

[video]http://youtu.be/IH2w2l1JTs4[/video]

before this ps2 was a beasting on all levels... games were bomb was cheap... and everyone had one...

this was the beginning of the end for ps

"599 US DOLLARS"

that was a horrible launch to a horrible system..... with microsoft already firing on all cylinders... with of course the magical and outstanding HALO 3......

with few games worth owning at launch and blu ray losing steam .... xbox live was also hitting its stride...
times got desperate....... for sony fans....

few hits here and there and then the info leaks... cant even play games online safetly anymore

from being in 1st to last place.... a sad day indeed

Comments

• Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ? eat a ? ,, you a sad focus wannabe
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hoe can they have fallen off when the PS3 is better than the Wii and 360? No console this generation is as good as the PS2.What are the last good exclusives for the Wii and 360?
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Hoe can they have fallen off when the PS3 is better than the Wii and 360? No console this generation is as good as the PS2.What are the last good exclusives for the Wii and 360?

correction...the PS3 is the better system NOT the better game console.......c/s PS2 runs ? ...LMAO @ PS3 still cant touch PS2
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    People still arguing about consoles. Damn!! White people still got y'all working for free.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    louis rich wrote: »
    correction...the PS3 is the better system NOT the better game console.......c/s PS2 runs ? ...LMAO @ PS3 still cant touch PS2

great comment.. thats how i feel.. yea PS3 has better performance, but as far as gaming, the 360 wins the battle...

i mean honestly.. if PSN wasnt free, how many ? would still only want a PS3?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    louis rich wrote: »

• funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    memphis10 wrote: »
    lol yall gotta admit the way that vid was edited was kinda funny...but complete bullish tho...I like ps3 and 360. 360 better for online, ps3 better for first party games and system only exclusives

Never understood this argument. It's one thing to say that XBL is better than PSN (Because it is) but how is 360 online better than PS3 online - it's the same ? . People be talking like PS3 lags or something when you online when it doesn't. And no, XBL is not the same as online. XBL is the setup, structure, features the 360 offers, online is just the connectivity part.
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Xbox 360 shipped nearly 14 million units over the last fiscal year for Microsoft as the business grew 45%. The console and the Kinect camera have clearly propelled Microsoft forward in 2011, but in the end, a number of analysts still see Sony's PS3 edging out Xbox 360 on a global scale (despite a year's head start for Microsoft in the console wars).

IndustryGamers surveyed several leading games business analysts to get their respective takes on the evolving console battle and who will end up in second place behind Nintendo's Wii. Here's what they had to say.

Jesse Divnich, EEDAR

The Xbox 360 does have a 5% lead over the PlayStation 3 worldwide, a minimal difference. We do know based on our consumer surveys that the replacement rate among Xbox 360s are slightly higher than the PlayStation 3 (The Nintendo DS is the highest, as it is expected for portable electronics). The PlayStation 3 was a tad bit more technologically "future proof" from the start compared to the Xbox 360.

I think if you weigh in those factors, the race is neck and neck.

Additionally, if one looks at the total amount of sales through the first 6 months of 2011, the PlayStation 3 has sold about 10% more than the Xbox 360, worldwide, so the PlayStation 3 is definitely gaining ground.

The PlayStation 3 is still incredibly successful and outselling its rivals overseas. In terms of the PlayStation 3's performance in North America, it is selling quite well and outperforming last year's sales. The problem is the Xbox 360, which has increased its velocity without the aid of any price cuts or redesigns over the last year. The Xbox 360's success is simply incredible. I won't lie, it has consistently beaten my models over the last few months--the folks at Microsoft remind me every month. The only reasoning that seems plausible is the Kinect or the strength of its software library has reached some sort of tipping point making the Xbox 360 an incredible value to consumers at its current price points.

With the crucial holiday season ahead, I can only suggest that we wait until 2012 before I throw in the towel on my previous prediction.

Billy Pidgeon, M2 Research

Xbox 360 has had tremendous success and the hardware continues to sell into the ? and mainstream markets. While I had anticipated a high Kinect sales performance and Kinect had some effect on selling in new consoles, the continued strength of Xbox 360 console hardware sell through has been surprisingly high even when factoring in a high replacement rate. On the other hand, Xbox 360s that haven't been replaced due to failure are for the most part very active, and many replaced Xbox 360s have cycled back in to active use as hand-me-downs and through the secondary market.

I still think PS3 has potential to ramp up hardware sales performance based on a stronger first party software library and more affordable hardware, but PS3 got off to a very slow start due to high price and fewer first party software hits than the competition. Hardware price was the bigger problem in the recent economic downturn when Xbox had a lead on production cost reduction and the launch price on Wii was extremely disruptive.

Should Microsoft release a successor to Xbox 360 and shift the pipeline for ? games over to the new consoles, that would be a possible scenario by which PS3 could bypass Xbox 360's active installed base. This scenario would give PS3 the opportunity to soak up the ? sector.

As for second place, as far as the ? market is concerned, I'd say PS3 is a strong contender for that position. While most PS3s sold in are active, Wii's active installed base is far lower than cumulative sales. Nintendo's first party software largely targets Wii's ? sector, while third party software performance on Wii remains soft and the mainstream sector has largely abandoned Wii.

David Cole, DFC Intelligence

In terms of our forecasts, we have the PS3 sales matching Xbox 360 in 2011 but that still leaves them behind in cumulative sales. However, when we measure what we call active installed base or number of systems in use we forecast that the PS3 will reach the Xbox 360 this year. This is because the failure rate on many older Xbox 360 systems was high. I know personally I have gone through 3 Xbox 360 systems and still have my original PS3.

Obviously the U.S. is a totally different story. We think when all is said and done the Xbox 360 will sell more than the PS3 in the U.S. However, it is a different story in Europe and very different in Japan.

In the U.S. the Xbox 360 has been amazing as it had its best year in its fifth full year of release (2010) and we expect its sixth year (2011) to be its second best.

Colin Sebastian, RW Baird

As it stands today, Xbox is still enjoying the positive tailwinds from Kinect and Xbox Live, which are still considered a step above the equivalent Sony offerings. However, as quickly as the tide changes in the video game industry, you would never want to count the PS3 out - for instance, if Sony combined a strong first party lineup (e.g. Uncharted/Resistance) with another hardware price reduction, I believe we would see a nice pick-up in unit sales this fall.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-10-ahead-of-360-this-year-worldwide-strong-contender-to-take-second-place/
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    Xbox 360 shipped nearly 14 million units over the last fiscal year for Microsoft as the business grew 45%. The console and the Kinect camera have clearly propelled Microsoft forward in 2011, but in the end, a number of analysts still see Sony's PS3 edging out Xbox 360 on a global scale (despite a year's head start for Microsoft in the console wars).

IndustryGamers surveyed several leading games business analysts to get their respective takes on the evolving console battle and who will end up in second place behind Nintendo's Wii. Here's what they had to say.

Jesse Divnich, EEDAR

The Xbox 360 does have a 5% lead over the PlayStation 3 worldwide, a minimal difference. We do know based on our consumer surveys that the replacement rate among Xbox 360s are slightly higher than the PlayStation 3 (The Nintendo DS is the highest, as it is expected for portable electronics). The PlayStation 3 was a tad bit more technologically "future proof" from the start compared to the Xbox 360.

I think if you weigh in those factors, the race is neck and neck.

Additionally, if one looks at the total amount of sales through the first 6 months of 2011, the PlayStation 3 has sold about 10% more than the Xbox 360, worldwide, so the PlayStation 3 is definitely gaining ground.

The PlayStation 3 is still incredibly successful and outselling its rivals overseas. In terms of the PlayStation 3's performance in North America, it is selling quite well and outperforming last year's sales. The problem is the Xbox 360, which has increased its velocity without the aid of any price cuts or redesigns over the last year. The Xbox 360's success is simply incredible. I won't lie, it has consistently beaten my models over the last few months--the folks at Microsoft remind me every month. The only reasoning that seems plausible is the Kinect or the strength of its software library has reached some sort of tipping point making the Xbox 360 an incredible value to consumers at its current price points.

With the crucial holiday season ahead, I can only suggest that we wait until 2012 before I throw in the towel on my previous prediction.

Billy Pidgeon, M2 Research

Xbox 360 has had tremendous success and the hardware continues to sell into the ? and mainstream markets. While I had anticipated a high Kinect sales performance and Kinect had some effect on selling in new consoles, the continued strength of Xbox 360 console hardware sell through has been surprisingly high even when factoring in a high replacement rate. On the other hand, Xbox 360s that haven't been replaced due to failure are for the most part very active, and many replaced Xbox 360s have cycled back in to active use as hand-me-downs and through the secondary market.

I still think PS3 has potential to ramp up hardware sales performance based on a stronger first party software library and more affordable hardware, but PS3 got off to a very slow start due to high price and fewer first party software hits than the competition. Hardware price was the bigger problem in the recent economic downturn when Xbox had a lead on production cost reduction and the launch price on Wii was extremely disruptive.

Should Microsoft release a successor to Xbox 360 and shift the pipeline for ? games over to the new consoles, that would be a possible scenario by which PS3 could bypass Xbox 360's active installed base. This scenario would give PS3 the opportunity to soak up the ? sector.

As for second place, as far as the ? market is concerned, I'd say PS3 is a strong contender for that position. While most PS3s sold in are active, Wii's active installed base is far lower than cumulative sales. Nintendo's first party software largely targets Wii's ? sector, while third party software performance on Wii remains soft and the mainstream sector has largely abandoned Wii.

David Cole, DFC Intelligence

In terms of our forecasts, we have the PS3 sales matching Xbox 360 in 2011 but that still leaves them behind in cumulative sales. However, when we measure what we call active installed base or number of systems in use we forecast that the PS3 will reach the Xbox 360 this year. This is because the failure rate on many older Xbox 360 systems was high. I know personally I have gone through 3 Xbox 360 systems and still have my original PS3.

Obviously the U.S. is a totally different story. We think when all is said and done the Xbox 360 will sell more than the PS3 in the U.S. However, it is a different story in Europe and very different in Japan.

In the U.S. the Xbox 360 has been amazing as it had its best year in its fifth full year of release (2010) and we expect its sixth year (2011) to be its second best.

Colin Sebastian, RW Baird

As it stands today, Xbox is still enjoying the positive tailwinds from Kinect and Xbox Live, which are still considered a step above the equivalent Sony offerings. However, as quickly as the tide changes in the video game industry, you would never want to count the PS3 out - for instance, if Sony combined a strong first party lineup (e.g. Uncharted/Resistance) with another hardware price reduction, I believe we would see a nice pick-up in unit sales this fall.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-10-ahead-of-360-this-year-worldwide-strong-contender-to-take-second-place/

A lot of great points in this article. But at this point, a lot of people already either have a PS3 or Xbox360, so another PS3 price drop wouldn't really make much of a difference at this stage in the game. Unless it was a dramatic one and they start selling the PS3 for 199.99 which they never will do until a new Playstation have been announced. 299.99 is about the lowest we will see the PS3.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The thing i'm mad about with PS3, every since the hacking, I can't log into my PSN account or even change it online.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    The thing i'm mad about with PS3, every since the hacking, I can't log into my PSN account or even change it online.

You live overseas?
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Naw, I live in the states, found out it affect some because I didn't use the account that often.
  • az holdin a baby
    edited July 2011
    Options
    so what you are saying is the ps2 is better than the ps3 i agree.. and for those who said lbj is goat i agree..!! GEARS oF War 3coming soon
  • VulcanRaven
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    great comment.. thats how i feel.. yea PS3 has better performance, but as far as gaming, the 360 wins the battle...

i mean honestly.. if PSN wasnt free, how many ? would still only want a PS3?

What a ? comment.I bought the PS3 for the games which are exclusive.I don't even play games online so PSN being free does not matter to me.How the ? can the 360 be better for gaming when their best games minus Gears are also on the PS3 and can be played for free? Live does not make games magically better and single player will always be the foundation which the 360 lacks.Some of yall really need to get off MS ? and recognize the 360 for the overrated,generic and ? console it is.Let go of the hype for Live and open your eyes.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Never understood this argument. It's one thing to say that XBL is better than PSN (Because it is) but how is 360 online better than PS3 online - it's the same ? . People be talking like PS3 lags or something when you online when it doesn't. And no, XBL is not the same as online. XBL is the setup, structure, features the 360 offers, online is just the connectivity part.

Exactly and nothing on Live is worth the price.That's a fact.I buy consoles for the games and no console this generation is on par with the PS3.They have more exclusives,more variety and at least PSN is better than the Wii while the 360 can not touch them with first party.So as I said,PS3 = better console period.It's not rocket science man.People can prefer the xbox or the wii which is fine.Just like people might prefer Wayne over Lupe,but that does not make the former better and popularity is about marketability which leads to sales which are irrelevant.People are judging the console by sales and hype instead of the quality of the product.Why do people still buy the 360? Just to play COD because it is somehow better on Live? So without Live why would anyone buy the 360?
  • Sym_
    Sym_ Members Posts: 842
    edited July 2011
    Options
    ps3 is a solid console, regardless what sony did MS was gonna make a dent in the market the company is too dominant

there was no real "winner" for this gen, financially the wii one but that system sucked...game selection wise ps3 wasnt much better than xbox (Up for debate, personally i'd go with ps3)

but in the end i got a ps3 for the blue ray lol
  • az holdin a baby
    edited August 2011
    Options
    so with the mighty have fallen and lbj is goat. its conclusive.. ps3 still sucks
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    technically speaking the ps3 is better thats a fact that NOBODY can dispute

anything outside of that is simply a matter of preference

i have all 3 consoles and prob play my 360 the most simply cuz its modded...but i prefer the ps3...doesnt make either one better

theres no real winner except the ppl who own all 3 consoles
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yo PS3 is that grown man ? ...

? a 360 honkyville console...
  • renzoantwan
    renzoantwan Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    T/S is a fanboy for real! But for real who care, if you can afford both, like me, its a win win situation. Just get money.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Yo PS3 is that grown man ? ...

? a 360 honkyville console...

360 = teen racists
    ps3= middle aged racists.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    King Drew wrote: »
    360 = teen racists

lol ok this is kinda true
  • VulcanRaven
    edited August 2011
    Options
    One thing though,the PS3 has sold over 50 mil so now all Sony hardware has sold over 50 making them the only company in the history to reach the 50 mil mark with consoles.The 64,Game Cube and Xbox1 all failed to sell 30 mil.The PS3 has already outsold the SNES,but Sony has fallen off? ? .Ain't no brand in gaming stronger. Yeah it might be nice to own all consoles,but what would I play on the 350 that I can not get on the PS3? What was the last good game for the Wii?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    360 = teen racists

wii = feminists & peta members
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    360 = teen racists

lol! For real doe, I don't have the constant ? like the Live Network does...