LOOKS LIKE ITS A WRAP FOR GHADAFFI (Tripoli falling, Qadaffi fleeing w/ sons?)

Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Social Lounge
Did I mention that intervention cost the U.S $1 billion dollars total lol?

With unexpected swiftness, the ill-trained and ill-equipped rebels from the western mountains this week overtook much of the strategic coastal town of Zawiyah, with its enormous oil refinery, just 30 miles west of Tripoli. By Friday they had also taken Gharyan, an important outpost along the trade route to the south. Qaddafi troops had concentrated in both towns, and their retreat in the face of the amateurish rebels raised new doubts about the loyalist forces’ will and cohesion.

As a result of those victories, most of the main roads that had supplied Tripoli have been closed. The city’s residents, accustomed to soaring food prices, weeklong waits for gas and long electrical blackouts, say they are now coping with a crime wave and uncollected garbage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/world/africa/20qaddafi.html?_r=2&hp

"unexpected"? clearly they must all be CIA agents, since Libyans are obviously too stupid to beat Gädafffee's armies on the ground themselves. LOL yes I'm talkin ?

Muammar Gaddafi's 41-year grip on power in Libya looked more precarious than ever on Friday night, as rebel forces advanced on the capital from three directions after breaking out of the once-besieged town of Misrata.

With rebels taking control of the coastal town of Zlitan in the east, those in the west claimed to have made progress clearing out the last pro-Gaddafi troops from Zawiyah, 30 miles west of Tripoli. They now have the main coastal road under pressure on both sides of the capital and also under threat from the Nafusa mountains.

Gaddafi's army outside Tripoli is trapped in a series of besieged and shrinking enclaves, with rebels controlling more than two thirds of the country. And as the stranglehold on the capital tightens, plans are being made to evacuate the last remaining foreign workers by sea.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/19/tripoli-facing-advance-libya-rebels

DAMN THAT OBAMA

The rebel forces are racking up an impressive series of wins, decisively taking Zlitan, Surman and Brega on Friday into Saturday morning. Qaddafi is increasingly surrounded and cut off from fuel and other supplies. NATO has visited substantial attrition on his heavy weaponry and armor, which he had used to attack his own people. Dissidents in the towns surrounding Tripoli and in the capital itself are reportedly beginning to take heart and to plan their own uprisings and guerrilla actions. Zlitan was taken with the help of rebels within the city, e.g. I was struck, on seeing Aljazeera’s on the scene footage from the center of Zlitan, by how the victorious rebels spoke of themselves as the conquering “youth.” And they did look young, just teenagers or early 20s. That is the answer to the question often asked abroad, about who the rebels are. This is a youth revolution above all. They are a cross-section of the country’s young people.

http://www.juancole.com/2011/08/qaddafi-rule-collapsing-as-rebels-take-brega-zlitan.html

ohhh nooo poor gaaadddafffi, being oppressed by those mean young people who are ungrateful for his family dictatorship. they must all be Al-Qaeda, amirite And Step?

richardengelnbc Richard Engel

#mousa ibrahim, gov't spokesman says #tripoli is safe.. and highway from east-to-west under control (which it is not)

massive amounts of gunfire in air.. reports rebels started assault on #tripoli

reports of fightng in souq al jumaa, feshloum, tajoura, zawit al-dahmani in #tripoli

rebels report fighting in at least three #tripoli neighborhoods

matthewwprice Matthew Price
by richardengelnbc
Lot of heavy gunfire and explosions now being heard at #Rixos from Northerly direction. Ie towards centre #Tripoli #Libya

rebel commander tells NBC NEWS "Zero hour is beginning now"

jricole Juan Cole

@seedsown Can't confirm Gaddafi has fled from any reliable source, but all hell has broken loose in Tripoli #Libya #Feb17 #Gaddafi

BENGHAZI, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- The Libyan rebel fighters took control of a weapons depot in the capital of Tripoli where demonstrations took place in several blocks, the rebel-controlled Libya TV said on Saturday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-08/21/c_131063416.htm

^^^ - i know all Western news sources are controlled by Jews/Illuminati so maybe yall will believe Chinese news

Explosions and sustained gunfire have been heard in parts of Tripoli, as rebels close in on the Libyan capital. A BBC correspondent in the city says it sounded like exchange of fire rather than celebratory gunshots...

The BBC's Matthew Price in Tripoli says the momentum is clearly against Col Gaddafi and his supporters. Our correspondent says that the rebels now have better weaponry. He adds that either pro-Gaddafi forces have pulled back in places like Zlitan in order to prepare for a fresh offensive or, after months of Nato air strikes, elements of the army may simply be too weak to fight on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14605391

HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY GET BETTER GUNS, THEY MUST ALL BE ISRAELI AGENTS, B

BENGHAZI, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- The Libyan rebel fighters took control of a weapons depot in the capital of Tripoli where demonstrations took place in several blocks, the rebel-controlled Libya TV said on Saturday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-08/21/c_131063416.htm

O WAIT, I ALREADY POSTED THAT INFO

Libya%20pic.JPG

? talk that revolution ? when all they do is play C.O.D, meanwhile Libyans are actually riding for they freedom

and these same laptop guerillas got the NERVE to diss these real revolutionaries?

? outta here....

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Gaddafi's departure would certainly cost Libya in the swag department

EDIT: also lol at this thread
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ieNgu1QWe.jpg

"Oh ? , oh ? , oh ? ! ? !"
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Did I mention that intervention cost the U.S $1 billion dollars total lol?
    well, you can't steal all of Libya's oil for AMERICA ? YEAH if you don't spend a couple of dollars to do so
    "unexpected"? clearly they must all be CIA agents, since Libyans are obviously too stupid to beat Gädafffee's armies on the ground themselves. LOL yes I'm talkin ?
    one thing i learned from the internet is that a country cannot have rebels armed with more than cricket bats and knives unless they're CIA-armed or terrorists of some sort. THESE ARE NOT CIVILIANS and all that
    Libya%20pic.JPG
    on a more serious note, what this Libyan conflict makes me think EVERY DAMN DAY is "man, why don't i already own a FAL"
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Unconfirmed reports of Qadaffi's death....

MapWestLibyaAug20.png

ChangeInLibya 9:25am via web People are resorting to blocking their streets WITH THEIR OWN CARS just to prevent Gdfi's patrols frm coming in SITUATION IS TERRIBLE #libya

ChangeInLibya 9:24am via web
    LOCAL REVOLUTIONARIES control many parts of Tripoli but THEY WILL NOT repel AA guns/tanks with Ak47s HELP MUST COME FROM OUTSIDE FF #libya

^^^^^^ - U.S IMPERIALISM!!!!!!!!!!

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I can think of a BILLION things America could have spent its money on instead of this war. I'm gonna be laughing my ass off when these rebels eventually turn against America, as the Iraqis, Pakistanis, and Afghans are doing as we speak. Anyway, congrats to the rebels, let's see how quickly they turn against America lol
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Don't think he's dead, but his regime is done for!
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    I can think of a BILLION things America could have spent its money on instead of this war........ Anyway, congrats to the rebels,

so you're happy Libya overthrew its dictator but you're mad America helped financially
  • stillmatic_01
    stillmatic_01 Members Posts: 113
    edited August 2011
    unconfirmed reports state that one of his sons were capture by rebel forces
  • stillmatic_01
    stillmatic_01 Members Posts: 113
    edited August 2011
    can't stay in power that long and expect not to get pushed out.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I can think of a BILLION things America could have spent its money on instead of this war.

number 1 for you would probably be building a wall on the border so illegals dont take 15-year old Tameka's job at McDonalds.
  • janklow
    edited August 2011
    I can think of a BILLION things America could have spent its money on instead of this war. I'm gonna be laughing my ass off when these rebels eventually turn against America, as the Iraqis, Pakistanis, and Afghans are doing as we speak. Anyway, congrats to the rebels, let's see how quickly they turn against America lol
    classic internet position: cannot say anything good about the US in any way, must find a way to spin America's actions. also, please let's discuss Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan because as we all know, every country's circumstances are exactly the same
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    so you're happy Libya overthrew its dictator but you're mad America helped financially

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I am glad the rebels have their "freedom" from Gadafi but there was no good reason for America to spend close to a billion dollars helping to fight this war. That billion dollars could have been spent in the USA bailing out a state or city with financial problems. Detroit is close to a billion dollars in the hole in debt, with a 38% unemployment rate for young Blacks, they couldve really used some of that Libyan money......
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    african americans complaining about africans getting money, as usual.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    number 1 for you would probably be building a wall on the border so illegals dont take 15-year old Tameka's job at McDonalds.

Building a wall on the border won't make a difference against illegal immigration. But using those billion dollars to bail out some cities or states would have been very nice.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    classic internet position: cannot say anything good about the US in any way, must find a way to spin America's actions. also, please let's discuss Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan because as we all know, every country's circumstances are exactly the same

I can think of plenty of people outside the internet that think this was a wasteful war. Baby sitting the world when cities and states in the USA are going bankrupt is one of the main reasons Americans can't stand their govt these days. As I said, good for Libyans who hated Gadafi, now let's see how quickly they turn their backs on us.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    states already received billions in bailout funds over the last couple years

and none of them had lived with a dictator for four decades

you just hate to see young africans gettin money
  • janklow
    edited August 2011
    I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I am glad the rebels have their "freedom" from Gadafi-
    why are we putting quotes around "freedom" there? is this a scam where Libya is not actually going to be free of Gadafi? or just a vote saying you think he's a cool dude.
    - but there was no good reason for America to spend close to a billion dollars helping to fight this war.
    well, there is a good reason if you think it's going to make for a vast overall improvement for Libya. you might not like to spend the money for that reason as much as OTHER reasons --it's totally fine to prioritize-- but that's also not the same thing as "no good reason."

i also suspect this has a lot to do with a mindset that refuses to allow for the US having done anything good ever
    I can think of plenty of people outside the internet that think this was a wasteful war.
    the "internet position" is not about calling this war wasteful; as noted in the post you supposedly read above, it's about refusing to acknowledge anything good about the US in any way and needing to thus spin America's actions.

i remain convinced that there was a lot of hypocritical talk at the time from people who were incredibly against some government spending of any sort while simultaneously championing this mission and the related spending. welcome to politics, i suppose
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    states already received billions in bailout funds over the last couple years

and none of them had lived with a dictator for four decades

you just hate to see young africans gettin money

The bailout funds obviously weren't enough because many of those funds were used just to pay salaries and continue funding projects. A large percent of the bailout was just tax cuts....either way many cities still need help. It's like paying your cousin's friend's rent when your baby mama needs 20 dollars for pampers, and than having the nerve to say you can't buy those pampers. ? doesnt make any ? sense
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    janklow wrote: »
    why are we putting quotes around "freedom" there? is this a scam where Libya is not actually going to be free of Gadafi? or just a vote saying you think he's a cool dude.

well, there is a good reason if you think it's going to make for a vast overall improvement for Libya. you might not like to spend the money for that reason as much as OTHER reasons --it's totally fine to prioritize-- but that's also not the same thing as "no good reason."

i also suspect this has a lot to do with a mindset that refuses to allow for the US having done anything good ever

the "internet position" is not about calling this war wasteful; as noted in the post you supposedly read above, it's about refusing to acknowledge anything good about the US in any way and needing to thus spin America's actions.

i remain convinced that there was a lot of hypocritical talk at the time from people who were incredibly against some government spending of any sort while simultaneously championing this mission and the related spending. welcome to politics, i suppose

That money wouldv'e been better spent bailing out American cities and states, so NO I don't see any good reason to have wasted money on this damn war. If you expect me to give American govt props for this, look for another poster. Americans need help now and don't benefit much from Gadafi being gone from power. I highly doubt Congress and the White House will get any major approval rating bumps from this but hey Gadafi is gone and yes he was a bad guy. Hopefully we can spend the next billion bucks helping American cities now, wouldnt that be great?
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/08/what_will_rick_snyder_and_the.html#incart_mce

Child poverty in Michigan has skyrocketed 64 percent from 2000 to 2009, which means 75,000 more kids are poor. That far outpaces the national average of 18 percent.

And 36 percent of Michigan kids live in families with no parent who has year-round, full-time employment. That's 845,000 children.

Whenever welfare, Bridge cards and other human services come up, someone argues that these folks messed up their lives and deserve what they get.

But can you really make that argument about children who did nothing besides being born into struggling families?

So what about them? What will Gov. Rick Snyder and the GOP Legislature do to help them? What does it say about us as a society if we're not willing to do anything or just hope that local churches and charities might pitch in a bit?

This year, Republicans have taken significant action -- cutting welfare benefits at 48 months, cutting the Earned Income Tax Credit and cutting the number of weeks you can collect state unemployment.

Can Snyder and lawmakers really believe that these steps won't mean that child poverty will continue to soar in Michigan?

Michigan League for Human Services Executive Director Gilda Jacobs knows the numbers, but also the politics, having served in the Legislature for more than a decade.

She said she knows Snyder is focused on building a good business climate so there's job growth. But she also knows that doesn't happen overnight. And in the meantime, kids are suffering and will continue to with welfare cuts.

"All those things are counterintuitive," she said. "If I had a crystal ball, I would say the numbers aren't going to look better in the future. All of these things have an immediate effect on families. There is a huge time lapse between creating a better business climate and getting people to stay here and move here and people just trying to make it every day . . . It's hard to tell people to wait when they don't have a roof over their head."

So far, Snyder has devoted time to issues like education and local government reform with special messages. Given the eye-opening statistics, sounds like it's time for the governor to give a special message on poverty.

---I'd love it even more if my tax payer money was spent at home fixing problems like this.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    better spent?

is detroit run by an egomaniacal dictator now?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    But can you really make that argument about children who did nothing besides being born into struggling families?

what happened to children being the responsibility of the parent? they can get jobs, work hard to advance, and remove their kids from poverty, just like everybody in history has had to do.

stop waiting for da gubment. go to the library, get educated, get a job.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2011
    what happened to children being the responsibility of the parent? they can get jobs, work hard to advance, and remove their kids from poverty, just like everybody in history has had to do.

stop waiting for da gubment. go to the library, get educated, get a job.

Michigan and many other states have high unemployment rates, I doubt it's as simple as "just get a job". And with your attitude, I could just tell the Libyan rebels the same ? .

Stop being babies and take care of your own ? problems. Get your own airplanes and fight your own wars your damn selves, stop relying on Americans to bail you out of your own mess. See how easy that is?