The Idealogy Behind Conspiracy Theories....

stupot0607
stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Social Lounge
Now before i start this Rant, im not a conspiracy theory person.

Although i could believe in a illuminati/ secret society which runs the world. In my mind something along them lines (group of powerful leaders like the UN who arent household names) has to exsist behind doors and the public eye. But i doubt they are evil devil worshippers like these videos claim to be. But at the same time i could see them pulling off political stunts to gain more money & power.

But where all these conspiracy theories fail are because they Cannot & Will not ever stop. There will always be a Conspiracy behind the Conspiracy because they are not based on historical facts. So In turn even if you did find a historically changing and society changing conspiracy to be true, the conspiracy behind that conspiracy could be 100% false.

Heres even a nice little made up one by me:

1. JFK Was shot by a Olive.
2. The illimunati ordered the hit.
3. Olives are evil and will poison everbody in the year 2014.
4. 2014 is exactly 1289 years after a so called ? to mayans died from choking on a olive.

You see my point?

Some conspiracies i could believe in for instance:

1. The Sphinx being a african face and having its facail features re-arranged to ignore the historical importance of african people ..... Im white and i could definitly see that being true.
2. Princess Diana being killed because she was pregnant with Dodi (A Muslim man). A Muslim man in the royal family..... Interesting.

What annoys me about conspiracy theorys are... Why do majority of people believe conspiracies on Youtube? you think they would read into them or research them if they were that deadly serious all the time. The irony being of course that these videos are about the illuminati treating people like sheep, and the people who are watching these videos blindly follow these conspiracies like sheep haha

Even William Cooper admitted that all his alien/ ufo conspiracy theorys he believed and researched could have been false to throw him off the initial conspiracy....................Whatever that was.

Discuss....................

/Rant Over

Comments

• Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I'm definitely not a conspiracy theory person, and I'm downright against some conspiracies, especially ones like 9/11 conspiracy that drag half the Left onto some wild goose chase and make the rest look bad by association. But on the other hand lots of coups, revolutions, wars, etc., can be understood in conspiratorial terms that are accurate. That said, if the conspiracy is too elaborate or too simplistic, chances are I'll dismiss it right off the bat (for example, anytime someone tries to explain some huge, multipronged even by pointing to a single variable my eyes roll), and really if there is no evidence or leak of any kind, especially these days with wikileaks, I'm not going to be convincible.

Why do people embrace conspiracy theories?
    Imo three interconnected factors: (1) People like to have an explanation, (2) there is a lot of distrust of states and the markets, so the "official" explanation is going to be outright dismissed by a lot of people, and (3) the rise of the internet has just made it easier to learn and disseminate conspiracy theories -- if I was a folklorist I would be interested to focus on this third aspect.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    And also, t/s I see what you're saying about conspiracies being more drawn out than they need to be. There's no shortage of real issues to be outraged about, no need to make something up or embrace some foolish ? , just read the papers and you'll be like "wtf, it is a corrupt world."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    The Jamel wrote: »
    i'd rather look at the bigger picture then believe that everything is so cut and dry...

just too much stupid ? going on for me to believe these news outlets and our government... and not seeing a single ? WMD even tho I slept in an Iraqi Weapons factory for 3 weeks has alot to do with the way i think now too...

to often people look at the guy with the billboard thinking what a kook, when you should be thinking may be this cat knows some ? i don't... you never know.

I'd rather listen to the townsfolk that live next to the HAARP array, then hear what the government has to say about it.

you say conspiracy theory? I say looking at stuff from a different perspective.. thats all it is...

..........this^
    except i have never slept in a weapons factory
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited August 2011
    i'd rather look at the bigger picture then believe that everything is so cut and dry...

just too much stupid ? going on for me to believe these news outlets and our government... and not seeing a single ? WMD even tho I slept in an Iraqi Weapons factory for 3 weeks has alot to do with the way i think now too...

to often people look at the guy with the billboard thinking what a kook, when you should be thinking may be this cat knows some ? i don't... you never know.

I'd rather listen to the townsfolk that live next to the HAARP array, then hear what the government has to say about it.

you say conspiracy theory? I say looking at stuff from a different perspective.. thats all it is...

Very reasonable POV
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011

Great Post Jamal...... Definitly see where your coming from.

Governments should fear their People

People shouldnt fear their Government.

Fair to say i distrust my government.
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I'm definitely not a conspiracy theory person, and I'm downright against some conspiracies, especially ones like 9/11 conspiracy that drag half the Left onto some wild goose chase and make the rest look bad by association. But on the other hand lots of coups, revolutions, wars, etc., can be understood in conspiratorial terms that are accurate. That said, if the conspiracy is too elaborate or too simplistic, chances are I'll dismiss it right off the bat (for example, anytime someone tries to explain some huge, multipronged even by pointing to a single variable my eyes roll), and really if there is no evidence or leak of any kind, especially these days with wikileaks, I'm not going to be convincible.

Why do people embrace conspiracy theories?
    Imo three interconnected factors: (1) People like to have an explanation, (2) there is a lot of distrust of states and the markets, so the "official" explanation is going to be outright dismissed by a lot of people, and (3) the rise of the internet has just made it easier to learn and disseminate conspiracy theories -- if I was a folklorist I would be interested to focus on this third aspect.

Good points.....

The rise of the internet obviously created some, but baring in mind we are the first generation really to have full use of the internet. So knowledge about conspiracies may have been locked away in files and librarys all this time maybe? easier access (to everything) thanks to the internet.

I Think another reason why people believe these conspiracies is because they wantto believe something which isnt real, and if they are willing to think that way, they will welcome and be easily convinced of these conspiracies.

Although my opinion is reserved on the whole 9/11 conspiracy, it did ask some very good questions. But how many these people who believe 9/11 conspiracy have actually read the "real" commision report?