why was jay-z such a late bloomer?

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Word nas aint went plat since 04 while jay z is on his 12th #1 album and wtt will go plat

Jiggas "peers" are way behind in this rap ?

They are either washed,irrelevant or cant sell half of what he sells now

Longevity>>>>>>Dropping a classic at age 20

You have to realize that your criteria is, going to be different then others.i can accept your criteria being sales and mainstream relevance although, I don't agree with it. My criteria is rhyming ability and I certainly do not believe for one minute that Jay has surpassed his peers in this category.
  • Treize117
    Treize117 Members Posts: 1,112
    edited September 2011
    Last i checked its kind of hard to drop an album without a deal...
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Treize117 wrote: »
    Last i checked its kind of hard to drop an album without a deal...

right.... ? had to do it themselves then and couldnt even get a deal until after RD dropped
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    this thread isn't about relevancy or jay-z's buisness skills or bank account. we know all of that already, thats obvious. but if we go by relevancy and sales, then eminem has always been better than jay-z since 1999. but anyway...

this thread is about why was jay-z such a late bloomer.
  • KeepinItHundred
    edited September 2011
    Me1971 wrote: »
    Don't most rappers follow trends to stay relevant? Was Jay going out his way to do tracks with Akon, T-Pain, Lil Mo or whoever when it was the trendy thing to do? Look at Em, he raps on more southern sounding beats now and he did a collab with Rhianna which seems to be the industry standard, isn't he hoping on a trend? You ever notice how Nas was following the flashy trend from 96-2001, a trend that people swore Jay monopolized. Ya'll not giving him enough credit for his risk taking, you guys are overlooking things out of biasdness. People don't remember that Jay put out a classic album with two relatively unknown producers doing a majority of the production (Kanye and Just Blaze), those dudes definitely weren't indemand at the time (they weren't even signed). The Blueprint sound changed the sound of hip hop for a while because then other groups started putting they're spin on the soulful sound; who came after them, the Diplomats with the Heatmakers, Terror Squad with the early Cool N Dre Production ect ect. Jay even had the Hitmen produce a large majority of the American Gangster album, what trend was he following with that? Was Roc Boy's a trendy record? Was Kingdom Come a trendy album? The dude was like the first rapper to do songs with Chris Martin. There wasn't even a mainstream hip hop realease that year (2007) that sounded like American gangster.....and it was succesful. He featured UGK on Big Pimping, that wasn't trendy (for the time). What trend was he hoping on with Can I Get A with putting Amil and unknown Ja Rule on the track? or ? What ? Who when he featured Jaz-O on the track?

nothing to do with why jay was a late bloomer
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    nas dont bandwagon whatever is hot and jack styles
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Because Jay-Z is not an artist, he is an imitator. He has to wait for a trend to develop so he can follow it. He observes a formula and then he applies it. He sees who's hot in the game and he latches on to them for success.

Case & Point:

The criminal tales Jay-Z was spittin on Reasonable Doubt wasn't his lane previous to that album. "I Can't Get With That" nor "Da Graveyard" were anything like "D'Evils". It's not until you heard stuff like G Rap's "4, 5, 6", Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" etc, did you hear him follow suit. Nas did the same, however, What makes him different from so many others was that he was invited into it. He was on G Rap's album, as well as AZ's "Doe Or Die" on "Mo Money, Mo Murder, Mo Homocide" which began The Firm. Jay just jumped in like he was everybody else.

Diddy was dancin' around all dumb with bright videos and flashy gimmicks so Jay-Z made "Sunshine". Ruff Ryders came around and started deadin' that shiny suit ? and Jay-Z released "Money Cash Hoes" ft. DMX. When Hot Boys got play in 99, Jay invited Juvenile to do the hoot on "Snoopy Track". So on and so forth. To answer your question Jay-Z adapts to the times by emulating whatever is popular. He doesn't create anything. So it's not that he's a late bloomer, he just needs something popular to feed off of.

thread shud have been closed after this post
  • KeepinItHundred
    edited September 2011
    If jay is a late bloomer so is em,big pun,50,dmx and kanye west

All have classics,most have multiple #1 albums all have sold mad records and made good music

Seems like u desperately nitpickin even tho your premise got ? on

And nas made a song wit lil john in 03 which is following who's hot cuz lil john trash music ran the clubs and radio in 2003

my premise never got ? on. i didn't ask who else came into the game late, or if any other late blooming emcee's dropped classics, you added that. i asked why was jay-z, who is so "godly and great and unfuckwitable" such a late bloomer. why did he need to watch ? come up and soak styles up? nas did a song with lil john to put the brave hearts on, it;s not on any of his albums, nor did he ever do a crunk song on any of his albums.
  • KeepinItHundred
    edited September 2011
    If jay is a late bloomer so is em,big pun,50,dmx and kanye west

All have classics,all (except big pun) have multiple #1 albums all have sold mad records and made good music

Seems like u desperately nitpickin even tho your premise got ? on

And nas made a song wit lil john in 03 which is following who's hot cuz lil john trash music ran the clubs and radio in 2003

"Trend follower" who has no business doin songs wit lil john

Nas also got kanye production after jigga,made a collab album after jigga,got eminem production after jigga

But yea nobody else do that ? but jay z

Lmao reason posters stay losin

nas did the firm colab album in 1997
    i believe kanye west produced poppa was a playa, which was suppossed to come out 1999, not sure.
    jay-z got premo and dr.dre production after nas, and so what?
    still doesn't explain why jay was a late bloomer.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Because Record labels didn't want nothing to do with Jay-Z.
    That was the reason why they started Roc-A Fella, nobody was ? with Jay.
    Then when Pac and Big died, he started getting the looks.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    nas did the firm colab album in 1997
    i believe kanye west produced poppa was a playa, which was suppossed to come out 1999, not sure.
    jay-z got premo and dr.dre production after nas, and so what?
    still doesn't explain why jay was a late bloomer.

Good post. There so much more to say but there's no point wasting it on a troll.
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited September 2011
    This is not the same exact thing. But, I got two good late bloomers for you. Even though this was not their first releases. Marvin Gaye's 12th album at Age 31 was ''What's Going On?'' And Prince at age 26 in 1984 his 6th album was ''Purple Rain''

Rather be a late bloomer and be a legend instead of have on great album early and live off of that.
  • KeepinItHundred
    edited September 2011
    This is not the same exact thing. But, I got two good late bloomers for you. Even though this was not their first releases. Marvin Gaye's 12th album at Age 31 was ''What's Going On?'' And Prince at age 26 in 1984 his 6th album was ''Purple Rain''

Rather be a late bloomer and be a legend instead of have on great album early and live off of that.

you bodied your own argument number one
    2. that doesn't explain why jay was a late bloomer
    sionb55 had a legit post though.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011

Good ones. Motown was afraid to take a chance on Marvin's "What's Going On?", but now it's viewed as his magnum opus by many. Did his 40th anniversary edition of "What's Going On?" drop yet?
  • smoothballa81
    smoothballa81 Members Posts: 157
    edited September 2011
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Good ones. Motown was afraid to take a chance on Marvin's "What's Going On?", but now it's viewed as his magnum opus by many. Did his 40th anniversary edition of "What's Going On?" drop yet?

Yup, And the ? still sounds brand new. And ''What's Going On'' is considered by many to be the best album ever made in music history. Its up for argument. But, sometimes it takes time to find who you are.

When Marvin Gaye made What's Going On it's the equivalent of Trey Songz making a introspective deep album. Marvin Gaye was seen as a sex symbol and just a pretty boy who had a good voice. Dude became a visionary and one of the most important artist in the history of music after that album.

So, It took Jay a time to find himself. He found his groove and moved on. But, honestly I think Reasonable Doubt is overrated and I think The Blueprint is his true magnum opus and he was 31 when that came out.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited September 2011

Those are poor examples. Prince and Marvin Gaye both had very good success as artists before these break out albums. Prince was able to Play 15+ instruments before the age of 20 while having songs that charted. Little Red Corvette, 1999 as, well Chaka Khan remaking "I feel for you". Marvin had recorded #1 hits for Motown before what's going on and was an established artist. Jayz had no such success before RD which, didn't drop with any fan fair or anticipation.
  • 2Fresh2def
    2Fresh2def Members Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    does it really matter why he was a late bloomer.... everybody is so concerned with instant success, well think about this for a min, all the ? yall comparing him to who had instant success and instant classics..... where are they in their carrers cuz im willing to bet that they are not doing as well as he is and im not just talking bout sales either im talking overall hes doing better, so at the end of the day does it matter when he bloomed cuz i could give a rats ass if i were him
  • Kwan Dai
    edited September 2011
    2Fresh2def wrote: »
    does it really matter why he was a late bloomer.... everybody is so concerned with instant success, well think about this for a min, all the ? yall comparing him to who had instant success and instant classics..... where are they in their carrers cuz im willing to bet that they are not doing as well as he is and im not just talking bout sales either im talking overall hes doing better, so at the end of the day does it matter when he bloomed cuz i could give a rats ass if i were him

Why does it matter where is now? Some of those artists had there runs in the genre. So, will Jayz. So, while you may not be talking about his sales, you are at least attempting to point out his fame and riches. As, I said, Jayz has not surpassed his peers Lyrically, or creatively.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    25 ,26 we talkin bout a matter of months who cares they still were similar in age

I read the 1st sentence then stopped cuz it was some ? plus duke wack and I dont read essays from wack ?

Well Jay-Z was about to turn 27 when his joint dropped. Also The Documentary was supposed to come out when Game was 24 but it got pushed back due to legal ? with Ruthless Records and Eazy-E's wife amongst other things.

Well you should read it cuz dude was spitting the same truth i've been saying. Still Jay-Z has dope records here and there but let's keep it real if y'all wanna be real. I remember i was one of the only ? who pointed out the whole Juvenile argument on the IC a while ago.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited September 2011
    I dint wna be ignorant but fine..... Cuz he was selllin ? gtn money in da streets derlic, dats why! While ? like nas nd albert aka twinkle toes was in ballet class nd lookin out they window, so of course they had time to hit a studio nd spit tales bout other ppls lives, lol, cuz them nigz dont know wut ? cook rite look like... Maybe if he wasnt knee deep in da streets he wudda came out as a teen too..

Forget being ignorant. You are so misinformed it's pathetic.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I dint wna be ignorant but fine..... Cuz he was selllin ? gtn money in da streets derlic, dats why! While ? like nas nd albert aka twinkle toes was in ballet class nd lookin out they window, so of course they had time to hit a studio nd spit tales bout other ppls lives, lol, cuz them nigz dont know wut ? cook rite look like... Maybe if he wasnt knee deep in da streets he wudda came out as a teen too..

Boring troll. Get a new hobby.
  • KeepinItHundred
    edited September 2011

so for a jay-z stan's sake we'll pretend thats true.
    but what about g-rap? he was able to come out when he did. nice try.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    He had to bloom late, he need time to soak up game and change up his entire style, both content and flow. LMAO.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    all these other emcees were putting out classics in their early 20s, or teen years(mobb deep)

did jay just need to watch and learn to gain pointers?

Because jay-Z was shook that's why, Jay-Z is around the same age of Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Krs-1, LL Cool J,. And around that era those were the emcee's that was was running ? in New York and at that time older emcee's like Kool Moe Dee, Melle Mel and Grand Master CAZ, T La rock was still wrecking the mic's and they was in their late 20's

Now look at all these emcee's that i listed KOOL MOE DEE, GRANDMASTER CAZ, MELLE MEL, RAKIM, BIG DADDY KANE, KRS-1, LL COOL J and T La Rock = 9 emcee's with 6 in the TOP TEN EMCEE'S OF ALL TIMES that will be KOOL MOE DEE, GRANDMASTER CAZ, MELLE MEL, RAKIM, BIG DADDY KANE, KRS-1 and LL Cool J and T La Rock are any where from 11-15.

Jay-Z knew his role, the older emcee's in KMD, CAZ, and Melle Mel, T La Rock would of crushed Jay-Z around 88 even though they was around their late 20's and the younger emcee's were in the late teen's and around Jay-Z age Rakim, Kane, Krs-1 was taking hip-hop to the next level and battling the vets and making classic albums.

Jay-Z couldnt and knew he wasnt on none of their level's. That's why he hopped on Jaz-o back and learned from JAZ and KANE. Jay-z at the age of 27 waited to those emcee's was bowing out due to the new wave of hip-hop and around 95 he try to act brand new, a straight sucka.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Just like every other rapper it took him time to find his style and what works for them. If you listen to Biggie, he wasn't on that Frank White ? , if you listen to Pac he wasn't on no gangsta ? at the beginning. The only reason why Jay gets the criticism he does because he is the only one from back then who lasted and have all this success, people are looking for some dumb reason for why he is here today other than the ? can rhyme his ass off.

You ask these haters why Jay is successful, they will say he bit Kane, Jaz, Biggie, Nas,etc style.