Pusha T Inks Solo Deal With Def Jam Records

13»

Comments

• 2Fresh2def
    2Fresh2def Members Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    It looks like they're starting to rebuild it with Kanye, Big Sean, and Pusha all on the label.

Also isnt Ross still a solo artist there? I thought his Warner deal was strictly for his group.

well hopefully they can rebuild cuz i would hate to see def jam (the most important and historical label in hiphop) go out like that, and as for as ross, im not 100% sure on this but im bout 99% sure hes fully done with def jam even as a solo artist... ps big sean is going to really have to step it up cuz them 90,000 out the gate aint gonna cut it, and i really dont see pusha doing any meaningful numbers but i could be wrong tho
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    You never know about album sales.

If Kanye and No ID really push him he could be competitive with these other rappers selling 35-90K first week.

I fully expect a Good Music compilation to come out by Christmas or Summer of next year.

I doubt that Def Jam is going for that amount of sales though with the label almost crumbling. It's Def Jam's own fault though cuz they focused so much on R&B section just like Interscope focuses/focused on their Pop section too much.

It's funny though reading this old Vibe magazine from 1994-1995 a few weeks ago and Def Jam had an ad or some ? for their 10 year anniversity or some ? and they had picture of artists from the 80's and then the 90's and it's amazing to see the difference compared to now..

You had the 80's artists like LL, Run DMC etc and then the 90's they had pictures of Redman, ? , Onyx, Warren G, Jayo Felony (heavily slept on btw) etc...crazy roster right there.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    *appreciates*

Pusha is gonna deliver one hell of a solo debut.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    2Fresh2def wrote: »
    well hopefully they can rebuild cuz i would hate to see def jam (the most important and historical label in hiphop) go out like that, and as for as ross, im not 100% sure on this but im bout 99% sure hes fully done with def jam even as a solo artist... ps big sean is going to really have to step it up cuz them 90,000 out the gate aint gonna cut it, and i really dont see pusha doing any meaningful numbers but i could be wrong tho

? Forgives I Dont is gonna be on Def Jam. His deal might be up after that.

Big Sean did good numbers for a debut artist. If he continues building a fanbase and releases more hot music he could be a gold selling artist.
    CirocObama wrote: »
    I doubt that Def Jam is going for that amount of sales though with the label almost crumbling. It's Def Jam's own fault though cuz they focused so much on R&B section just like Interscope focuses/focused on their Pop section too much.

It's funny though reading this old Vibe magazine from 1994-1995 a few weeks ago and Def Jam had an ad or some ? for their 10 year anniversity or some ? and they had picture of artists from the 80's and then the 90's and it's amazing to see the difference compared to now..

You had the 80's artists like LL, Run DMC etc and then the 90's they had pictures of Redman, ? , Onyx, Warren G, Jayo Felony (heavily slept on btw) etc...crazy roster right there.

Def Jam used to have the best roster in music. Now all those guys they used to count on are at the ends of their careers or washed up. Rap right now reminds me of the NBA after Jordan retired. A lot of talent, but not as much as during the days of Magic, Bird, Issiah, and MJ. A lot Tracey McGradys and Vince Carters running around right now.
  • 2Fresh2def
    edited September 2011
    oh ok, didnt know ross was still on def jam, lol i know them ? happy bout that release... i guess big sean did ok for a debut but i wouldnt go as far as to say he did good cuz i have seen alot of indy artist with no co sign break 100,000 out the gate but ur right about him building his fan base, he does have the opportunity to make sum noise, personally i dont see him ever being that big because i truly think he is a horrible carbon copy drake and until he finds himself i will always see him as that
  • 2Fresh2def
    edited September 2011
    real talk tho, i know the loyal pusha and clipse fans r gonna hate me for saying this but in reality the best situation for pusha would be an indy label because signing with a major will always put the pressure on u to sell, which lets be honest will never happen, its already been 10 years and if he hasnt become a money making artist by now, i dont hthink its gonna magically happen by signing to def jam.... no hate just real talk
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    ? Forgives I Dont is gonna be on Def Jam. His deal might be up after that.

Big Sean did good numbers for a debut artist. If he continues building a fanbase and releases more hot music he could be a gold selling artist.

Def Jam used to have the best roster in music. Now all those guys they used to count on are at the ends of their careers or washed up. Rap right now reminds me of the NBA after Jordan retired. A lot of talent, but not as much as during the days of Magic, Bird, Issiah, and MJ. A lot Tracey McGradys and Vince Carters running around right now.

True. Don't get me wrong btw i wasn't saying that Def Jam should "revive" them but i'm just talking about the difference in talent as far as the roster goes. It wasn't just quality artists it was quality albums too and i think that's a big difference compared to now. You have a few talented artists but they never get to drop their album or become that big, or you have the artist that can drop 4-5 albums but isn't talented and raps a bunch of nonsense.

I mean in '94 alone they had 3 classics (Tical, Dare Iz A Darkside, Regulate... G Funk Era etc) and that's alot.