CYNE'S - Up Above vs Immortal Tech & Akir - One (Remix)

stupot0607
stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
Both flipping the same sample, Which one is better?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Great comparison :tu The subject matter is what separates the two tracks, to me...

Akir's multis in the first verse are nice, but he falls off with some lines mentioning his name and the people that he's repping for..if we don't know them, we don't care (harsh but as a whole, true).

Tech really takes it to another level lyrically for me, his knowledge and wisdom is what always makes him a great emcee... that said, it becomes impersonal to the listener when he starts doing shout outs also. But he sticks to the subject much better and delivers some really nice lines that I can really enjoy, but not feel (as I don't know what it's like to live in the Middle East, where as most people have had that Grandma). That said, it's still a great verse and the song as a whole is enjoyable.

CYNE's version, is on another level altogether, IMO. With every great track, there is emotion... and in the case of Up Above, pain, grief and hope are all evident. To me, the last part of the last verse sold the whole song, but each verse (even though it's a mesh of lyrics) was brilliant as well and each by Cise Starr (my favourite of the two emcee's in the group, even though Akin sometimes tops him). A short track with enough lyrics for a 4 or 5 minute song.

As I've said in the past, CYNE on Evolution Fight were in that Illmatic, Reasonable Doubt, Ready to Die equivalent mentality, the discovery and becoming was evident throughout for each member of the group, whether on the board or on the mic. That said, I'm taking nothing away from Revolutionary Vol. 2, but I think as a track Vs track, CYNE's Up Above takes it.

I'll leave this post with this quote:
    Cise Starr wrote:
    I'll wrestle angels just to see ya face again
    Because you were my life, my mother and friend
    You reside in ? 's love now in heaven above
    So don't you move ya son gonna see you soon
    I run, past the hardships tears and pain
    Growin up I said ya name you always came
    Hold my hand, gotta move through the storm
    Now I need to be strong cause you're with the Lord
  • Shankydizzle
    Shankydizzle Members Posts: 75
    edited September 2011
    I prefer Cyne's flow, but gotta go with Immortal Tech & Akir with lyrics
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Good points, i recon CYNE's version is better, better flow and feel to the song.

Yet i must of heard the Akir joint about 10000 times.... And lyrically its on point..
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I prefer Cyne's flow, but gotta go with Immortal Tech & Akir with lyrics

Why do you feel that they outshine Cise Starr lyrically? Be interesting to debate it!
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Good points, i recon CYNE's version is better, better flow and feel to the song.

Yet i must of heard the Akir joint about 10000 times.... And lyrically its on point..

Yeah, I agree… it's funny though as Tech's release was huge really in comparison to Evolution Fight… so I can see why it would be a favourite over CYNE's Up Above.