Seen any good shows this year?

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
Today after work, im going to see a mos def concert! theres multiple acts that are yet to be announced but mos is the headliner and i know he just got off the Rock The Bells concert so im hoping he will bring that hype with him up here as alaska doesnt get a lot of great hip hop shows. gonna be an outdoor concert and it looks like rain today :( but im still stoked. anyone else see any shows? i wish i lived in the lower 48 i would love to see rock the bells some day.

Comments

• Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I saw Nas and Damian Marley earlier this year, Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa a few months ago too.

Last Sat. I went to Rock the Bells.. I watched Big K.R.I.T., Badu, GZA, Raekwon and Ghostface, Blackstar, a few minutes of Common, and Souls of Mischief
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    How was nas and Damian? i hear they use a live band sounds pretty ill. and im hella jealous of your rock the bells experience, thats a concert i am putting on my bucket list. maybe ill fly down there next year. i definitely have to be there when Wu Tang is performing. id love to see blackstar and Lauryn hill as well.

I saw mos def yesterday. it was a pretty ill show, just him and two diff dj's played all of his classics and some new songs. I personally think Murs and Aesop rock did a better show but it was still a awesome experience to see.
  • Lincoln
    edited August 2011
    Nas and Damian Marley were cool. They had a whole live band, and even singers/dancers. I mostly was trying to see Nas, but Damian stole the show. He was a way better live performer than Nas. Plus Nas was high as hell and had his eyes closed most of the time. One Mic was sick tho.

Rock the Bells is dope. I went last year too, gonna make a tradition out of it. I'll be honest, idk how much you know about Lauryn Hill's live performances but she's been terrible these recent years. They call it a train wreck. She was at RTB this year and last year, I didn't watch her either time cause it was so bad. Blackstar was dope tho..

What surprised me was that I expected Black Star and Big K.R.I.T. to be the best performances, but Souls of Mischief and Supernatural blew them away. S.o.M. have really laid-back tracks, but they put so much energy in them when they perform them live.. Supernatural was only supposed to be a host, but Blackstar was lagging to come on and the crowd was restless, so he came on and spit like a 6 minute freestyle I think, good stuff..
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    I love a supernat freestyle. its seems so effortless for him! This year werent they playing their classic albums track for track? and i heard lauryn wasnt all that bad this year. she sucked at first but as it went on it got better and better. i think i read that on this site in the rumors or something. but just rumors i guess haha.
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited August 2011
    saw KRS about a month ago and it was GREAT!
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Seen Kendrick Lamar at the 930 club in DC . Dude is the real deal
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Lincoln wrote: »
    I saw Nas and Damian Marley earlier this year, Inspectah Deck and Masta Killa a few months ago too.

Last Sat. I went to Rock the Bells.. I watched Big K.R.I.T., Badu, GZA, Raekwon and Ghostface, Blackstar, a few minutes of Common, and Souls of Mischief

I saw Nas and Damian Marley too, but last year... it wasn't live instrumentation though.

Bet Masta Killa was class! NO SAID DATE TIME TO RIDE!

Jealous of you seeing Rock The Bells too, who was the best out of all of those? I saw Blackstar a few months ago, I still need to sort my pictures and drop a thread on them.
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I saw mos def yesterday. it was a pretty ill show, just him and two diff dj's played all of his classics and some new songs. I personally think Murs and Aesop rock did a better show but it was still a awesome experience to see.

How was Aesop Rock live? I thought Mos' stage presence was outstanding live, he really holds the stage and it showed even when he catalog lacked against Kweli's on stage.
    I mostly was trying to see Nas, but Damian stole the show. He was a way better live performer than Nas. Plus Nas was high as hell and had his eyes closed most of the time.

One Mic was sick tho.

idk how much you know about Lauryn Hill's live performances but she's been terrible these recent years. They call it a train wreck.

What surprised me was that I expected Black Star and Big K.R.I.T. to be the best performances, but Souls of Mischief and Supernatural blew them away. S.o.M. have really laid-back tracks, but they put so much energy in them when they perform them live.. Supernatural was only supposed to be a host, but Blackstar was lagging to come on and the crowd was restless, so he came on and spit like a 6 minute freestyle I think, good stuff..

Great post :tu

Shame about Nas' live performance, I've seen him a few times and he's still my favourite artist who has put on a show here for his abilities on the mic, he really shines when he's on form, but I've seen both Nas'. The one that blows you away and the one that frustrates you because you're rhyming his classics better than he is on the mic. Damian never stole the show at the concert I watched though and of the two solo concerts I've seen Nas do; both were great with sprinklings of what you said.

One Mic is always great live, particularly how he sells it; he usually performs it sat down for the slow bit? Such a great track.

Shame about Lauryn, for someone with so much talent; it's a shame she's lost her way more than most, when she's probably one of the more stimulating, interesting and intellectual emcee's who you would expect to have it together...

Would love to see S.o.M, class about Supernatural, that's how you ease a crowd lol.
    Sep-00 wrote: »

Quality, we should get some pics up in this thread if we have any!!
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Seen Kendrick Lamar at the 930 club in DC . Dude is the real deal

Man, I envy you something serious!!! What was his best track live? I've seen his performances on YouTube, but you only need his records to know he's 'the real deal'.

Nice sig :tu
  • Lincoln
    edited August 2011

KRS is amazing live.

RuffDraft wrote: »
    I saw Nas and Damian Marley too, but last year... it wasn't live instrumentation though.

Bet Masta Killa was class! NO SAID DATE TIME TO RIDE!

Jealous of you seeing Rock The Bells too, who was the best out of all of those? I saw Blackstar a few months ago, I still need to sort my pictures and drop a thread on them.

Great post :tu

Shame about Nas' live performance, I've seen him a few times and he's still my favourite artist who has put on a show here for his abilities on the mic, he really shines when he's on form, but I've seen both Nas'. The one that blows you away and the one that frustrates you because you're rhyming his classics better than he is on the mic. Damian never stole the show at the concert I watched though and of the two solo concerts I've seen Nas do; both were great with sprinklings of what you said.

One Mic is always great live, particularly how he sells it; he usually performs it sat down for the slow bit? Such a great track.

Shame about Lauryn, for someone with so much talent; it's a shame she's lost her way more than most, when she's probably one of the more stimulating, interesting and intellectual emcee's who you would expect to have it together...

Would love to see S.o.M, class about Supernatural, that's how you ease a crowd lol.

I think the best performance there was Souls of Mischief, followed closely by K.R.I.T... probably the best performers I've seen were Masta Killa, Souls of Mischief, and KRS-One. What's funny though is that these guys tend to be more laid back on their tracks, but when they are live they have so much energy and really know how to put on a show.

When I saw Nas and Damian, I was expecting both to put on a good show, Nas did well, and it was worth the money, but I was expecting more. At times I felt like he was just rapping at the crowd, and he switched some of the lines in One Mic with the censored version's lines, but it was still a cool performance for that song. He slowed it down, performed it as the sun was setting, it was too perfect..
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited August 2011
    i would really like to see masta killa live. i'm going to check out foreign exchange in about two weeks.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited August 2011
    Foreign exchange i bet that would be a real chill laid back concert. just vibe to.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    I think the best performance there was Souls of Mischief, followed closely by K.R.I.T... probably the best performers I've seen were Masta Killa, Souls of Mischief, and KRS-One. What's funny though is that these guys tend to be more laid back on their tracks, but when they are live they have so much energy and really know how to put on a show.

When I saw Nas and Damian, I was expecting both to put on a good show, Nas did well, and it was worth the money, but I was expecting more. At times I felt like he was just rapping at the crowd, and he switched some of the lines in One Mic with the censored version's lines, but it was still a cool performance for that song. He slowed it down, performed it as the sun was setting, it was too perfect..

Nice, K.R.I.T putting on that great of a show? I like K.R.I.T, he's nice and seems like a cool person from his interviews...

Yeah, but I imagine that No Said Date live would be amazing. I bought the special edition album of the same name and the show that's on the DVD shows off a really good performance from him.

Yeah, it's funny when Nas switches the lyrics as well because the songs that he puts on at the show are all classics and everyone knows every line, so any slip up is really apparent at a Nas show. That's how I always see it, where as others, I don't know their catalog's as well. Sounds great with the sunset as well :tu
    i would really like to see masta killa live. i'm going to check out foreign exchange in about two weeks.

WOAH! Where are they performing? Man, I'm jealous, that'll be a great show :tu Take pics if you can and upload them :tu That'd be great...
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Blackalicious and Latyrx are coming to anchorage october 1st! gettin my ticket next weekend :D
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Blackalicious and Latyrx are coming to anchorage october 1st! gettin my ticket next weekend :D

Nice, that'll be a great show, Gift of Gab is incredible and Latyrx are nice also...if a little off the wall lol.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Yeah im not a Huge Latyrx fan but Gift of Gab has some classic tracks. smooth west coast ? .
  • Lincoln
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Yeah, but I imagine that No Said Date live would be amazing. I bought the special edition album of the same name and the show that's on the DVD shows off a really good performance from him.

Just realized I have that same cd/dvd combo.. i gotta look for it now cause I never finished watching the dvd haha
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Just realized I have that same cd/dvd combo.. i gotta look for it now cause I never finished watching the dvd haha

haha it was worth a watch from what I remember lol.