Question 4 The Non-Believers....

Options
2»

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Threadstarter's curiosity is going to lead him to the light of atheism.

Welcome, my son.
    Nah, I don't think he's trill enough for that.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    why do people keep saying religion itself is the cause of conflict...it's not religion it's the people who are the cause of the conflict...religion is just the vehicle being used to drive it...but it's not the cause itself

The religions explicitly say "engage in conflict with other belief systems."

I don't understand your need to cape for these institutions.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    My ? with religion or the concept of ? is, shouldn't it come from a moment of enlightenment. The problem with all this ? is it's just passed down norms, it's not something that's discovered. To me it's just another form of control like the education system and government, just cattle being put through the system. If it was up to religion and the church we would still think the world is flat, still think the sun revolve around the earth, etc, if it wasn't for the bravery of "free thinkers" like Newton, Galileo, Socrates,etc we would be stuck on some ? .

Free will, free thinking, science, philosophy > religion
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The term 'higher power' has always irked me...As does its willingness to intervene when atrocities are bein' committed on earth...And also..How the hell you gonna create a guy in India ...Allow him to belong to another religion his whole life then send' him to hell for rejectin' you?...
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Don't believe in karma or none of that fate ? ...
    But people suck, and have sucked since day 1...
    life is just a bunch of coincedences, but it would suck if people thought that...
    Religion keeps people in check and helps so hey don't have to think about the fact that we are accidents....
    People's egos won't let them accept that they aren't here for a reason....
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    People are ants, made to consume ? , build, and get stepped on by something bigger while trying to get into the big house.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Humans have conflicts... large and small
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    People are ants, made to consume ? , build, and get stepped on by something bigger while trying to get into the big house.

I get your logic but i think you phrased it wrong...
    We control our planet even though there are animals that can ? the ? out of us...
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Here's my thing mane. Humans don't like not knowing. It's that innate characteristic that fuels both science and religion. It is why religious people humanize ? . I highly doubt that ? is jealous, if he exists. I highly doubt that ? is a he, if he exists. I doubt that he gives two ? about the every day goings on of my life. We have attached emotions and human characteristics to a being that if it were to exist, would not have any of those. If there is a ? , we are incapable of understanding its existence.

That doesn't mean "I believe in science" either. Almost all science rests upon an assumption called the Principle of Uniformity of Nature. Assuming that all ? is the same everywhere. It's why we look for planets with similar environments to our own. But just a couple months ago scientists found a Galaxy so big that given our current laws of physics it should have imploded on itself. There many holes in scientific theories, but we use them b/c they work well enough for our society to function. That said, it's not unassailable. I think the biggest of which is the question of where the gases from the big bang came from. Like ? , we have to just say "they simply existed."

So that leaves us with a couple questions: What to believe, Who to believe, and Why to believe it?

That's the beauty about humanity, we can make those choices for ourselves, and as long as those choices make us comfortable as grains of sand on this beach of a universe, I'm support them.

As for me? I waiver between two views depending on my mood honestly. 1. I simply don't know, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I am perfectly comfortable not knowing the answer. As humans we search for answers b/c no knowing scares the ? out of us. It's why we're afraid of the dark, and why sudden movement from around a corner or anywhere outside our field of view scares us. 2. It's all chance. The law of entropy states that every single possibility there is will happen as some point. We don't know if this is the first universe, or the 1000th. We simply occurred b/c it's bound to happen at some point. Every single combination of atoms and molecules will occur at some point. And since time is infinite......

Great post.^^^^^
  • XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Threadstarter's curiosity is going to lead him to the light of atheism.

Welcome, my son.

no t/s still thinks that phineas gage acted differently because the iron rod stabbed him in the soul
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Almost all science rests upon an assumption called the Principle of Uniformity of Nature. Assuming that all ? is the same everywhere.
    That's about the laymanest layman's terms you could possibly have put that in, B. Uniformity in physics is about fundamental laws holding true, not visible uniformity throughout the universe. And with a potential multiverse as described by many interpretations of quantum mechanics, science allows for there to be universes with different laws of physics from ours.

In other words, it ain't about ? being the same, B. It's about the ? that makes ? the ? that it is keeping it one hunnid, trilla.

It's why we look for planets with similar environments to our own.
    We do that because we want to travel.
    But just a couple months ago scientists found a Galaxy so big that given our current laws of physics it should have imploded on itself.
    I googled your key phrases here and can't find a source for this claim.
    I think the biggest of which is the question of where the gases from the big bang came from. Like ? , we have to just say "they simply existed."
    Actually, this question has been quite thoroughly answered. Stephen Hawking's latest and probably last book is all about it. Your problem is that the language you're posing the question with does not make sense. Spacetime came into existence with the Big Bang, so there was no where or when for it to have come from. This conclusion is arrived at through observation, experimentation, and following the math to its logical conclusions. This process should not be compared to religious people saying "? just did it."
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The religions explicitly say "engage in conflict with other belief systems."

I don't understand your need to cape for these institutions.

Because to me the institutions aren't the issue, it's the ? people who are the problem...an idea itself isn't dangerous until you get an idiot or 2 who act on it...the idea of ? , religion, etc...isn't bad...it's only bad when you get idiots who use it for stupid ? ...people would still have wars and conflict without religion...
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The term 'higher power' has always irked me...As does its willingness to intervene when atrocities are bein' committed on earth...And also..How the hell you gonna create a guy in India ...Allow him to belong to another religion his whole life then send' him to hell for rejectin' you?...

You're talking about RELIGION.... I'm not (necessarily)...

I'm talking about ? ... A ? ... An all-powerful force. Take religion outta your mind for just this once.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    That's about the laymanest layman's terms you could possibly have put that in, B. Uniformity in physics is about fundamental laws holding true, not visible uniformity throughout the universe. And with a potential multiverse as described by many interpretations of quantum mechanics, science allows for there to be universes with different laws of physics from ours.

In other words, it ain't about ? being the same, B. It's about the ? that makes ? the ? that it is keeping it one hunnid, trilla.

We do that because we want to travel.

I googled your key phrases here and can't find a source for this claim.

Actually, this question has been quite thoroughly answered. Stephen Hawking's latest and probably last book is all about it. Your problem is that the language you're posing the question with does not make sense. Spacetime came into existence with the Big Bang, so there was no where or when for it to have come from. This conclusion is arrived at through observation, experimentation, and following the math to its logical conclusions. This process should not be compared to religious people saying "? just did it."

I'm admittedly not a physicist bruh, my truth changes with information, thanks for the post. and I stumbled upon the article about the galaxy, it was on the hubble website. I'll see if I can find it again.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good thread. I have heard this 'debate' many times. I don't really know how I feel. I believe in a higher power, the power of oneself and science. All with a grain of salt.I've only been alive 21 years so what do I know?
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited September 2011
    Options
    COULD there be a ? ? Certainly? IS there a ? ? I'm undecided.

Sound agnostic... im the same way
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    There could be a ? , but nothing in my experiences in life have made me believe that there is one.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited September 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Because to me the institutions aren't the issue, it's the ? people who are the problem...an idea itself isn't dangerous until you get an idiot or 2 who act on it...the idea of ? , religion, etc...isn't bad...it's only bad when you get idiots who use it for stupid ? ...people would still have wars and conflict without religion...

The people made up the institutions, breh. You think religious ideas really just fell from the sky? People invented them.

And the idea of ? is a bad one in the sense that making a pass to the other team in a basketball game is a bad idea. Perhaps it would make more sense if I said it's a STUPID idea. Really? You think magic is why the world is the way it is? ? magic, my dude? An invisible superpower? That's the best you can come up with?

Religious people lack imagination.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? > this thread.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I believe there is some higher force, but I don't know if that's a ? or not. I'd like to say I believe in ? and to some degree I guess I hope there is a ? , but I definitely question it at times.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You're talking about RELIGION.... I'm not (necessarily)...

I'm talking about ? ... A ? ... An all-powerful force. Take religion outta your mind for just this once.

Im pretty sure Ive read many proofs and essays about the impossibility of an all powerful force existing.

And as Huruma states, the supernatural (as we define it) isn't possible in an observable physical universe.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »
    There could be a ? , but nothing in my experiences in life have made me believe that there is one.

• Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    My grandmother's mother been waiting on the rapture...

Prophecies been fulfilled since long ago but still no rapture...

The doc believes the ? exist...but ? isn't what people imagined it to be...

MOF, I don't think ? even deals with this plane or world

Like any creator, any imperfections would be corrected...

And they're plenty of imperfections in this world...

If ? is an perfect entity, then I see no reason why he would "mingle" with the people here...

Unless he wipes the board clean and start again...

What if you're ? ?

What if that bible you read was created and drafted to keep you from the truth?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How the ? I miss this thread when it was up the first time?