If You Could Cop One Album on the 27th September, 2011, Which One Would it be?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Te if I had to only pick up one (but I'm getting all including Yelawolf!)

S/N: How was W.A.R. a disappointment? It's my favourite album dropped this year!

Posting from my phone, but I didn't say it was a definitive disappointment in all cases. Just that the general feeling amongst some posters who were highly anticipating war felt that it didn't live up to their expectations and that Oneirology was the better album that dropped that day... Sometimes albums from greats end up being disappointments though as we overexcited ourselves in anticipation. Personally, I felt it was a solid album but not one that I rushed back to. It might be a sleeper, but I definitely felt CunninLynguists dropped a better album. I'd say I was biased, but I'm a big fan of monch too!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Posting from my phone, but I didn't say it was a definitive disappointment in all cases. Just that the general feeling amongst some posters who were highly anticipating war felt that it didn't live up to their expectations and that Oneirology was the better album that dropped that day... Sometimes albums from greats end up being disappointments though as we overexcited ourselves in anticipation. Personally, I felt it was a solid album but not one that I rushed back to. It might be a sleeper, but I definitely felt CunninLynguists dropped a better album. I'd say I was biased, but I'm a big fan of monch too!

I agree. i was a huge fan of internal affairs and Desire but i didnt feel that WAR was as good as those. Cunninlynguists dropped an album that blew their previous release away.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Out of the ones listed, 9th Wonder.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I'm going with J.Cole & 2nd Pusha T
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Lot of lurkers/Reason posters showing up with their J. Cole and Pusha T picks, good to see you posting :tu

Be sure to check out the more underground releases from that day though, as they'll definitely be sleepers if you miss them…
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I agree. i was a huge fan of internal affairs and Desire but i didnt feel that WAR was as good as those. Cunninlynguists dropped an album that blew their previous release away.

Yeah and to be honest, I wasn't as big a fan of Desire as others were either; I feel his Freestyle Fellowship stuff as well as Internal Affairs is much superior to his recent 'ish… it's expected though and I do really like some tracks from WAR as well… they're just not as 'up there' as the rest of his catalog.
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    20 days can't come fast enough!
  • ThatA
    ThatA Members Posts: 566
    edited September 2011
    I been waiting on Cole World for two years now, but that Pusha T album is lookin' real fine to me. That Big Krit album can be put on hold for a while for that bad mixtape he took out like two weeks ago.

I just realized imma have to save up a lotta cash to buy these albums in about two weeks....
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited September 2011
    Thread in The Reason says Big Krit's is pushed back.

• chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    King remembered in time/
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    Damn this is tough... I'm waiting for that J. Cole and KRIT (shame about the push back) but I got a lot of high hopes for the Phonte record. Plus 9th Wonder has the capability to release some dope too... I think I'm gonna go with Charity Starts At Home though
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Who the ? is Phonte? Never heard about him. Gave my vote on J.Cole
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    20 days can't come fast enough!

Definitely, looking forward to Charity Starts at Home more than any other album released this year (apart from Oneirology/Section 80).
    Thread in The Reason says Big Krit's is pushed back.

That's a good move given the talent dropping on that day.
    Damn this is tough... I'm waiting for that J. Cole and KRIT (shame about the push back) but I got a lot of high hopes for the Phonte record. Plus 9th Wonder has the capability to release some dope too... I think I'm gonna go with Charity Starts At Home though

Nice AV F&L :tu One of my favourite covers.

I agree with you, Charity Starts at Home should be incredible. Can't wait to see how Phonte's Foreign Exchange years have affected his song making ability when rapping; he was already gifted with it, but I think his selecting of his best lines to sing on a song will have improved his ability to pen a track.
    Who the ? is Phonte? Never heard about him. Gave my vote on J.Cole

Heard of Little Brother or The Foreign Exchange? He's the rapper/singer in both groups… he's a really gifted emcee and artist. You should check him out.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    This is what Essence is really built for, you guys never heard of any of these rappers, I'd suggest you google them!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    traestar wrote: »
    This is what Essence is really built for, you guys never heard of any of these rappers, I'd suggest you google them!!

Tell 'em how it is, Trae!!!! Essence Army in full effect lol
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Tell 'em how it is, Trae!!!! Essence Army in full effect lol

They don't hear me tho
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    This is super duper tough to choose. I have J. Cole, 9th and Phote's albums already in my basket to be purchased from Amazon.com, So I am getting those 3 for sure. I tried to look up Big K.R.I.T album on there but they don't have it listed as coming out. After careful consideration I would buy Cole's album because I don't know if he will mix his sound up on the album or show any new growth as a producer and artist. So I am eagerly waiting to see what he does. Phonte and 9th I know what they are going to do as far as the sound and subject matter so I'm just anticipating there consistent greatness.
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    Oh yeah I gotta cop that Pusha T album also. I didn't even know that ? was coming out so I have another joint to pick up on the 27th! Man its gonna be a great day for hip hop
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    This is super duper tough to choose. I have J. Cole, 9th and Phote's albums already in my basket to be purchased from Amazon.com, So I am getting those 3 for sure. I tried to look up Big K.R.I.T album on there but they don't have it listed as coming out. After careful consideration I would buy Cole's album because I don't know if he will mix his sound up on the album or show any new growth as a producer and artist. So I am eagerly waiting to see what he does. Phonte and 9th I know what they are going to do as far as the sound and subject matter so I'm just anticipating there consistent greatness.

I would check UGHH too tho, sometimes the albums come packaged with extra CDs/LPs or other perks. Amazon is still great tho!!
  • The 3mcee
    edited September 2011
    I would check UGHH too tho, sometimes the albums come packaged with extra CDs/LPs or other perks. Amazon is still great tho!!

I never heard of that site. I will check it out. Thanks for the info
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011

I'll co-sign the UGHH recommendation. Great site. They usually have offers on from time to time too; they're worth signing up to the mailing list for. They also sell clothing and often have more offers on clothing than their CD's.

To be honest, if their forum wasn't filled with debatable posters, it'd be a great forum to post on. But it doesn't have the community feel or conversation that we have here.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    it boils down to phonte and j cole for me but i think i gotta give it to phonte, i been waiting for a true solo joint from him since the listenin
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    No more KRIT. Damn. Change my vote to Ev.
  • Louie V. Slugger
    Louie V. Slugger Members Posts: 392
    edited September 2011
    3 NC cats got Albums coming out on the same day? And none of them is named Petey Pablo?

Carolina has finally made it!
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    edited September 2011
    going with phonte, 2nd j.cole, 3rd 9th. Sep 27 is going to be a good day for hip hop especially NC hip hop!
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited September 2011
    11 days! Since Krit isn't comiing out, I'm changing my choice to Phonte. If I HAD to, lol.