Playlist: Nominate 10 tracks for The Greatest Underground Hip Hop Tracks of All Time

Options
13»

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »
    MF DOOM - Doomsday
    Ryu - I Did it to Myself
    Nujabes/Shing02 - Luv Sic Pt. 3
    Celph Titled - Primo's Four Course Meal
    Blue Scholars - Sagaba
    Handsome Boy Modeling School ft. Encore - Waterworld
    Bronze Nazareth - Bronzeman
    Five Deez - Decapitated Orgasms
    Moongod Allah - Fifty Days of Sword Practice
    Common Market - Escaping Arkham

Man, that's an interesting drop, in fact, most of your list is with Common Market and Five Deez making the cut :tu Good to see Celph Titled as well...

But seriously? Is Luv Sic Pt. 3 your favourite track from Nujabes? It's a great song and I'm a fan of Shing, no doubt. I just don't know if it would be in my top 5 Nujabes…
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Jedi Mind Tricks – Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story
    Army of The Pharoahs - Seven
    Murs - The Pain
    Cunninlynguists - The Gates
    Brother Ali - Picket Fence
    Atmosphere - ? You Lucy
    Snowgoons feat. Viro The Virus - Starlight
    Fashawn - Why
    Immortal Technique - You Never Know
    Masta Ace - Acknowledge

Acknowledge is one of my favorite disses of all time. Lethal.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Acknowledge is one of my favorite disses of all time. Lethal.

Lil Wayne/Lil Zane duet lol. I heard this on Disposable Arts but I don't know the whole story with him and Boogieman? I have seen this battle though:

I don't know if it's the video edit, but Ace comes across as though he's lost… few lines spit, where as Boogieman who seems to have revised his lines, actually brings something… I liked the titanic line from Ace, but otherwise, not the best battle I've ever seen…
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Man, that's an interesting drop, in fact, most of your list is with Common Market and Five Deez making the cut :tu Good to see Celph Titled as well...

But seriously? Is Luv Sic Pt. 3 your favourite track from Nujabes? It's a great song and I'm a fan of Shing, no doubt. I just don't know if it would be in my top 5 Nujabes…

I'll admit my list is kind of rushed.. but Shing02 wasn't part of the rushed part.. for me that song is the definition of hip-hop, and it's dope how he writes the verses with the same writing pattern, but changes the words to reflect the message behind each verse.. as I'm typing this tho, I just realized I left out If I Had A Day To Live by Funky DL and Nujabes.. :| it can be so hard to narrow it down to just 10 songs haha
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'll admit my list is kind of rushed.. but Shing02 wasn't part of the rushed part.. for me that song is the definition of hip-hop, and it's dope how he writes the verses with the same writing pattern, but changes the words to reflect the message behind each verse.. as I'm typing this tho, I just realized I left out If I Had A Day To Live by Funky DL and Nujabes.. :| it can be so hard to narrow it down to just 10 songs haha

Imagine having 10 tracks to listen to for the rest of your life then forgetting one that you truly want to have in your life haha ? man, could beat yourself up for years…

Anyways, I agree wholeheartedly that Shing provides some great lyrics on nigh on every track that he blesses, none more evident than Love Sic Part 3. but as a whole, for production, I can think of other tracks that really outshine that one for me anyways… like Beat Laments the World, which to me is one of the greatest pieces of music I've heard or Feather with Cise Starr and Akin…. I'm still pondering my songs… I'm not as good as everyone else choosing so quickly ha.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    Options

Enemies with Benefits is your favourite CunninLynguists track?! It wouldn't make my top 10, but it's definitely one of the best from Oneirology!

Its a recent pick, but I think the song is just absolutely perfect in every way. Hard choice tho.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Its a recent pick, but I think the song is just absolutely perfect in every way. Hard choice tho.

Yeah, it's an easy pick in ways from Oneirology, even if I do prefer Stars Shine Brightest, it seemed to be the general feeling when it dropped that EWB was the standout track… I just loved Deacon on SSB.

It's funny how much Tonedeff has influenced some of CL's biggest hits, but he was the founder of the label, I guess.

He needs to stop his selflessness though and get Chico & The Man out with KNO.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Imagine having 10 tracks to listen to for the rest of your life then forgetting one that you truly want to have in your life haha ? man, could beat yourself up for years…

Anyways, I agree wholeheartedly that Shing provides some great lyrics on nigh on every track that he blesses, none more evident than Love Sic Part 3. but as a whole, for production, I can think of other tracks that really outshine that one for me anyways… like Beat Laments the World, which to me is one of the greatest pieces of music I've heard or Feather with Cise Starr and Akin…. I'm still pondering my songs… I'm not as good as everyone else choosing so quickly ha.

ya youre right.. damn haha
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ya youre right.. damn haha

haha it's good that you're listening to J-Hip Hop anyways, you checked my Vol 2. in the stickied thread? Japanese Joy Vol. 2?