Essence opionion on the J cole song?

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
The Mr Nice watch?

im a fan of Cole. not a huge fan but hes better than alot of these newcomers. whats your guys opinion on the new song? tbh i dont like it. pretty poppy. i know hes going for that mainstream single but this song sucks imo. and the one i heard Jay Z sounded like a little kid in it.

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    ewww, thats ugly and too botchy IMO! Sounds like a industry standard tho, whatever floats their boat.

Lyrically its not bad for whats provided...

I could see this type song on a NBA 2k or Madden
  • SunZoo_aka_LC
    SunZoo_aka_LC Members Posts: 267
    edited September 2011
    its a horrible song... if jcole can't get on off his own talent, he shouldn't be rapping...
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Didn't like it, will skip it on the album.
  • micfiendsbro
    micfiendsbro Members Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    cole can do waaaay better than this but i guess thats what you have to do to fit in.
    too early to be mailing it in like his boss.
    we used to get that really good 1st album b4 artists went out like this

btw...Loy Cypher? hmmm...
    UGHH alum maybe?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Im not familiar with UGHH
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I'm not a fan in all honesty, I'm surprised Jay-Z jumped on this even if it does borrow from him; it's a weak track, particularly when it's in full flow… when he breaks it down and takes the overly busy beat out, then it's decent… but I can't imagine bumpin' this regularly… not his biggest fan, but there's a lot of slower tracks from him that I really like… this isn't it.

This'll probably be the last thread on J. Cole (now that he's signed and about to release a Major) in The Essence.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Wasnt really feeling it..........Kinda annoying song. Hopefully its a grower haha

Ive pre-ordered it so i hope the rest of the album delivers.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Wasnt really feeling it..........Kinda annoying song. Hopefully its a grower haha

Ive pre-ordered it so i hope the rest of the album delivers.

You a big fan? I think it's a shame how in effect, he's switching it up rather than sticking with the formula that made his fans love him… you lose your core values when you do 'ish like this, IMO. First the chick flick track that was okay because of the sample that he stole and then this, which to me is just a throwaway track…
  • micfiendsbro
    micfiendsbro Members Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    You a big fan? I think it's a shame how in effect, he's switching it up rather than sticking with the formula that made his fans love him… you lose your core values when you do 'ish like this, IMO. First the chick flick track that was okay because of the sample that he stole and then this, which to me is just a throwaway track…
    yeah its called selling his ass. a trait he probably picked up from his boss.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    yeah its called selling his ass. a trait he probably picked up from his boss.

Or was forced into by his boss… track is terrible… how can he give Kendrick Lamar a track like 'Hiii Power' and release this himself???
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Or was forced into by his boss… track is terrible… how can he give Kendrick Lamar a track like 'Hiii Power' and release this himself???

I think that's the difference between being on the indie scene and being on a major label. I don't think he needed to release a hit but there's always been that pressure. I mean, for what it is, it's a good song. It's definitely got that electric influence and I can understand a lot of people disliking it. The stuff from the album hasn't been as good as I was hoping though...

And of all the songs Jay-Z went on, I don't think that should have been it. Ah well. I'm just gonna wait for the album to drop and listen and make a judgement then
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    wtf did i just listen to? I really wish i didnt listen to it one song can drop your album to the bottom of my list. Its gonna be a hit song but i wouldve expected this from drake not cole.

You can still see he can rap but that makes it even more sad...why subject yourself to this?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    It frightens me what will happen with electronicas album. I know he signed with Roc because of the artistic freedom he was able to keep. but i still feel like he will be pressured to sell big units by jay.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    JayZ's verse is pretty much saying, it's your time to shine but i'm gonna destroy you on your track without trying.
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited September 2011
    Not a huge fan of Mr Nice Watch either.