Isnt it funny....watching MSNBC about recent executions and troy davis

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
In Texas a white man was executed for killing James Byrd back in '98. This was a horrific incident. If you are not familiar with the story...google it and u will see. But basically the black man was chained to the back of a pickup and drug for two miles. He was eventually decapitated.

However, the family of Mr Byrd asked the state not to execute the defendant.

Ok...In Jackson, Mississippi, a black man was beatup and then run over by a group of white teens in a truck. Can't recall the victims name. Anyway, the black family asks the court/state not to sentence the guilty party to death.

In both cases the defendants admitted and/or had video of their crimes. The guilty defendants are white.

Now...Troy Davis is in Georgia. This time, its a black man. 7 of 9 witnesses have changed their stories or even admitted to lying when they testified against Troy Davis.

The family of the white victims plea to the state?

"? him....i'm waiting on that call and our family is out there to watch it ".

I just find it funny in a sad way how the white family family in GA differed from the black families in TX and MS.

Interesting.

Comments

• d.green
    edited September 2011
    Options
    CNN reports the white family that was there at the execution smiled and hugged after Davis was promounced dead.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    In Texas a white man was executed for killing James Byrd back in '98. This was a horrific incident. If you are not familiar with the story...google it and u will see. But basically the black man was chained to the back of a pickup and drug for two miles. He was eventually decapitated.

However, the family of Mr Byrd asked the state not to execute the defendant.

Ok...In Jackson, Mississippi, a black man was beatup and then run over by a group of white teens in a truck. Can't recall the victims name. Anyway, the black family asks the court/state not to sentence the guilty party to death.

In both cases the defendants admitted and/or had video of their crimes. The guilty defendants are white.

Now...Troy Davis is in Georgia. This time, its a black man. 7 of 9 witnesses have changed their stories or even admitted to lying when they testified against Troy Davis.

The family of the white victims plea to the state?

"? him....i'm waiting on that call and our family is out there to watch it ".

I just find it funny in a sad way how the white family family in GA differed from the black families in TX and MS.

Interesting.

Part of it has to do with forgiveness and redemption, which many Blacks who attend church/have a Christian background believe in.

As far the how the family of the murdered cop feel/felt about Troy Davis, in spite of the evidence of the contrary, not surprising one bit.
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I realized long ago that I shouldn't expect consistency with justice
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I feel for the victim's family but some of the statements they have made has made me look at them different. I mean they act like there is no doubt in Davis being guilty.
  • bbwthick23
    bbwthick23 Members Posts: 954 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    why in 2011 are black people still shocked by uneven justice?
  • d.green
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cake4real wrote: »
    I feel for the victim's family but some of the statements they have made has made me look at them different. I mean they act like there is no doubt in Davis being guilty.

That family is ice cold.
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Whites stay on the offensive
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So.....3 random crimes/situations, 3 different families...why fall back to (pathetic) polarising statements? The problem here obviously lies with the ancient death penalty sentence, no civlised nation on earth should rock the death penalty anno 2011.

LMAO anti social neantherthaler dna? once you cats realize how anti social your own filosofy is, you see the anti social racist standing in the mirror

lol
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    I find it weird how people say that we're all the same, regardless of color when in fact those of non direct african lineage have anywhere from 1-4% neanderthal DNA. It takes about 50 thousand genes to code for the brain alone. 1-4% of that could make a big difference.

You say that to say what? There are people with actual brain diseases that have more compassion than fully functional person with hate in their blood. Hate is not discriminant.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    I find it weird how people say that we're all the same, regardless of color when in fact those of non direct african lineage have anywhere from 1-4% neanderthal DNA. It takes about 50 thousand genes to code for the brain alone. 1-4% of that could make a big difference.

You do realize this position allows for whites and Asians to have other mental differences such as higher or lower IQ.

This also falsifies the 'Out of Africa' model for the origin of man and give an enormous boost to the multi-regional hypothesis. Of course you would not see these as you just want to cast a little racial hatred about this morning.

And just out of curiosity how do you know that Neanderthals were anti-social?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    while we are also protesting aginst wrongful justice can we fix our communities as well though? What hurts me more is the fact that ? ? other nigas over stupid ? every day. How are we going to stand for jutice as a race when we are racist against our own people? There are people that protested aginst last nights choice that either encouraged or participated in killing a fellow black brother or sister. If we can't stop killing each other how are we going to ? of injustices within our own community. Just like the government at times some people in the black community are too reactionary...we cry and vote after a black president and we protest and argue after someone is on death row about to be killed after numerous attempts in the past decade to ? troy davis. We have to expect better form ourselves and fellow black people before we can stand against other issues affecting us all.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    uolag wrote: »
    Mumia is next

Mumia probably did it, though.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    every day we leathally inject each other with hate, light skin vs dark skin racism, black on black crime, and drugs that will lead to our fellow black people dying. its expected that the justice system will fail us but the more ? up thing is that we are killing and ruining each others lives....yet we cant get a consistent united protest against that................
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Anthropologist do not claim Neanderthal was anti-social. There has been a paper that cites Neanderthal isolationist tendencies as a cause for their extinction. This has been reported in the media as 'anti-social' but not by the anthro guys. All they said was Neanderthal tended to live is small communities of 30 to 50 individuals will little contact with groups near them. When game was scare they did not have others to rely on. ? sapiens on the other hand tended to travel over a larger area and interact with other group more often. Looking at how these communities operated you find that both extended compassion towards their members with several remains being recovered that showed individuals healing extremely debilitating injuries. Both were highly social.

So we have one group that stuck to itself and when things got bad left those near them alone while they died out. (Apparent path of the Neanderthal) The second ranged over great distances and when things got bad relied on their neighbors to survive. (Either through their kindness or by force) Given these 2 dynamics it seems we did not inherit our 'anti-social' traits from the Neanderthal.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited September 2011
    Options
    this is why we shouldnt have the death penalty except for special cases. brutal crimes caught on video or overwhelming evidence(? fingerprint at the crime scene, dna in a dead ? victim, etc) otherwise just give dangerous offenders life w/o parole w/ no extra privileges for good behavior, no tv or card games, no movie night or workouts, no commecary. give them bread and water and maybe a book and thats it.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    No!! it's not a white man's world - just the other day two innocent white people (college students) were executed....NOW tell me that some whites shouldn't be Leary of social issues. BTW the media ignored that story.

LMAO this dude came in like a missle
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Why was this such a big story?
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Why was this such a big story?

This is one of the many examples of Black men being executed when there are serious doubts about their guilt.
    His story was widely publicized, there have been other men whose story didn't make any headlines, and it is later revealed that they were indeed innocent, after they were executed.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    This is one of the many examples of Black men being executed when there are serious doubts about their guilt.
    His story was widely publicized, there have been other men whose story didn't make any headlines, and it is later revealed that they were indeed innocent, after they were executed.

How do they know he's innocent?